Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 10:26 AM

15,110 posts, read 32,134,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
They would have $10/check to put in if they didn't cash them at the liquor store....
I'll repeat........... They don't makek enough money to warrant having a bank account, and don't like banks. She gets a pension from her deceased husband every month which is $706, and he collects cans and bottles for the rest of the money that they need for rent, their power bill, and other expenses. They have no phone, no computer, no cable, and don't want them.

There are still people out there who don't have bank accounts, and others who dislike direct deposit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,305 times
Thumbs up Get a grip

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
LOL, anyone see this dumb a$$ commercial which is a obvious attempt to get you to spend money in their store after that check is cashed-lol

What fool would go out of their way to cash a paycheck at Walmart with all the banks in the world? I have seen it all now,
It's not that foolish and Walmart isn't any more out of the way then a bank. And your last comment, I have seen it all now, is funny to me. That you are that loose from reality that you would say that, as if you can't beleive that Walmart has some kind of marketing team that sets prices and thinks of all kind of ways to get costumers to the store. In your head though you probably imagine evil men in suits trying to trap people into buying food there or using their services to pay your gas bill. Anyways I've cashed plenty of checks at Walmart and other places that also sell retail and produce, due to a remarkable amount of debt I accrued in my 20's my accounts are still frozen. And imagine my surprise to realize that I could walk right out after words. Less fuss and a smaller line then banks. It's extremely convenient and I couldn't fix my financial situation without such places. I would surley be homeless.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,104 posts, read 80,174,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'll repeat........... They don't makek enough money to warrant having a bank account, and don't like banks. She gets a pension from her deceased husband every month which is $706, and he collects cans and bottles for the rest of the money that they need for rent, their power bill, and other expenses. They have no phone, no computer, no cable, and don't want them.

There are still people out there who don't have bank accounts, and others who dislike direct deposit.
Anyone can afford an account at a credit union, where there is no monthly charge, no minimum balance, and you actually get paid interest even on a $5 balance. Cashing checks for $3 is actually a bargain. Back when I was in a college I worked at a liquor store (1970s) and we cashed them but required a $10 purchase.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:36 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,719,256 times
I remember the " good old days"

Nearly every bar kept enough money on hand to cash payroll checks on Friday.

They never charged a penny for dong so, either.

Old 12-28-2013, 02:52 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,719,256 times
I am a Walmart supporter/shopper , however, I think Walmart should alter their check cashing policy.

Charge $3 but give a coupon that enables you to get that $3 refunded if your bill at the cash register ( that day ) is over $50.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:16 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,343,118 times
I once worked at a grocery store that would cash pay checks for a $3 fee. But you could use the $3 towards a $20 purchase. So if you bought groceries from us, it was free to cash a check. The funny thing is, we'd cash a bunch of checks but redeemed very few check fees.

Someone came through my line having just cashed a check and wanted a pack of cigarettes and nothing else. He got mad when I said he had to spend $20 to use the check fee receipt. He was amazed people spent more than $20 in one visit to the grocery store.

Another time I was cashing a check and the person through the receipt back in my face and said "This is what I think of the fee". I didn't mind, because that saved me $3 on my next shopping trip.

Bottom line......Wal-Mart is not a bank, so they can charge whatever they want to cash a pay check. Yes, it gets people in their store with a wad of cash in their hands, but you do not have to spend it there. Get a bank account if you don't like the policy.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,044 times
You can also use your brain, and judgement and leave to go to a Target to buy you aforementioned "****".

People that buy into banks are the real idiots.

Old 11-06-2014, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 948 times
Well that is just smart business if you ask me. No one is forced to cash their check at Wal-Mart, nor is anyone forced to spend their money at Wal-Mart. Most individuals have was it called free will which allows them to make a choice for themselves whether or not to do something. There are very few retail companies that I can think of that do not have the intention of trying to gain business of consumers. As a matter of fact, I seem to recall a method often used by most retailers called advertising that they utilize to gain our business. In addition to advertising their products, many also offer additional incentives such as coupons, member discount cards, price-matching and other offers like Buy One Get One Free, etc., all in the hopes that a consumer will choose their store to shop at rather than one of their competitors. Other services have become offered by retailers such as check cashing or bill pay in order to branch out and reach even more consumers and gain their business. A company that doesn't hope that a customer will shop at their store does not seem very reasonable or realistic. I do not believe it is a conspiracy or an ill intended scheme that Wal-Mart would want someone to spend their money and purchase their items there. As I said in the beginning, each of us have free will and make a decision for ourselves where to spend our hard earned cash and where not to.

Old 11-06-2014, 09:52 PM

389 posts, read 424,245 times
Lol, I remember seeing this commercial when it first came out!! They made it sound like they were doing us a favor!!! Ridiculous...... Not a fan of Walmart or their ignorant commercials..

Old 11-07-2014, 11:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 40,990,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbear1234 View Post
Lol, I remember seeing this commercial when it first came out!! They made it sound like they were doing us a favor!!! Ridiculous...... Not a fan of Walmart or their ignorant commercials..
Speaking of ignorance... have you read this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products