U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 05:49 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,690,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Lots of people do not have checking accounts and 3.00 is a lot less than some of the other places.
BINGO !

surprised that the OP was unaware of that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 05:59 PM

321 posts, read 953,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
You get all that free because your check is direct deposited right and you probably keep a certain amount in it at all times??

Well I don't have a job and I don't have money to deposit and keep it at a certain level all the time.

I make money where I can.

Some people are so ignorant about what this country is going through.
Nope, no minimum deposit. And no requirement to have a direct deposit. You just have to look for the account terms. Look at the smaller, local banks instead of the huge ones that need the bailouts.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:00 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,122,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
No I have free checking with a bank and I do not have direct deposit, my online stuff is free, pay bills, whatever. They do give me an alert message if my account is under 100.00. Trust me, it is free and I don't have a lot of money to play with and would not pay for a checking acct.
I sure would like to know the name of that bank so I can have an account again. If you don't want to put it in the thread, can you send it too me in a DM??

I have found in my area that if I send in a check to pay a bill, they have a service charge or if I do it over the phone or online, I go to the water department to pay my water, no surcharge. I can do the same thing with the gas department which is just down the road AND I can pay the electric bill for just a buck at Amscott.

When I had a checking account the only way to have it free was under certain terms I can no longer meet. I have a debit card through walmart that I can put money on if I want to but of course they charge a service fee every month. Its more often used when a family member wants to send money to my daughter for a birthday or holiday.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:10 PM

10,739 posts, read 32,122,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I was just poking fun at Walmart's poor uncreative attempt to get more customers. From the commercial it's obvious what they are trying to do.
Actually in reality they do alot of things to make life MORE convenient. You can go to my Walmart and get your hair cut, colored or permed, you can get your eyes examined and get your glasses made up there while you shop, you can get pictures taken of your family, you can get a full manicure or pedicure while your there as well and as someone else has mentioned, you can go to Walmart and pay $4 for scripts that cost alot more money else where. In fact if you want the same deal at Walgreens you have to join some kind of club.
When they first started doing that, Walgreens wanted to charge me $50 a month for the medication I needed, Walmart gave it too me for $4 a month.

Walmart is a very successful enterprise, they have stores literally all over the world.

As for banks, I will never have an account with Bank of America again. They decided they were going to start holding my deposited checks and gave me no notice of the change in the time it would take to post the amount to my account. On one occasion the company I worked for at the time was based on out California and they didn't have auto-deposit. My boss took the time to go and deposit the company check herself for me, they held the check anyway. Then my Mother sent me a check for my daughter and my birthday, they held her check as well. If they had checked the history on that account, they would have seen that over the rather lengthy history of me having that account my Mother had deposited more then $30,000 over time to that account and the checks had never bounced. If there was concern they could have contacted the bank and found that not only did my Mother have overdraw privileges but her account was backed up by a savings account. That was how my Mother used to send money to me from my inheritance. The bank that the check was drawn on was chartered and owned by my Father at one point.

I was so disgusted with them, I simply will NOT use them again. They totally ruined my daughters birthday that year. They held both of these checks with no warning and I had no money to purchase anything for my daughter birthday party or presents.

I have used Walmart but I prefer Amscott. Amscott money orders are free and the fee to pay your bills there is alot cheaper. However just about everything else including getting my hair cut, I do at good old Walmart.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:09 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,275,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
BINGO !

surprised that the OP was unaware of that
Aware of There are a whole lot of things that he doesn't even have any suspicions of

Old 09-07-2009, 10:19 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,275,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I sure would like to know the name of that bank so I can have an account again.
Find a Credit Union you can join. Many only require residence in the country. I did a quick search and the first one I found in a Google search for "orlando credit unions" has the following requirements for membership.
Quote:
Persons, who live, work, worship, volunteer or attend school in Orange, Osceola, Seminole, or Lake Counties Florida.
I to would never consider an account at BoA or any other 'big' bank, but I love the Credit Unions I am a member of.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:07 PM

34,462 posts, read 43,333,237 times
Just the usual

YouTube - train wreck

Old 09-08-2009, 10:40 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,133,310 times
Quote:
LOL, anyone see this dumb a$$ commercial which is a obvious attempt to get you to spend money in their store after that check is cashed-lol

What fool would go out of their way to cash a paycheck at Walmart with all the banks in the world? I have seen it all now,

You apparently haven't been around. Others charge the same or more. Unless it written on the particular bank or you have a account at the bank ;many willot cash the check for people. Get arouind more.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:23 PM

15,596 posts, read 7,667,954 times
Quote:
What fool would go out of their way to cash a paycheck at Walmart with all the banks in the world? I have seen it all now,
That "fool" has a job. You don't.

Bye bye now.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:24 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,614 posts, read 51,132,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
That "fool" has a job. You don't.

Bye Bye now.

I have a job Dipsh*T. Are you slightly retarded?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products