U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 03:18 AM

71 posts, read 392,742 times

Advertisements

I went to Lowes and bought a refrigerator, a dishwasher, a clothes washer and a dryer during their sale. I used my moving coupon for 30% off and bought a Whirlpool Duet with a $250 rebate. They also price matched Costco's 1700 deal before taking the 30% off. I looked at consumer reports and they gave the washers and dryers very favorable reviews.

Now that I'm home, I'm looking at Lowe's and Sear's websites, and there are a lot of terrible customer reviews. There's complaints that the sensors are always giving faulty error codes, the motor burns out after a year, and socks getting stuck in the window.

Even though the washer and dryer were only $1200, I'm thinking I should cancel the order and stick with my old machine. I was upgrading because my old washing machine is about 3 cubic feet (I measured the inside and did the math... I can't find the model on GE's website to confirm this) and these new machines would be 4 cubic feet. Also, supposedly side loading washing machines are superior at cleaning, gentlessness and efficiency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 AM

2,480 posts, read 4,722,307 times
I have had my whirlpool duet washer and dryer since 8/2004.
Have not had one problem/service call. I love them.Great capacity. The one thing I do is after a wash is to leave the door slightly ajar to let it dry and avoid any odors.
I also recall having to do this with my top loader.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:47 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
You have to take customer reviews with a grain of salt. In fact many may not even be customers in these days.If you sold a million anyhting their would be some that didn't like or had trouble with anyhting.Some that for wahtever reason will write a bad review on thngs they don't own. Not many will search for a site to compliment a product.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:17 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,210,140 times
I am a big fan of Sears products. Our Whirlpool washer and dryer are still going strong and they are both 16 years old. The only service we had to do on either of them was replace the heating element in the dryer.) We have Kitchen Aid appliances in our kitchen and Kenmore air conditioners in our windows. They are all fairly new (2 years old) but, knock on wood, no problems or breakdowns so far!

Another reason we like Sears is because it's so easy to get replacement parts. That's not always the case with other brands.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:00 PM

13,293 posts, read 21,211,831 times
Have had our Duet washer and dryer for four years with no problems at all.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:23 AM

18,540 posts, read 55,453,855 times
We bought our set after DWs daughter had hers for about five years without a problem. We (touch wood) haven't had problems either.

Old 09-14-2009, 12:59 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,797,878 times
I will have to look at our brand, but we have one of the smaller all-in-one washers (only one that woudl fit our space).

It works great, BUT, since it was scaled from a larger model, every year or so we have to pull it out, pop it open and de-lint the drier passage (the plastic that takes the hot air out of the drier and brings it through the condenser unit). Lint builds up because of its smaller size.

The only other problem is simply that it is SMALL, you can only load so much, and things are usually more wrinkled than when they are done in a full size.

As for the comments on the site, you have to take them with a grain of salt. Unlike places like Newegg, people are not prompted to give a review 3/6/12 months after purchase. You usually ony get the reviews from the people who are angry about the machine.

If you see a BUNCH of comments, all given in a short period of time, that may indicate a problem, but if you only see one comment per month, I am sure that MANY units were sold in that period. Take a look at other models and see what their comments have, if they have more or less complaints, what frequency do the people complain, and LOOK AT THEIR NAMES. You would be surprised at how many washers some people own!!

Old 09-29-2010, 11:33 AM

1 posts, read 30,936 times
Default Whirlpool duet washer dead

7 years is the full life I received from what I thought was a good machine. Bearing on main tub going, appears from repair service person this isn't a fixable solution. so just 7 years, this is bad.. still is working, but I guess on borrowed time. severe knocking during spin cycles, was told this is from large amounts of soap, but we never even use what the machine says you can use. very dissapointed..

time to change manufacture i guess..

Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 AM

4 posts, read 13,552 times
Last 5 years using my Whirlpool duet washer and it never have a single complaint, we do use detergent for washing purpose normally. Use bleach separately for light color clothes.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:52 PM

14,415 posts, read 24,437,538 times
Personally, I MUST admit that I am confused about the newer front-load washing machines.

I talk to the engineers who design the components for the machines and Whirlpool employees who make them and all I get are glowing, positive reviews about how great the technology is, EVEN THOUGH they admit that they have had problems with them.

I talk to a group of independent repair technicians as well as Sears technicians who relate dozens of horror stories about how expensive the repairs are and how often the circuit boards fail and the like.

My friends tell me that the wash is less clean than they expected as they find hair all over the clothes.

So at this point, I am sticking with my 15 year old top loading washer (Kitchen Aid) which has been relatively problem free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products