U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 10:52 PM

28,395 posts, read 48,154,368 times

Advertisements

Thinking about buying a John Deere model LA115 or LA125 riding mower. Has anyone had any problems with John Deere products?

Thanks, John

Here is some consumer complaints I have found on net so far.

Consumer complaints about John Deere
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,358,185 times
Maybe the rural and small town living section will yield more answers. Lots of riding mowers in my neck of the woods, but we don't own one for a review. Hope you find out more.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:37 PM

2,800 posts, read 6,365,131 times
Personally, no. But I did a lot of research before buying my tractor. The Negative reviews/complaints really soured my opinion of John Deere, but I found that the X300 series and better models are built a lot better.

Unfortunately some people do not want to pay the kind of money required to get a decent tractor. The John Deere you hear about being well built tanks like the model 318 were originally $6,000 new in the late 1970's, so do you really expect to pick up a well built tractor for around $2,000 at Lowes or Home Depot that holds up as well at something that cost 3 times as much 30 years ago? While I don't agree with John Deere policy of selling cheaper models thru places like Home Depot or Lowes, I don't think building low end equipment that fails within a few years hurts there reputation all that much. The fact of the matter is people buying this low end crap would have never forked over the 8 or 9 thousand dollars to get a quality product from John Deere, since John Deere never had a sale with these low end shoppers in the first place, they really didn't lose a customer.

John Deere still makes some quality products, but it's not until you get into the $3,000+ price range that you get anything well built and $8,000 base price for a X700 series which would compare to the John Deere from years ago.

As for someone recommending a Kubota over a John Deere, the cheapest, Kubota the T1880 will run you $3,350, that extra money goes a long way to getting you a better product, weather it's John Deere or Kubota. You better off spending more dollars to get a better product, than blowing $1,750 for a low end John Deere. Low end Equals Low Quality.

As for other brands, I think your going to find that any brand tractor is going to be junk at the low end of the market. There's plenty of people who say there old sears tractor held up a lot better than today's John Deere's, but anything built before 1980, tends to be better built than todays low end crap. I honestly don't think tractors from other vendors are going to be any better built at the low end of the market. Spend more, reguardless of the brand, pay for the quality, you'll be better off in the long run.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 PM

8,955 posts, read 17,972,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Thinking about buying a John Deere model LA115 or LA125 riding mower. Has anyone had any problems with John Deere products?

Thanks, John

Here is some consumer complaints I have found on net so far.

Consumer complaints about John Deere
This is a case where the parent company gets a black eye from the sub-contacting company.

ALL JD LA mowers are subbed out to Murry and other second line makers. These JD mowers are sold in Lowes and walmats etc. The "X" and above series IS made by JD themselves and the quality/price reflect that and sold primarily by JD farm dealers which is where I bought my JD X300.

To see the difference visit a JD farm store to compare the two. It's really quite striking that the LA are so cheaply made and still carry the JD brand!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,198,491 times
I have an older STX model, I think its from the 80's, still going strong, all I really had to replace was the wiring harness and thats not bad for how old it is, still has the original paint and looks good, don't know if nowdays they are made as well, I could be wrong, they are really expensive now.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 25,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Two years ago, after only 90 hours, my L130 slowed down to the point I had to push it into the barn! In trying to fix it, I did all the obvious things: Replace the drive belt, flush the transaxle out and replace with new oil. Nothing worked. My JD dealer was no help either, other than to replace the transaxle for $750. That didn't seem like a smart move.

I did a lot of research, and discovered I could replace the worn out K46 with the much more powerful and reliable K66. There were also several other parts to replace, but not difficult to do. It was startling to experience the difference. It became the tractor I always wanted.

Since then, I have developed the DIY K66 Upgrade Kit. This kit will solve the stalling problems with the JD Lxxx/LXxxx and now the X300, which essentially uses the same transaxle.

To learn more about the kits, look on eBay ("John Deere K66") or at: [URL="http://www.RJRtractor.com"]Upgrade Kits for John Deere[/URL]

Old 11-05-2010, 11:14 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
Even the motors offered within the line make a difference.At some of the price for them at Lowes I would say if its a 42 inch cut that some of the newer 42 zero turns are worth the few extra dollars just for lawn cutting.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:34 PM

2,800 posts, read 6,365,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRtractor View Post
I did a lot of research, and discovered I could replace the worn out K46 with the much more powerful and reliable K66. There were also several other parts to replace, but not difficult to do. It was startling to experience the difference.
Upgrade kits are somewhere between $1,500 to almost 2k, a tab pricey for me. It's possible to swap out some of the parts in a K46 for around $250 to $300 and get it going good as new. It's definitely a tougher job than just replacing it though.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:10 AM

1 posts, read 22,904 times
Yes I have a John Deere La115 and the pain is peeling and
they tell me that nothing they can do for me. I hope if you buy
One this do not happen to any one else.
Thanks and have a great day
Andy

Old 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM

5,224 posts, read 13,630,390 times
I have a John Deere self-propelled push mower...10 years old...still starts with the 1st pull. I get it serviced regularly....had to replace the wheels, as I wore the tread off them...but I LOVE this mower!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products