Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 06:51 PM

109 posts, read 757,442 times

Advertisements

I am going to buy my child a cello and would like input on what to buy. She will need a 1/2 size or 3/4....she measures inbetween but I'd like to get a 3/4 so it fits longer. Also I don't really want to spend any more than $500 if I don't have to. What are some good brands? Brands not recommended? Here are some links to websites that I'm looking into:
Cellos including, Acoustic and Electric
Cecilio String Instruments Collection - Inexpensive cello for beginners, students, retirees....etc

ANy of these sound better than the others? I would like to at least get her a 300 or better.
Thanks! ....we already looked into renting and would rather just purchase!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Have you tried going to a music store that specializes in string instruments? Honestly... I wouldn't buy over the internet. I've purchased a viola from musiciansfriend and while it had great reviews it just didn't work for me and I ended up selling it in the end. When I purchased my upright bass (I play a full 4/4) I flew to Connecticut from California and tried out quite a few before I picked one out.

I would try going to a music store and having her try a few different types and brands out and then try looking for a deal. You don't have to spend a lot of money, but I recommend spending a bit of time.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:32 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
A music store to get familiar with the models first. After you decide on a certain model/s you can shop around. Another option is leasing a specific model and watching how it goes.
Good luck with your daughter's musical career!

Old 09-18-2009, 04:34 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,459,596 times
A music store to get familiar with the available models first. After you decide on a certain model/s you can shop around.
Another option is leasing a specific model and watching how it goes. Its even more important since you aren't sure about the size.
Good luck with your daughter's musical career!

Last edited by oberon_1; 09-18-2009 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: double post

Old 09-19-2009, 09:35 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
You should look at local stores. Perhaps you have a Sam Ash music store around. I don't think Guitar Center has these kinds of products (not that I recall), although they are the largest music store chain. The benefit of Sam Ash is you could try to ask for the price they list on their webstore, which might be cheaper.

Another bet is a used one from a local store. What you find with these kinds of instruments (wood), is that the original quality tends to last, even if it is lower priced from being used. A cheap new one is always a cheap one. I got an entry level cheap guitar, good for beginning but later got a better used one that is much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products