U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 02:31 PM

29 posts, read 55,232 times

Advertisements

if u loook like a Latina brown hair or brown eyes its gonna happen to u. i dont get annoyed b/c i speak it but with chinese nail salons i get bored b/c i cant undestand. if they are talking bout me i'll never know, what u dont know wont hurt u
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,951,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Who cares?

Learn some spanish then......

yeah.. learn more German
learn more French
Learn more Russian
Learn more Mandarin

oh wait...

Old 09-17-2009, 12:29 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,900 times
I don't care what language somebody speaks in front of me or too me.

But if they expect me to respond, they had better be speaking English because that's the only one I know.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 AM

1,008 posts, read 1,875,914 times
I personally LIKE having different languages and cultures all around me. I don't really understand why some people choose to see it as such a negative thing. I think it makes life more interesting.

America has always been a melting pot. I will say that we have let illegal immigration get completely out of control, I agree with that. That's part of the reason why our job market is so messed up, the Government letting illegal immigrants come in by the millions to support our agricultural industry.

But the USA has always been diverse and multi-cultural.

If you don't like it. There are still lots and lots and 95% white places in the US you can escape to.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 AM

10,442 posts, read 10,217,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
I personally LIKE having different languages and cultures all around me. I don't really understand why some people choose to see it as such a negative thing. I think it makes life more interesting.

America has always been a melting pot. I will say that we have let illegal immigration get completely out of control, I agree with that. That's part of the reason why our job market is so messed up, the Government letting illegal immigrants come in by the millions to support our agricultural industry.

But the USA has always been diverse and multi-cultural.

If you don't like it. There are still lots and lots and 95% white places in the US you can escape to.
Personally, I don't like feeling like a foreigner in my home country. As far as the "melting pot" thing goes, enough with the tired cliches -- we speak English here. Not good enough? Then allow me to hail an airport cab...

Old 09-17-2009, 02:45 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,227,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
No. Maybe you should learn some Spanish so you won't get so uncomfortable. There are plenty of people who feel more comfortable speaking in their native language. That's fine. If you don't like it, leave their business.
Maybe they should just speak english.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:46 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,227,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Personally, I don't like feeling like a foreigner in my home country. As far as the "melting pot" thing goes, enough with the tired cliches -- we speak English here. Not good enough? Then allow me to hail an airport cab...
I like the way you think.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,657,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
When I was visiting Vegas I felt a bit uncomfortable that all the staff at one store were speaking in Spanish - I got the impression that they were talking about the customers.

They could all speak english too - as we had asked them some questions, so I felt uncomfortable when they were pointedly talking in another language that I couldn't understand.

Aside from thatI don't mind if people speak in their own language - but it shouldn't be used as a secret code to gossip in front of people or to leave people out of conversations.
Unfortunately, that happens more often than one might think. Ask anyone who understands Spanish, but who in the company of other Spanish speakers is not assumed to understand it. The kind of stuff you hear in these conversations is sometimes off-putting.

Last edited by MrSykes; 09-17-2009 at 04:48 AM..

Old 09-17-2009, 05:05 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,856,276 times
If the cashier is speaking to the customer ahead of me--in Spanish--I'm not bothered at all. Nor would I be bothered if they were both speaking French, German, Chinese, Japanese, etc. Customer service requires you to speak to the customer in a language they are MOST comfortable with, if at all possible.

Here, in Florida, that language tends to be Spanish. In fact, I heard them request a Spanish speaking associate at work tonight before I clocked in to help a customer whose predominant language was Spanish.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:07 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,856,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Hey, in some places, that cabbie could be Indian or Pakistani...so I hope you speak those languages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products