U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 11:35 AM

23,440 posts, read 32,186,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I usually just speak back in German or French. Then when they ask me something in English, I just look at them confused. .
Try Klingon next time! LOL, that'll get 'em!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2009, 01:33 AM

3,932 posts, read 5,644,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dude View Post
I like the way you think.
Me too! How did the Asians corner the market on the nail salons? Thats all I ever see working at them.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:32 PM

3,857 posts, read 5,383,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
What I hate is when the cashier at the checkstand I'm in line at, and the two cashiers on either side of me, and all the customers being waited on are ALL speaking spanish. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone and wonder, "What the hell happened to my country?"
You can bet if you paid in pesos, they'd remember what country they're in.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:51 PM

8,415 posts, read 35,743,469 times
America is the only country where a 2nd language is not required.

Why do you want to listen in on people talking anyway?

If you pay attention enough and quit complaining you can learn it. Babies do it.
Are you dumber than a baby?

Is hearing about how drunk someone was last night in english just make your day?

Do you speak any native american?

Old 10-06-2009, 11:54 AM

32,836 posts, read 60,943,751 times
I'll greet people in Spanish -- they'll figure it's best not to talk about me in front of me in that language.

Years ago, I was in Chicago with friends; we were dressed comfortably for a day of sight-seeing and concert-going. Standing in line behind us to get into the restaurant for breakfast were two men, dressed in suits and speaking French. During the wait for a table, they began talking about how Americans dressed poorly, mentioning the people in the hotel in general and my three friends and me in particular. I let them go on for a few minutes, then turned around and in my best high school French told them that it was better to be dressed comfortably than to be rude and disrespectful to your fellow human beings. I wish I'd had my camera with me ... their faces were priceless!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:45 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,559,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Does anybody else get annoyed when a store employee is the one who starts speaking to a customer in Spanish? It's bad enough when customers begin jibber-jabbering in non-English, but when a store employee is the one who starts it all, that's really pushing it for me.
Ethnocentric much?

As a born American citizen, I have no problem with people using their own languages. I do have a problem with people who call other languages "jibber-jabber". When someone starts speaking Spanish or another language around me, I perk up and listen. I'm actually getting pretty good at Spanish, and I can stumble along in French and Italian as well. Besides, if they don't know you can understand it, sometimes you can hear some pretty funny things.

So lighten up and realize that not everybody has to fit into your narrow world-view.

Old 10-06-2009, 01:32 PM

883 posts, read 463,867 times
I do not care what language they speak
I have even learn to speak a few words in different languages
with some
Plus, just because they are speaking in a language unknown to you
does not mean they are gossiping or speaking about you or anyone in particular
it just means they are speaking in their native language among each other

Old 10-06-2009, 01:41 PM

35,080 posts, read 34,265,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Does anybody else get annoyed when a store employee is the one who starts speaking to a customer in Spanish? It's bad enough when customers begin jibber-jabbering in non-English, but when a store employee is the one who starts it all, that's really pushing it for me.
Turn around to the person next to you and start speaking gibberish. Every so often, point to the store employee.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:02 PM

28,611 posts, read 40,594,929 times
Hola!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:14 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,635,799 times
I live in an area that has been a pretty heavily Spanish speaking neighborhood even when my mom was little back in the 1940s. I went to school with kids that had English as a second language.

But this is where I draw the line. I went into my insurance agent after I got a new car to add to the policy. The receptionist behind the desk didn't speak nor read English too well. She had to head over to a neighboring office and get another Spanish speaker to help her. After they were gibbering away in Spanish over the computer with my policy I told them speak English or consider me a lost client.

After I finally asked for the 100th time where was my agent they said out. They had been ignoring all my questions before hand.

I told them to close the window on screen out and went and found another insurance agent 30 mins later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products