U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:25 PM

7,688 posts, read 25,956,372 times

Advertisements

Why should I? Around here employees talk to each other in whatever language they know, it gets stuff done faster. Don't be so paranoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,557,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
After I finally asked for the 100th time where was my agent they said out. They had been ignoring all my questions before hand.

I told them to close the window on screen out and went and found another insurance agent 30 mins later.
That's a customer service issue though. I know native English-speakers that are terrible at customer service, too.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:48 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,148,910 times
What really gets me is when I was working in retail, and someone would come up and ask me in broken English if I spoke Spanish. I'd say no, they'd ask for someone who speaks Spanish. I'd help get them to someone who does, and next I knew, my co-worker would be having a conversation with that person in English!

I've also had customers get mad and me for not speaking English.

I no longer deal with customers of any kind but where I work now, I find it interesting that the sales people here, who were raised speaking both English and Spanish; hate dealing with folks who will only speak Spanish. They treat their native language, almost as if it were a burden knowing it!

I have friends whose first language was Spanish, and they will not disclose to prospective employers that they know it.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:01 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,635,296 times
I have no problem with someone else speaking another language to get something done...except in the case of insurance which can become a legal matter if you don't know what you are getting into.

But over all customer service is just sliding down the tubes where ever ya go....

Old 10-07-2009, 05:57 PM

8,234 posts, read 11,748,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Personally, I don't like feeling like a foreigner in my home country. As far as the "melting pot" thing goes, enough with the tired cliches -- we speak English here. Not good enough? Then allow me to hail an airport cab...

and I am sure we could rally enough funds between us to put them on a plane as well....

+1

Old 10-11-2009, 05:36 AM

11,336 posts, read 17,382,766 times
It wouldn't bother me because I'd most likely understand them (or at least half of what they said) but I can't respond in Spanish properly (yet).

Old 10-14-2009, 11:53 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,359,941 times
Nope, It doesn't bother me a bit. I live in a city that is about 50% Hispanic, and I've never seen what you describe. Store clerks here always speak English, even to customers who who are obviously Spanish speakers, and switch only if the communication in English breaks down. Hispanics here all want to speak English, and practice every chance they get.

If you've ever traveled outside the US, you will quickly discover how hard it would be to always have to speak a foreign language, and never be able to relax and use your own language.

Lighten up and give people a break. Nobody owes you anything, least of all, to let you eavesdrop on their conversations.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:27 PM

17,931 posts, read 21,803,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaliforniaBear View Post
Who cares?

Learn some spanish then......
I have, just enough to shame some of these people.

The most important question: How long have you lived in this country?
Has vivido en los estados unidos, cuanto tiempo?

If they've been here a good number of years, and still can't speak any English, because they've been glued to the Spanish television programs in their free time instead of learning a few words of English every day, then I give them both barrels!

No time to learn English? Very, very, very lazy!

No tiempo a aprender Ingles? Muy, muy, muy perezoso!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-15-2009 at 06:28 PM.. Reason: change wording

Old 10-20-2009, 03:44 PM

3 posts, read 34,126 times
My native language is English and Spanish is my second language. I'm much more comfortable in English. I have found that it is really hard to speak Spanish to someone if they speak English better than I speak Spanish.
It's so natural to communicate in the most fluid way possible.

Here in Colombia, I have started to speak English to fellow whites that don't speak English. Big Deal! We just end up speaking Spanish.

I used to work in a restaurant that was all French and I didn't understand a word. If that didn't make me angry, what is wrong with these other people.

Everyone should learn a new language; I started learning Spanish when I was 31 and it just made my brain work better. It was like being young again and I was able to learn other things much better. I feel like I gained about 15% more brain power. Maybe it wasn't a coincidence that I went from being a cab drive to working in IT.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:05 AM

1,097 posts, read 3,618,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Personally, I don't like feeling like a foreigner in my home country. As far as the "melting pot" thing goes, enough with the tired cliches -- we speak English here. Not good enough? Then allow me to hail an airport cab...
Correction - YOU are too stupid to speak anything but English. People who live in the United States are free to speak whatever language they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products