Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 12:04 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,654,340 times

Advertisements

Does anybody else get annoyed when a store employee is the one who starts speaking to a customer in Spanish? It's bad enough when customers begin jibber-jabbering in non-English, but when a store employee is the one who starts it all, that's really pushing it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 12:14 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,452 times
When I was visiting Vegas I felt a bit uncomfortable that all the staff at one store were speaking in Spanish - I got the impression that they were talking about the customers.

They could all speak english too - as we had asked them some questions, so I felt uncomfortable when they were pointedly talking in another language that I couldn't understand.

Aside from thatI don't mind if people speak in their own language - but it shouldn't be used as a secret code to gossip in front of people or to leave people out of conversations.

Because that's not nice.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,078,991 times
Who cares?

Learn some spanish then......

Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,007,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Does anybody else get annoyed when a store employee is the one who starts speaking to a customer in Spanish? It's bad enough when customers begin jibber-jabbering in non-English, but when a store employee is the one who starts it all, that's really pushing it for me.
No. Maybe you should learn some Spanish so you won't get so uncomfortable. There are plenty of people who feel more comfortable speaking in their native language. That's fine. If you don't like it, leave their business.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:53 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
When I was visiting Vegas I felt a bit uncomfortable that all the staff at one store were speaking in Spanish - I got the impression that they were talking about the customers.

They could all speak english too - as we had asked them some questions, so I felt uncomfortable when they were pointedly talking in another language that I couldn't understand.

Aside from thatI don't mind if people speak in their own language - but it shouldn't be used as a secret code to gossip in front of people or to leave people out of conversations.

Because that's not nice.
Don't ever get your mani-pedi in one of those strip-mall nail salons then either. Same creepy feeling.

And yes, using another language expressly to gossip or exclude people is rude.

If, on the other hand, someone is using another language in an attempt to be helpful and friendly? I have no problem with that.

I've been known to whip out my rusty college-French when meeting visitors from France from time to time. So far no one has laughed or spit in my face.

Old 09-16-2009, 08:24 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,381 times
were they speaking it to you?
then don't worry about it.

i go to Thai restaurants where they speak Thai.
i go to Mexican restaurants where they speak Spanish.
sometimes, I go to the store and have the cashier serve me with flawless English then help the person behind me with Spanish, or Polish or whatever ethnicity is prominent in the neighborhood I'm shopping in.

i really love the bias against being smart enough to know more than one language in this country. it's really something to be proud of!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:40 AM

22,572 posts, read 47,633,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Does anybody else get annoyed when a store employee is the one who starts speaking to a customer in Spanish?
Nope!

That doesn't happen here at all.
Seriously.

Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,291,663 times
It has been a rule in our supermarkets for employees to speak only english. But often I hear Russian, Haitan (I don't really know what language that is, as it's a conglomerate), and Spanish.
I took spanish in school for 2 years and french for 3 and did terrible and don't remember a thing.
I did want italian so I could talk to dad and his family in their native tongue, but it wasn't offered.
And I've found I just don't have the nack.
I marvel at how people can talk 2+ languages simultaneously, as I was told you have to think in the language.
All this being said, retail is not about a particular product, per say, it's about CUSTOMER SERVICE.
If I need english spoken for that, and someone else needs different, I say job well done. More power to the business that can serve more. It's just good business.
But if employees are gossiping with whomever(but how would I know if I can't understand them) when they should be serving customers, that's not a language thing, but poor customer service.
That should be addressed with management.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:50 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
were they speaking it to you?
then don't worry about it.

i go to Thai restaurants where they speak Thai.
i go to Mexican restaurants where they speak Spanish.
sometimes, I go to the store and have the cashier serve me with flawless English then help the person behind me with Spanish, or Polish or whatever ethnicity is prominent in the neighborhood I'm shopping in.

i really love the bias against being smart enough to know more than one language in this country. it's really something to be proud of!
I sure didn't read anything nerdy in your post, Supernerdgirl. I totally agree with you. Plus, Chicago has always been the mecca for sociologists due to the wonderful ethnic blend in the city.

I speak Spanish so it never bothers me if someone is speaking Spanish. Plus it gives me the opportunity to practice. However, I think it is bad business practice to exclude customers by speaking something other than English when waiting on them unless the customer indicates a preference for another language.

Old 09-16-2009, 12:13 PM

5,119 posts, read 16,593,991 times
What I hate is when the cashier at the checkstand I'm in line at, and the two cashiers on either side of me, and all the customers being waited on are ALL speaking spanish. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone and wonder, "What the hell happened to my country?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products