U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:47 PM

28,400 posts, read 48,163,871 times

Advertisements

Below is an excerpt from the book "1,001 Things They Won't Tell You," which was published in May 2009 and highlights popular columns from SmartMoney's long-running "10 Things" feature.

10 Things Warehouse Clubs Won't Tell You - Yahoo! Shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:31 PM

8,265 posts, read 18,720,681 times
I had to laugh when you mentioned the one about animals in the store.

When my daughter misplaced our computer mouse, I went to Costco to get a new one and after I went to the computer section and asked where they would have them , was told by the young clerk, " We don't sell pets here, Ma'am".

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 09-21-2009, 08:47 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,495,154 times
That article's more of a club store bash-fest than anything else. Reminds me of the crap I see people posting in the Politics forum.

Old 09-21-2009, 08:59 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,640,644 times
"ordered six items from the Costco online pharmacy for a total of $78.10. When she was charged $26.50 for shipping-or 34 percent of the total purchase-she ended up canceling her order"

I don't know what that is all about. I ordered several things from Costco's website, and BJ's website over the summer and the shipping and handling was included in the price of the item (And the price of the items was substantially cheaper than anywhere else I could find it--delivered right to my door)

I also saw prices on diapers on the website that were actually CHEAPER than in the wholesale clubs, and I could NOT believe that.

All in all, not much in the article was news to me.

I just went to BJ's today, bought Milk for $2.19 per gallon, Land O Lakes American cheese for $3.49 a pound, and 4 pounds of butter for $6.59 (and that was just over $5 until recently). There was no other store I could have found those things that cheaply, unless I wanted to run to one store for the milk, another store for the cheese, and a third store where butter MIGHT be on sale.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:04 PM

22,028 posts, read 23,562,109 times
A lot of that is true for any store - not just the club stores....have you looked at the interest rates on the store credit cards? Do you really think there aren't any unwanted "guests" in your local grocery? Accidents can happen pretty much everywhere too....as can standing in line....

Old 09-22-2009, 01:57 AM

1,966 posts, read 3,889,121 times
I agree that this was more of a bash against the clubs. I worked at Price Club for 4 years prior to them being bought out by Costco. Perhaps policies have changed but back then, we did cross-check receipts to make sure that things were rung up correctly as cashiers would forget to check under the carts for the heavy items (sodas). Scanners weren't introduced until 92 so everything was a 4 to 6 digit item and often cashiers would transpose the numbers. I worked the exit so it wasn't that unusual to find a customer charged for a VCR when they bought coffee.

During my tenure there, I went from member service to front-end, membership, hardlines, produce, tire center manager, then ended my run on the floor. We never had anyone injured from falling merchandise, the most excitement we saw were the shoplifters, one guy emptied a diaper box and loaded several VCR's, stereos, and other electronics and I tailed him until he got to the registers where he confronted me. I played it cool and a cop working security questioned him while the managers looked in the box and found the loot, so he spent the night in the lockup.

Birds will fly into the clubs, eventually they either fly out or get caught and released. If you walk into any big box store that has food, you will find the metal traps for mice so again it's not just the clubs that have these problems. Again, maybe things have changed but as long as a member had a receipt and merchandise was bought at one of our clubs, we took care of it no questions asked, if they didn't have the receipt they got a credit slip. There was no such thing as the "grey market", members understood that merchandise wasn't exactly the top grade but it didn't matter. What isn't mentioned and is a key point is that warehouse clubs were set up primarily to cater to businesses, not the everyday consumer. The average member would spend over $200 whereas at a Wal-Mart it would be 1/4 that amount.

If one goes into a Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, or even a furniture store like Marlo (can't use Levitz since they're out of business), you will find the same things are happening there as well.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:59 AM

24,337 posts, read 33,581,509 times
I have been to Sam's but never to Costco; I do not think the prices were all that low and when I did the math to see if I could save money by getting a Sam's membership, taking into account the annual cost of the membership and the gas to drive to the nearest Sam's, it was a wash. So I continue to shop at Kroger and stock up on basics when I have a good coupon and/or when those items are on sale.

One thing I did not like about Sam's was they hold you by the door while they read your receipt like you are some kind of criminal. I know they do that to everyone but I really hate it. At places like Wal-Mart and Best Buy I usually walk right past anybody asking to see my receipt because I resent being treated like a criminal.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:21 AM

8,260 posts, read 15,228,803 times
I also do not stop and show my receipt to anyone at the door, whether it's Kmart or Home Depot. I paid for it, it's in a store bag, you just saw me at the register, either detain me legally or leave me be. The thing that grates me is they just take the receipt, put a mark on it, and you walk out. But now I've not only had to wait in line for the register, but now have to wait in an even longer line to get out the door!

I have been given the opportunity for a free trial membership at Costco and turned it down. I get far better end result prices from shopping the sales at the local markets than I could possibly get with Costco' undoubled coupon policy - and where's the catalinas? Sorry, no sale.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:39 AM

22,028 posts, read 23,562,109 times
Wow - I never cared whether they checked my reciept. I have had the reciept checkers actually ask me whether I do have 2 of a certain item because I paid for 2 - they are also making sure you are not overcharged. Another nice thing about it is that if I stop to use the restroom on the way out or grab something to eat, I feel I can leave my cart (with it's contents paid for) for a second since no one is able to leave the store without the proper receipt. I don't mind them checking because I know I'm not a criminal and I'd prefer to not pay for those who are with increased prices.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:38 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,694,971 times
I don't like the fact that (at Sam's) you have to show your card to even get into store. Ok yeah, I understand that you need a card to buy merchandise there but to show your card before even entering the store is really irritating to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products