U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 05:56 PM

31,074 posts, read 34,128,567 times

Advertisements

It's a worry for some. My mom uses checks only because it's all she feels comfortable with. She likes getting the cancelled checks back and uses them to balance her accounts. Several years ago her bank stopped sending the actual checks and only send a photocopy. That was fine until last month when they said they want everyone using the online banking system to save postage and are going to charge $4 a month to get copies of the cancelled checks. This really annoys her (and me) because she lives in a retirement community and most of the seniors don't even own a computer. While I understand why businesses would prefer doing things a certain way, it's too bad that they don't recognize that everyone ISN'T equal when it comes to technology. It seems to me that the majority of banking customers WILL go online, and the paper customers will continue to decrease year after year, so they can certainly afford to keep sending the copies out free of charge to people like my mom without nickel and diming them to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 07:45 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,778,650 times
It is funny because I used my Credit/debit card once at a supermarket (Hannaford's) and once at TJX (HomeGoods)..both times I have been a victim of a security breach where someone hacked into their system..he was recently arrested in Miami but the damage was done....someone helped themselves to $2600.00 out of my checking account and the card was never out of my sight.
I use a check in the supermarket...it is already signed, the store puts it through their machine and they also get their money immediately...just like a Credit/Debit card. It takes no extra time.

Tell me what is it 10 extra seconds off of your life? Takes the same amount of time to take out the cash and count it!

Where did we lose so much tolerance for other people. Sad very sad.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:23 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,469,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
Who cares? Bring cash or a card next time.
Quote:
You're not the only person on this planet.
No, I'm not, but you sure to seem to think you are.. I'll bring what I want, be cash, card or check... It's none of your business....

Old 10-01-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
It is funny because I used my Credit/debit card once at a supermarket (Hannaford's) and once at TJX (HomeGoods)..both times I have been a victim of a security breach where someone hacked into their system..he was recently arrested in Miami but the damage was done....someone helped themselves to $2600.00 out of my checking account and the card was never out of my sight.
I use a check in the supermarket...it is already signed, the store puts it through their machine and they also get their money immediately...just like a Credit/Debit card. It takes no extra time.

Tell me what is it 10 extra seconds off of your life? Takes the same amount of time to take out the cash and count it!

Where did we lose so much tolerance for other people. Sad very sad.
Read Culture of Critique Moderator cut: language removed

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-05-2010 at 08:06 PM..

Old 10-01-2009, 08:36 PM

20,799 posts, read 8,778,650 times
Houston.........I have read this persons many posts...........very scary person....this was a milder post than most.

Old 10-01-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
Houston.........I have read this persons many posts...........very scary person....this was a milder post than most.
I need a good verbal fight...LOL...I just hope I don't get into to much trouble with the Mods...LOL

I'll check some of his other post....

Old 10-06-2009, 06:08 AM

2,777 posts, read 7,193,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I'm a Debit Card user, so I have no idea why people still want to goof around with writing checks at the check out counter anyway. But, I do think it is a bad move since many people are really more comfortable writing checks....especially older people. They just have more confidence in a paper trail.
When my money is tight, as often happens since my husband is a sub-contractor and frequently has to wait for pay, writing a check enables me a 3-5 day lag for my outgoing money. I always account for every transaction;debit, check, cash, but it affords me a little wiggle room for other pay-outs. Also I frequently see people mislaying or discarding their debit receipts. Know wonder there is so much financial shortfall out there! They need to keep the checks.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 PM

6,022 posts, read 13,687,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
When my money is tight, as often happens since my husband is a sub-contractor and frequently has to wait for pay, writing a check enables me a 3-5 day lag for my outgoing money. I always account for every transaction;debit, check, cash, but it affords me a little wiggle room for other pay-outs. Also I frequently see people mislaying or discarding their debit receipts. Know wonder there is so much financial shortfall out there! They need to keep the checks.
hate to break it to you, but you're the sort of people that supermarkets hate. why do you need that 3-5 day lag? is it b/c the check would bounce w/o it? people who abuse that lag are a major issue. if you don't have the cash up front, don't spend it, regardless if you're paying w/ a check and hoping for a lag, or w/ a credit card. people who need a little "wiggle room" and rely on the lag tend to be the people who bounce checks at stores due to insufficient funds. no offense to you, lord knows I did the same thing.

Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 PM

8,234 posts, read 11,748,752 times
Quote:
Who cares? Bring cash or a card next time. You're not the only person on this planet.

nor are YOU?
Between myself and the homeless person in front of me you have quite a wait.

I always take my sweet ole time....

Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,395,328 times
Gosh, I HATE checks. Really. There is NO FLOAT people!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products