U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 10:42 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,557,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Move to another line!!!! A check is STILL A LEGAL banking instrument....
I don't mind if someone uses a check. What I do mind is them standing there with their thumb up their butt while the cashier scans fifty items, and only after the cashier gives them the total do they go digging around in their gigantor purse for their checkbook, and then they don't have a pen, and then they slloooooooowwwwly fill out the check and ask the cashier again for the total and then they fill in the register and only THEN do they take the check out of the checkbook and hand it to the cashier.

Check users, just be polite about it. Have it filled out while you're waiting. It's only common sense and manners after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 09:48 PM

171 posts, read 723,413 times
Ironically my Dr.'s office has a sign that they will now ONLY take checks and no longer debit/credit cards. I hadn't seen the sign and didn't have my checkbook with me. They acted very huffy about processing my debit card.
I'm surprised grocery stores wouldn't want MORE people to write checks. Isn't it cheaper for them to take a check and not pay the 3% processing fees the credit card companies charge?

Old 08-01-2010, 04:55 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,677,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
You people with your damn checks need to bring cash or a charge card and stop holding up the damn line.
Tough !

As I told a person ahead of me who turned and aplogized for holding the line up writing a check----------" no problem. Your money is as good as mine "

Amazing that an extra 30 seconds will ruin soneone's day.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:57 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,677,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visit a Library View Post
Who cares? Bring cash or a card next time. You're not the only person on this planet.
When you own the store, you can make the rules.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:02 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,772,365 times
Yes, people who wait while you scan a buggy full of groceries and only then start looking for a pen and take five minutes to fill it out always annoyed the heck out of me when I worked in a grocery store.

Asking people for ID was always an adventure. Maybe you shop here all the time, but I can't remember everyone. Plus, I can get in trouble if I don't have your ID info written on the check, especiaqlly if it bounces or is stolen. So don't scream at me for doing my job.

Speaking of check cashing, I hated the first of the month. I hated having to cash a bunch of old bats' govenment checks. I thought social security was supposed to be direct deposit.

I also hated a long line of people cashing payroll checks. We aren't a bank people. We would cash checks for a $3 fee. But we'd give you a ticket worth $3 on a $20 grocery purchase. So basically, it was free if you were a customer. A very small percentage of those were ever redeemed. I always liked it when someone would get mad about the fee and throw it down in disgust. Free money for me.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:51 PM

2,192 posts, read 6,300,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Move to another line!!!! A check is STILL A LEGAL banking instrument....

Yes it is but a business still doesn't have to take them. One of my restaurants was a po-boy place and I took checks because we delivered to a lot of business in the area.

I quit taking them because I got tired of having to chase down several people every month who didn't have enough money in their account. And you wouldn't believe that some people would write checks on accounts that were closed for years. Those I would turn over to the police but I never saw any of that money.

busta

Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM

6,412 posts, read 8,000,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
Speaking of check cashing, I hated the first of the month. I hated having to cash a bunch of old bats' govenment checks. I thought social security was supposed to be direct deposit.
I'm an "old bat" and I never cashed my Social Security checks in any store. I have DD, but not everyone has a bank account.

This "old bat" is techno-savvy and I have a debit card, which I use almost exclusively. "Old bats" are perilously in danger of being robbed by purse snatchers who roam the supermarket parking lots. Not carrying a purse has kept me safe from these weasels.

Why did it matter what task you had to do on the first of the month? (BTW, SS checks are issued on the 3rd, not the first). Be glad you weren't being told to get out in the parking lot and hump the buggies back into the store.

Last, and far from the least, I hope you live long enough to qualify as an "old bat". You'll be amazed at how your perspective will change.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:25 AM

6,412 posts, read 8,000,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's a worry for some. My mom uses checks only because it's all she feels comfortable with. She likes getting the cancelled checks back and uses them to balance her accounts. Several years ago her bank stopped sending the actual checks and only send a photocopy. That was fine until last month when they said they want everyone using the online banking system to save postage and are going to charge $4 a month to get copies of the cancelled checks. This really annoys her (and me) because she lives in a retirement community and most of the seniors don't even own a computer. While I understand why businesses would prefer doing things a certain way, it's too bad that they don't recognize that everyone ISN'T equal when it comes to technology. It seems to me that the majority of banking customers WILL go online, and the paper customers will continue to decrease year after year, so they can certainly afford to keep sending the copies out free of charge to people like my mom without nickel and diming them to death.
Be good to your Mom and take her to the bank, get her a debit card and go shopping with her to show her how to use it. She won't have to wait for her cancelled check to get her "paper trail". The store receipt will have the transaction information printed right on it. She can go home, pull out her checkbook, call the 800 # of the bank and confirm the details of the transaction, which she can then subtract from her bank balance. She files the little paper receipt in a box in case something needs to be returned.

Bet she becomes the queen of the retirement community when she shows all of her peers how easy it is to learn a new trick.

BTW, I'm a Savvy Senior and try to learn something new every day. Keeps the brain cells active.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:01 PM

106 posts, read 112,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Be good to your Mom and take her to the bank, get her a debit card and go shopping with her to show her how to use it. She won't have to wait for her cancelled check to get her "paper trail". The store receipt will have the transaction information printed right on it. She can go home, pull out her checkbook, call the 800 # of the bank and confirm the details of the transaction, which she can then subtract from her bank balance. She files the little paper receipt in a box in case something needs to be returned.

Bet she becomes the queen of the retirement community when she shows all of her peers how easy it is to learn a new trick.

BTW, I'm a Savvy Senior and try to learn something new every day. Keeps the brain cells active.
Right on sister!

Old 12-16-2014, 12:52 PM

23,464 posts, read 30,063,240 times
I was just in my local auto parts store. They no longer accept checks. They had had someone buy $800 worth of stuff, pay with a check, and immediately go to the other store in the next town over and return the stuff for a refund.

Their check was bad and they got away with $800 in cash and the store owner said "No more". They stopped taking checks. $800 is a big loss for a local business with only two locations.

It's been 20 years since any gas station would accept checks. Same issue. Too many bad checks used to pay for a tank of gas, which is no longer a small amount of money.

I know of three places locally that run the check right on the spot and put a hold on the check amount right while you are standing there. I don't shop at a lot of different places, so there are probably many more places that do the same thing.

One of the places where I get groceries will only take business account checks; no private party checks.

It's just too easy to pretend that there is money when all you have to do is write on a little piece of paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products