U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 12,157,897 times

Advertisements

There are some really great artisans that you could search out and buy direct from. They would even size or design pieces for you. But there are also hacks, so check the work before you buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 10:42 PM

9,362 posts, read 23,006,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaimounaKande View Post
Take a look at Thomas Moser (he has a website). Quite expensive, but beautifully hand crafted furniture which will last generations. I LOVE his work. We have several of his pieces.
My aunt has several pieces of his furniture- it is gorgeous. We found one of their stores when in Boston last year and it was more like a gallery than a furniture store.

Thos. Moser : Featured Pieces

Old 11-21-2007, 06:00 AM

13,383 posts, read 41,227,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
I hesitated to join this thread since most of what was being talked about was mass produced, even the good stuff.
Doesn't Thomas Moser use *some* machine tooling?
My understanding is that it is a small factory, with hand-finished pieces, but it's still a factory.
I agree that Moser furniture is elegant, and worth the price.
And now you can go up to their Maine location and, just like the Build A Bear Workshop, you can do it yourself. (http://blogs.usatoday.com/smallbiz/ - broken link)Thos. Moser, which produces pricey cherry-wood tables, rocking chairs and other goods, has launched a Customer in Residence program, where five long-time customers will spend a week in Maine building furniture and meeting with founder Tom Moser and his family. Five other Moser customers will participate in a second session next month, the company says. Cost: It varies depending on the furniture each participant chooses to build.
Quote:
Who is to say that garish granite countertops and deeply carved dark cherry cabinets won't be tomorrow's albatross?
Well, I don't think quality granite is garish, and it has been a building material for centuries. But I agree that certain trends get old after awhile. The Santa Fe look is fine--in Santa Fe. And the Mission/Arts and Crafts style was dear to us when we lived in our bungalow, but now it is ubiquitous, with the quality not living up to the original premise of the design movement.
And formica is having a resurgence in popularity!
Quote:
Let the most conservative member of the household have the biggest vote. Especially if they claim to be familiar with what their personal color balance is.
Agreed.
Quote:
And don't worry in any case. 95% of today's furniture will have no second life. It's all from China and big box stores and not destined to last. It will only make a brief stop in the buyers house before being sent on to the dump.

But what fun it is to find a unique heirloom piece and have the family squabbling over who will inherit it. That's the way to buy furniture, slowly, one carefully considered piece at a time.
I guess I find myself somewhere between those two schools of thought.
I agree with Tesaje that there are hacks out there who feed off those romantic souls who fall in love with cleverly marketed "authenticity."
It's just another version of retailing a lifestyle.
I like Southernlady's Freecycle suggestion, also JasonEls' post about antiques.
And that's pretty much how I decorate--eclectically.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:23 AM

786 posts, read 905,078 times
Might want to check out Lexington Home Brands (http://www.lexington.com/browsefurniture.cfm - broken link)as well... we bought a bedroom set of theirs while they were still called Lexington Furniture. All their stuff is hardwood and hand-made in NC. We bought ours from Boyle's in Hickory, NC and had it trucked up to us.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:23 PM

8,267 posts, read 18,723,616 times
Here's a tip if you are planning to buy a lot of new furniture and maybe a lot of window coverings, etc. Become a member of Direct Buy.

Direct Buy is a fraudulent business & really no one should be steered there.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 PM

746 posts, read 3,206,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Doesn't Thomas Moser use *some* machine tooling?
My understanding is that it is a small factory, with hand-finished pieces, but it's still a factory.
I agree that Moser furniture is elegant, and worth the price.
And now you can go up to their Maine location and, just like the Build A Bear Workshop, you can do it yourself. (http://blogs.usatoday.com/smallbiz/ - broken link)Thos. Moser, which produces pricey cherry-wood tables, rocking chairs and other goods, has launched a Customer in Residence program, where five long-time customers will spend a week in Maine building furniture and meeting with founder Tom Moser and his family. Five other Moser customers will participate in a second session next month, the company says. Cost: It varies depending on the furniture each participant chooses to build.

Well, I don't think quality granite is garish, and it has been a building material for centuries. But I agree that certain trends get old after awhile. The Santa Fe look is fine--in Santa Fe. And the Mission/Arts and Crafts style was dear to us when we lived in our bungalow, but now it is ubiquitous, with the quality not living up to the original premise of the design movement.
And formica is having a resurgence in popularity!

Agreed.

I guess I find myself somewhere between those two schools of thought.
I agree with Tesaje that there are hacks out there who feed off those romantic souls who fall in love with cleverly marketed "authenticity."
It's just another version of retailing a lifestyle.
I like Southernlady's Freecycle suggestion, also JasonEls' post about antiques.
And that's pretty much how I decorate--eclectically.
An excellent post, Cil, we would have fun shopping together. I will clarify a couple of poiints, hopefully without becoming defensive.

What I meant by "mass produced" furniture is that which is almost on an assembly line, one rocking chair after another, not that power tools and modern construction methods might be used. Attention to detail is important, as in integrity. Moser has more hand finishing than most other makers.

And I also believe that granite can be of good quality. But one of the trends I have noticed - at least on the HGTV type shows - is how people just love to pick garish, over the top granite designs thta have highly unique blotches and swashes of contrasting colors. Sort of like the OTT oak grains that were once a mark of status in the past. I just don't think they will age well over time.

I would do granite in a more subdued and subtle way. And while I love the Stickney look, I wouldn't have it in my house unless I lived in a real period bungalow.

Your comments show you really care about furniture, and I benefitted from them.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:05 PM

893 posts, read 480,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferLynn View Post
In the past I have always bought inexpensive furniture, but I would like to purchase some more upscale furniture. I would like to look at some furniture on the internet, but don't know where to go. I am aware of Thomasville, but that's about it.

It really doesn't have to be expensive, but what I'm really interested in is unique furniture. Maybe European-style designs or period reproductions. Any suggestions of company names or websites?
You need to call Bowen Town and Country Furniture in Winston Salem NC Ask for Steve. They carry Nichols and Stone Kincaid CR Laine and several others and will ship. You can get on their website Bowen Furniture.com it has links to all the manufacturers

Old 01-19-2008, 03:50 PM

915 posts, read 4,012,002 times
This is probably way beyond what you're looking for, but I'm going to give this site a shout out anyway.

I find this to be a very interesting site for home furnishings. Along with some well known furniture manfuacturers, you'll also find stores that can only be accessed by interior designers. The stores do not sell to the public, but you can get a taste of their offerings when they post their websites. There are also offerings from craftsman and furniture designers themselves - unbelievable prices of $18,000 sofas, $5,000 vases, etc.

I like the site because I learn about the different styles of furniture that exist. It's definitely a site for dreaming unless you have the bucks.

HomePortfolio - Home design & home design products

Good luck with your search!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:26 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,127,415 times
I have a friend that has been a custom maker of furniture for like thirty years. Frankly he says most large store are pretty junky compared to 50 years ago.There are still good pieces made by some of the old NC makers but are expensive. I also have heard of this direct buy and there are threads about it. Never saw any post but this that was postive about them. You can do as well or better by buying direct from stores in NC listed in many magazines and save the 4300 and the yearly fees.One of the warning signs is when a company offers something like this but says that if you don't join now and pay then you can't come back later. Why would they not want you to think about it or compare to other prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products