U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 03:10 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,359,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
supermarketnews.com
Thanks Pcity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 05:12 PM

1,116 posts, read 2,637,363 times
I shop at a higher end Harris Teeter for much of my packaged/branded groceries, and I've noticed the selection actually going up. There's more demand for specialty items, and smaller producers. I think the salsa section alone has at least 50 varieties now. Then again, I buy only a few things in jars, cans, or other packages, so I don't feel the whole effect.

But I have noticed at the "lower end" stores like WalMart and Food Lion a definite push for price over quality/selection. It seems they really just keep the cheaper things around because thats what people will buy. The lack of selection is why I stopped shopping at most other grocery stores. I definitely think it's gotten worse recently.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:03 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,900 times
I hate to hike through 10 miles of isles looking through a million articles to find what I need.

My ideal grocery store would have one or two racks and only stock what I buy.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:27 AM

615 posts, read 1,524,274 times
I don't quite get this thread. Walmart has NEVER been the best store regarding selection and choice. They have a few of the major brands and then some cheap brands and very few specialty items. If I want a better selection then I go to Harris Teeter or Lowes Foods but then I pay mroe money for that convenience. That's what walmart is all about.

It isn't so much the packaging itself that is more expensive but it sure does cost more to develop the prettier packageing and even more when you start adding in marketing costs and trademarking logos costs more money too.

I personally don't mind plain packaging if it means a better price for a similiar quality product. Many of the generic food items are produced on the exact same machinery as the name brand items and often by the very same company.

Old 10-03-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DressageGirl View Post
I don't quite get this thread. Walmart has NEVER been the best store regarding selection and choice. They have a few of the major brands and then some cheap brands and very few specialty items. If I want a better selection then I go to Harris Teeter or Lowes Foods but then I pay mroe money for that convenience. That's what walmart is all about.
Guess I have been spoiled. The 3 local Walmarts around here, though obviously known for the "always" low prices, had a decent selection on various staple items. Not so now.

Old 10-04-2009, 06:43 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,116,437 times
My two super wal-mart have a good selection. No problems here and I likde the new look of the stores now.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:00 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,247,843 times
The Walmart where I live just finished their remodel and while I did notice they had cut stuff in the general merchandise part, they didn't cut anything that was of any importance to me in the grocery dept. I like the wider aisles, the new colors and the baskets.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:27 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,125,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
This really hit home with me yesterday. Went into Wmart, needed tartar sauce among some other things. Walked the condiment aisle twice looking fror the tartar sauce collection. Guess what? There was no tartar sauce collection. There was 1, count it 1 choice for tartar sauce. WTheck? Come to think of it, I've noticed this disturbing trend at other local grocers too. I'm in Georgia.
DH and I usually bought light orange marmalade. Walmart didn't bring it anymore. Then, other flavours disappeared, and other brands.

Same with several products. (TX)

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
This all in addition to sizes of packaging shrinking.
yeap

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Most grocery stores are purging items that do not meet their sales volume standards. This is becoming such a big deal that the idea of one-stop shopping is no longer possible.
True. I usually go to 2 or 3 places to find all I need/want now.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWgal View Post
DH and I usually bought light orange marmalade. Walmart didn't bring it anymore. Then, other flavours disappeared, and other brands.
Yes, only 4 flavors of the Polaner All Fruit Jelly now, and unfortunately, not the flavor that I get. The other stores sell it, but it's atleast a dollar more expensive.

I "always" justified Walmart because of the prices on things I buy regularly. Now that they don't have my things, I am reconsidering shopping there. Yeah, it's cheap, but the inconvenience is annoying.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:35 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 7,145,247 times
I was in WallyW looking for frozen chopped spinach. They used to have 2 boxed brands; theirs and birds eye. They had a larger bag size by picsweet. But I noticed the whole isle had been reset and nothing was where it used to be. They alway seemed to be out of stock, but the frozen foods dept. always looks like they need to spend a good week stocking it anyway. After this reset everything looked pretty full.
Anyway, I finally saw someone in the dairy dept. and asked for help. He said he had helped with the reset and yes they got rid of alot of things. I was floored! NO spinach of any kind. How can this be?
Well, if the shelf is alway empty, no sales would show, so of course it is a false inventory #, but rather than investigate the lack of #s, they just got rid of it. (Howcould it be no one in this store eats frozen spinach? DUH?)
As I never see anyone working in the dept. any hour of the day or night, I'm sure alot of the low # sales items people complain about being out of stock constantly are now gone. So it's not a market of demand, as it should be. It's management closing their eyes and coasting by their job everyday.
How could they expect better of their help, or even know what's going on?
Good stores who serve their cutomers have good management. And the old rule of leading by example will always work in the long run, and will never go out of date in retail.
But it's just as much up to the customer to demand it, rather than run to another store or chain.
If in store management doesn't fix the problem, email the corp., but be specific.
This is why I like Publix. If there's a problem, store management does all they can for you. Usually when a produt disappears, it's out of the local stores control. And often times they either substitute it for something high priced at the same price, or even give it to you. That kind of customer service keeps me going back, and gets an email heads up to corp. as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products