Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:40 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,802,998 times

Advertisements

I now have to go to 3 different stores. I don't mind changing brands sometimes, but not always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 12:18 PM

16,064 posts, read 21,110,681 times
For consumers, less choice means better selection - Business Courier of Cincinnati:
It's not just grocery stores. The company I work for is significantly reducing sku's and revamping the store layout to make the shopping experience more "consumer friendly".
I think the change is more to the stores benefit than to the consumer, but I don't necessarily think it's all bad. There needs to be a happy medium between having six kinds of BBQ sauce and having sixty kinds to choose from.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:32 PM

24,435 posts, read 25,963,743 times
Sometime we have too many choices.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:27 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,369,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
There needs to be a happy medium between having six kinds of BBQ sauce and having sixty kinds to choose from.
Definitely!! Whatever is trendy, i.e., the multiple BBQ sauces, a zillion types of salsa, etc. Somebody's clearly buying these accessory type things. Granted, if offered a sample of something good and unusual, I may bite and buy one.

The staples are neglected, with the exception of bread, but that's another topic. Whose bright idea was this??

There is a special on wmart tonight - CNBC, I think.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:32 PM

534 posts, read 1,594,151 times
I have found more then just food selection smaller at our Super Walmarts. I went for cough drops and cough medicine last week. Not only did they only have about 4 cough drops types to choose from, but the cough medicine also only had about 4 selections. Of course they know longer had the drops or medicine that worked great for me. I had to get both at Walgreens. There are many things Walmart doesn't have anymore that we use.

We have Super Targets here and they are so nice. They too have very limited selection. I have never done any major grocery shopping there, because Walmart pretty much had everything. It was one store shopping for me. Target has never had much that we buy, so like I said, I don't bother there for food much. We have 2 other grocery stores here, both pretty expensive. One more then the other. I can't afford to shop at that one. I don't know how anyone here can because most people in this city are quite poor. Walmart is only about 5 mins from us so it's not like I am wasting money on gas. I only shop at the other 2 when things are on sale for cheaper then at Walmart, which isn't often.

Old 10-07-2009, 10:37 AM

41,924 posts, read 75,118,489 times
I've noticed this too -- for instance, with tea. While there are scads of different brands of tea on the shelves, the store I frequent the most will carry only four or five varieties of one brand.

So yes, I'm going to one store to get Variety A of Brand A, and to another store to get Variety B of Brand B, etc.

I guess it could be worse, though ...

Old 10-08-2009, 05:02 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,062,133 times
I've noticed each store in my shopping area stocks various 'choices." Store A is great for tea and coffee but only has a very small selection of Mexican products. Store B will stock a lot of salsa and so on but not have good meat...and so on...

I like Superwalmart for one reason...they don't have as much selection so I can get in and out quicker than at a 'bigger market.'

Old 12-23-2014, 08:34 PM

106 posts, read 140,832 times
What gd supermarket doesn't carry dry mustard. Flipping seriously?? Spoke to the store manager his response.. why can't you just use mustard from a jar. A$$wipe.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:21 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,042,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My two super wal-mart have a good selection. No problems here and I likde the new look of the stores now.
Same here!

This thread will just end up being another opportunity for people to jump on the bandwagon to bash WM.

Old 12-24-2014, 04:28 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,945,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Depends on where one shops. I've never considered w-mart to be a "real" grocery store compared to those that sell nothing but... groceries.
Exactly. I go to HEB for groceries. Gf has convinced me to shop at Walmart again. I go there to buy a few items every couple of weeks or so, and do save money on these non grocery things: things like shipping boxes, shampoo, hair color, etc. . . But I don't like the self checkout, so if the lines at the registers are long, I sneak off to the checkout at the garden department
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products