U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 02:31 PM

19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times

Advertisements

Holy 5 year old resurrected thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 03:08 PM

5,037 posts, read 8,025,985 times
It also depends on the region where you live as far as what a grocery store will carry.

I am in the South and the Harris Teeter deli near me does not carry Pastrami. That's right, no Pastrami at the Deli.

I asked why and the girl said they used to but stopped carrying it because it just doesn't sell well around here. I am in a rural area. I'm sure the Harris Teeters in the nearby city must carry Pastrami because they would not get the New York transplants to shop there unless they did.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:48 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,508,341 times
Just saw this thread (don't know where I have been!) but I was just talking about this the other day. I get cat food at the Walmart Supercenter because the other groceries do not have the selection, Duke's mayo at another Walmart because the other ones do not carry it (I thought all Walmart's would carry the same products), Community Coffee at Food Lion, Italian roast beef, donuts, really fresh fish, and 00 flour for pasta at ShopRite, soups at Safeway, Mexican Coke at BJ's. It would really be nice to be able to get all groceries at one store.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:36 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,964,501 times
^^^Me too. Husband and I were just talking about this. I have mentioned (on a handful of threads) that we moved
a while ago. One of the reasons (there are several) is the quality and lack of selection of things in the grocery stores.
As you said, no way can we get any type of fish that isn't old, the produce is awful (example, red cabbage that
has NO flavor at all) & no decent bread (miss the crusty French and Italian breads and rolls). There is a good butcher
shop but we don't eat that much meat. I should have been more appreciative of the place we moved from.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:17 PM

6,502 posts, read 6,251,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
This really hit home with me yesterday. Went into Wmart, needed tartar sauce among some other things. Walked the condiment aisle twice looking fror the tartar sauce collection. Guess what? There was no tartar sauce collection. There was 1, count it 1 choice for tartar sauce. WTheck? Come to think of it, I've noticed this disturbing trend at other local grocers too. I'm in Georgia.
This has actually been going on for several years now. WalMart is one of the more notorious for this, but that is one of the ways they offer low prices, by carrying less.

Old 12-28-2014, 03:11 PM

19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Still looks like stores are carrying alot of items.

Average number items carried in a supermarket in 2013
Source: Food Marketing Institute 43,844 - See more at: FMI | Food Marketing Institute | Supermarket Facts

Old 12-28-2014, 10:03 PM

23 posts, read 28,622 times
Lots of choices around here in Raleigh/Durham, NC so far as chain store selection, but I miss the "family owned" grocery stores. I could care less about the yuppie stores such as Trader Joe's, Publix, or Whole Foods and the like. I mean the ones where you could get any cut of meat from anywhere on the animal. You know, an ACTUAL butcher. Not some wanna-be dividing frozen 20 lb pound tubes of frozen hamburger into one pound packages or cutting up a frozen 50lb beef shoulder into steaks. That is NOT a butcher. FRESH fish would be nice as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products