U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2009, 07:34 PM
 
1,804 posts, read 6,360,463 times
Reputation: 1200

Advertisements

This really hit home with me yesterday. Went into Wmart, needed tartar sauce among some other things. Walked the condiment aisle twice looking fror the tartar sauce collection. Guess what? There was no tartar sauce collection. There was 1, count it 1 choice for tartar sauce. WTheck? Come to think of it, I've noticed this disturbing trend at other local grocers too. I'm in Georgia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2009, 07:35 PM
 
519 posts, read 927,275 times
Reputation: 705
Yes I've noticed to - they have consumer news reports here about this very thing.

The big chains are cutting out the competition to make more money and to control the market.

But I'm in Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 PM
 
1,804 posts, read 6,360,463 times
Reputation: 1200
That's interesting. I've noticed a big push on the store brands here. Walmart has even changed their store brand packaging to all white with a bit of color. Ugly, unappealing. But...sigh, I still go there.

I'm in one of the markets where wmart has upgraded. I think its something like, "45 days til your new Walmart". Sigh...again. Well, the carts ARE nice atleast - almost perfectly silent, and the new layout is loads better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:47 PM
 
8,778 posts, read 16,988,876 times
Reputation: 5248
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
This really hit home with me yesterday. Went into Wmart, needed tartar sauce among some other things. Walked the condiment aisle twice looking fror the tartar sauce collection. Guess what? There was no tartar sauce collection. There was 1, count it 1 choice for tartar sauce. WTheck? Come to think of it, I've noticed this disturbing trend at other local grocers too. I'm in Georgia.
Maybe more people are just doing it themselves now? A bit of mayo, a bit of sweet relish and there you have it, pretty much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 08:51 PM
B4U
 
Location: the west side of "paradise"
3,612 posts, read 7,145,835 times
Reputation: 4426
It's happened in my Wmart too. And the new packaging of their label sucks!
The one good thing is all those display/impulse buys that used to block the middle of those wide isles have disappeared. Now you can actually see who's bumping into you, or just stops dead and you run into them! LOL!
This all in addition to sizes of packaging shrinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 PM
 
13 posts, read 25,294 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
That's interesting. I've noticed a big push on the store brands here. Walmart has even changed their store brand packaging to all white with a bit of color. Ugly, unappealing. But...sigh, I still go there.

I'm in one of the markets where wmart has upgraded. I think its something like, "45 days til your new Walmart". Sigh...again. Well, the carts ARE nice atleast - almost perfectly silent, and the new layout is loads better.
With them changing the labels has it made the price go down?? In Australia our big chains have there "own brand" labelling, but it is significantly cheaper. Sometimes you just need to look past the label and think "Saving"......unless it tastes like crap.LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 PM
 
1,049 posts, read 2,570,887 times
Reputation: 1372
Quote:
Originally Posted by colony182 View Post
With them changing the labels has it made the price go down?? In Australia our big chains have there "own brand" labelling, but it is significantly cheaper. Sometimes you just need to look past the label and think "Saving"......unless it tastes like crap.LOL.
This. I'm more than happy spending $2 for a box of what are essentially double stuft Oreos in a white walmart brand bag, instead of $3 for real oreos.

Or, 2.50 for 24 oz box of Walmart Wheeties vs $4 for a 17oz box of real Wheaties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 10:38 PM
 
804 posts, read 1,753,690 times
Reputation: 458
Depends on where one shops. I've never considered w-mart to be a "real" grocery store compared to those that sell nothing but... groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2009, 11:20 PM
 
25,691 posts, read 24,530,337 times
Reputation: 44286
Yeah, what I notice is how every flipping thing these days is somehow packaged, boxed or wrapped in toxic plastic. Glass is gone anymore I guess. And I dont even shop at Walmart, this is everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2009, 10:50 AM
bjh
 
Location: Memphis - home of the king
32,788 posts, read 24,240,513 times
Reputation: 123574
In the US-SSR there will be NO tartar sauce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top