U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 12:45 AM

6,022 posts, read 13,686,734 times

Advertisements

okay, I will say that the OP sounds like an idiot, however, despite the idiocy, he/she makes a tiny, valid point. I hate it when bums stand outside a store and open doors for you yet at the same time stick their hand out expecting money for doing so. some of these guys will pratically block your path w/ their arms. also, i was in one fast food joint where a bum was harassing diners and going from table to table, rudely asking for money (and not taking a simply no for an answer). the staff there did nothing about it and I ended up complaining to the manager. haven't been back there since.

in these two particular cases, stores need to do more to keep bums from harassing customers. I'm mainly talking about bums here, the nasty, unkempt, alcoholics/mentally ill, not homeless people as a whole (since, as mentioned, a lot of people are homeless but you'd never know it. heck, I was homeless for a bit of time years ago and few people knew it!). and even then, if the bums don't bother me, I don't care if they're in the store buying stuff or even holding the door open but aren't being a-holes about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 12:59 AM

192 posts, read 548,846 times
Quote:
okay, I will say that the OP sounds like an idiot, however, despite the idiocy, he/she makes a tiny, valid point.
The OP was not originally talking about homeless people on the street trying to mooch money off of you or block your walking path so that you HAVE to run into them...because if that were the original topic of this thread, I probably wouldnt be so judgmental...BUT The OP was judging a PAYING CUSTOMER, and judging them on their class and looks. It would be another thing if this homeless person wasn't a paying customer and was bothering the OP who was in line, for some money....but that's not the case.
Even so, The OP's valid point on homeless people outfront of business mooching money does NOT excuse their absurd reasoning for this thread in the first place.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:27 AM

8,234 posts, read 11,748,304 times
What is so dis-heartening is that there are those that speak harsh or ugly of those who are less fortunate. No one sets out to fail in this country and surely no one chooses to be homeless.

The very ones you may be calling a bum could in fact be a Veteran, someone who's job was off-shored due to corporate greed but also could be someone's father, mother or brother.

Just because they have the appearance that they do doesn't make them any less a person and my advice to you is do not judge until you have walked a mile or ten in their shoes. It is a tough life mentally, physically & emotionally. Instead of turning a cheek and speaking harsh words, why not do something kind for them?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:08 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,039,162 times
How sad if you really are like this OP, I feel bad for you. Like my Mom allways said" no one is better than you and you are not better than anyone " Blessings Michelleleigh

Old 10-13-2009, 06:34 PM

11,336 posts, read 17,381,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Read Culture of Critique View Post
I really hate it when I'm in a store where there's one register open, and there's a homeless person in line ahead of me. What if I receive change, and some of it is from the money the homeless person used to pay. How exactly do I handle that? Do I need to take a can of disinfectant with me in order to sanitize some of the money I'm handed back? What happened to the days when homeless people weren't allowed to enter stores?
People like this sicken me, I hope a homeless person isn't behind you in line, I doubt they'd want your dirty change.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:11 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,797,593 times
Guys, on a flame post like this, yuo have to keep the whole thing On Topic or you end up getting into some really great burning brushland.

Talking about aggressive beggars is COMPLETELY different than a homeless man paying for food at a grocery. RCoC is rabble rousing, and the more you post, the more "Rabble Rabble" we all will hear (with or w/o the Hamburgler).

I think we are all in agreement that the OP was flame bait and that the original poster cannot be completely serious about what they are posting when they seem to be lacking any kind of serious response to the posts. No emotional reaction, nothing, just more kerosene being splashed around hoping someone will flick a butt its way.

So, lets just zip this and let RCoC blather on about some other Californian Brushland topic that we can all choose not to smoke in, around, or anywhere near.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:39 AM

921 posts, read 996,973 times
Quote:
I really hate it when I'm in a store where there's one register open, and there's a homeless person in line ahead of me. What if I receive change, and some of it is from the money the homeless person used to pay. How exactly do I handle that? Do I need to take a can of disinfectant with me in order to sanitize some of the money I'm handed back? What happened to the days when homeless people weren't allowed to enter stores?
All money is dirty so I guess everyone should keep a can of disinfectant in their purse or wallet.

Why discriminate against a homeless person since there are a lot of people with homes who are dirtier than they are.

I bet if you go through your own purse or wallet, you'll find more germs in there that can make you ill.

According to some of the latest public sanitary researches, an average person carries more germs in their briefcases / wallets than a child carries on their toys while playing on a playground.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:14 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,069,146 times
Quote:
All money is filthy, wash your hands after handling money and after touching public surfaces such as door handles and shopping cart handles as well as after shaking hands with any person. This subtle bashing of folks who for some reason don't have the luxury of a nice clean home to live in is just plain snobery. It's very possible that the OP's keyboard may have more bugs on it than the average homeless person's hands.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:20 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,165,397 times
Quote:
Wow you are one cold person. You could end up homeless one day.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:46 AM

42,663 posts, read 75,354,012 times
The OP is poking you with a stick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products