U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:19 PM

3,589 posts, read 3,242,528 times

Advertisements

I have a hard time finding anything made in the USA these days. I want a set of good quality stainless steel flatware and have not been able to find a single set made in the USA. Oneida moved their production to China in 2005.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 02:43 PM

53,324 posts, read 42,801,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshhh View Post
Domestic often does not mean quality, often imported goods are of a much higher quality, for example, cars.
This is not really current information anymore.

Ford in particular has improved their quality to the point where I'd put them up with any manufacturer.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Ford in particular has improved their quality to the point where I'd put them up with any manufacturer.
What does Ford make in America?

Old 10-25-2007, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
What does Ford make in America?
Around me, they make F150's.
But keep badmouthing their product and you may yet be able to help run another evil corporation completely out of the country.

Viva la revolucion! Would you like fries with that?

Old 10-25-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Around me, they make F150's.
But keep badmouthing their product and you may yet be able to help run another evil corporation completely out of the country.

Viva la revolucion! Would you like fries with that?
I just asked what they made in America because I couldn't think of anything that they did make here....I shopped for a new car recently and I looked at Fords. Every one that I looked at (sedans) was made either in Mexico or Canada.

My Hyundai Sonata, on the other hand, was assembled in Alabama.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I just asked what they made in America because I couldn't think of anything that they did make here....I shopped for a new car recently and I looked at Fords. Every one that I looked at (sedans) was made either in Mexico or Canada.

My Hyundai Sonata, on the other hand, was assembled in Alabama.
Sorry for being touchy on this but Ford etc. are moving even more plants out of the US as we speak. I wish I could condemn them for this but they are hemoraging money and it's either this or go bankrupt.

One problem they have is that Toyota etc. are viewed as being better quality which was once true but isn't anymore. The new Toyota tundra in particular is rated VERY poorly. I would hope that with seeing improved US quality that people would consider more US models in the future and help keep more of those plants here in the US.

P.S. I bought a Toyota Corolla years ago for much the same reason as you...plus the american cars in it's class were crud at that time and it was made here in the US. (So I'm sympathetic to all paticipants)

Old 10-25-2007, 10:07 PM

168 posts, read 1,089,182 times
Quote:

Come on, you cannot possibly be serious. Put a Ford up against a Toyota or a Honda at 200,000 miles. Oh wait, you might not be able to find a Ford like that.

Plus Honda has plants in the US and Ford uses foreign parts...it's 6 to one 1/2 dozen to the other on that front.

Old 10-26-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
Come on, you cannot possibly be serious. Put a Ford up against a Toyota or a Honda at 200,000 miles. Oh wait, you might not be able to find a Ford like that.

Plus Honda has plants in the US and Ford uses foreign parts...it's 6 to one 1/2 dozen to the other on that front.

Here you go.....I'm looking forward to hearing your response but doubt I'll ever hear from you again....

Toyota suffers setback in reliability rankings -- chicagotribune.com

P.S. I have more data that can back this up and then some....but it's proprietary and this gives the general flavor.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:32 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,521,739 times
...Are nearly scarce to find anymore. Practically everything we buy anymore, from clothing to household items, are made in China. Sad thing is, the poor quality of the things that come from there. But in many cases, we dont have other options.

Old 10-26-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Sorry for being touchy on this but Ford etc. are moving even more plants out of the US as we speak. I wish I could condemn them for this but they are hemoraging money and it's either this or go bankrupt.
Personally I don't have much sympathy for Ford; they make *****ty, overpriced sedans. I can get an "import" made in this country for less money than I can get a "domestic" Ford made in Canada or Mexico...and my car is better all-around mileage-wise, safety-wise, quality of build-wise, etc. Why would I buy "American" when I can get better quality for less, especially when the "import" was built in this country and the "American" car wasn't?

Quote:
One problem they have is that Toyota etc. are viewed as being better quality which was once true but isn't anymore. The new Toyota tundra in particular is rated VERY poorly. I would hope that with seeing improved US quality that people would consider more US models in the future and help keep more of those plants here in the US.
I didn't buy a Toyota because I thought they were overpriced for what they were. The people at the Toyota dealership refused to negotiate on price with me because they smugly thought that Toyotas sell themselves. Well, one didn't sell itself to me. I bought a Hyundai.

Quote:
P.S. I bought a Toyota Corolla years ago for much the same reason as you...plus the american cars in it's class were crud at that time and it was made here in the US. (So I'm sympathetic to all paticipants)
I can't think of a single US midsize sedan in the same price range that can hold a candle to the car I bought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products