U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 AM

53,324 posts, read 42,801,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Personally I don't have much sympathy for Ford; they make *****ty, overpriced sedans. I can get an "import" made in this country for less money than I can get a "domestic" Ford made in Canada or Mexico...and my car is better all-around mileage-wise, safety-wise, quality of build-wise, etc. Why would I buy "American" when I can get better quality for less, especially when the "import" was built in this country and the "American" car wasn't?

I didn't buy a Toyota because I thought they were overpriced for what they were. The people at the Toyota dealership refused to negotiate on price with me because they smugly thought that Toyotas sell themselves. Well, one didn't sell itself to me. I bought a Hyundai.

I can't think of a single US midsize sedan in the same price range that can hold a candle to the car I bought.
I hope I haven't been unclear.....people can buy whatever car they want....it IS a free country. Even going beyond that....I could care less what anyone else buys....but I'm pointing out WITH DATA that the quality issue is not bad anymore. Ignore it, take it under advisement, buy for whatever reason....I really don't care. My entire point in this thread was to refute that US cars are of bad quality and I've supported my post.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 10:08 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,242,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I hope I haven't been unclear.....people can buy whatever car they want....it IS a free country. Even going beyond that....I could care less what anyone else buys....but I'm pointing out WITH DATA that the quality issue is not bad anymore. Ignore it, take it under advisement, buy for whatever reason....I really don't care. My entire point in this thread was to refute that US cars are of bad quality and I've supported my post.

Good luck.
Having just test-driven a raft of new cars, I respectfully disagree. The build quality on the Fords was not that great, and they felt cheap and plastic-y compared to the car I ended up buying. Plus, the car I bought has a better crash-test rating...and I drove it off the lot for 3-4,000 less than any Ford dealership's best deal.

Until they can match that, they don't get my business.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,614,758 times
Harley Davidson
SK Tools
Velodyne Speakers
Carver Pro Amplifiers
Donzie Boats
Cannondale Bikes and athletic products
Steelmaster Buildings

Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Having just test-driven a raft of new cars, I respectfully disagree. The build quality on the Fords was not that great, and they felt cheap and plastic-y compared to the car I ended up buying. Plus, the car I bought has a better crash-test rating...and I drove it off the lot for 3-4,000 less than any Ford dealership's best deal.

Until they can match that, they don't get my business.
Go back to my last quote and tell me specifically what I wrote that you disagree with?

I completely disagree with you that Hyundai's are the best cars ever built, get 93 Miles per gallon and can seat 17.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 AM

3,589 posts, read 3,242,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I completely disagree with you that Hyundai's are the best cars ever built, get 93 Miles per gallon and can seat 17.
I never said any such thing and if you're going to throw your toys out of the playpen, I'm going to play elsewhere.

Have a super day.

Old 10-26-2007, 04:48 PM

Quote:
I never said any such thing and if you're going to throw your toys out of the playpen, I'm going to play elsewhere.

Have a super day.
Hmmmm, I just did the same thing to you that you did to me in the prior post.
Mine was obviously made up so that hopefully you would get the point.

Have a good run.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:27 AM

2 posts, read 2,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryfield View Post
Come on, you cannot possibly be serious. Put a Ford up against a Toyota or a Honda at 200,000 miles. Oh wait, you might not be able to find a Ford like that.

Plus Honda has plants in the US and Ford uses foreign parts...it's 6 to one 1/2 dozen to the other on that front.
1993 Ford Taurus I just sold had 285000KM on it (I'm in Canada), though I fixed many things on it over the years, it was a tank. The motor and tranny were still superb when I sold it.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:42 PM

34,430 posts, read 43,272,688 times
A 1995 Taurus wagon is currently in front of my house. Odometer-250,000. Original motor, replaced transmision at 140,000-Tropical Storm Isabel mud. Replacement transmission had 60,000 on it when installed.
2002 Taurus wagon-146,000
2003 F-150-101,000

All were bought new.

Had a 1984 Cavalier that turned over 300,000 with the original motor and trans.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:52 PM
HKB

220 posts, read 714,650 times
A few from Minnesota...

Polaris ATV's and snowmobiles.
Andersen Windows
Marvin Windows
Pearson's Nut Rolls

Old 01-29-2009, 11:10 PM

821 posts, read 1,815,317 times
Lodge Cast Iron Cookware - America's Original Cookware - South Pittsburg, TN USA
Moonpie: Homepage made in Chattanooga, TN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products