U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 12:27 AM

10,720 posts, read 17,696,326 times

Advertisements

I don't want to report someone to eBay if they did nothing wrong. An item was listed for $150 or best offer. I offered a $100. The seller contacts me and agrees to my $100 but says they countered with $1 and claimed they would bill the remaining $99 later. This sounds shady. If they agree to my $100 offer, why not just charge me $100. Why the Seller do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 05:27 AM

1,743 posts, read 4,073,746 times
Probably trying to avoid eBay fees.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:11 PM

15,240 posts, read 20,192,741 times
One word of warning...if you pay the $1 by Paypal and then pay the $99 later, the seller can claim that the cost of the item was only $1. Even if you pay the $99 by Paypal, you may have no proof that it was also for that item. So, if you dont get the item or if it arrives damaged or is significantly not as described, you may be able to recover only $1.

I dont sell on eBay but I buy a lot and I can sympathize with sellers' complaints about increased eBay fees on everything. I dont necessarily fault a seller for trying to save $$$ on fees -- but I wont get into a deal where I might not be able to get all my $$$ back if something goes wrong.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:38 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,495,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I dont sell on eBay but I buy a lot and I can sympathize with sellers' complaints about increased eBay fees on everything. I dont necessarily fault a seller for trying to save $$$ on fees -- but I wont get into a deal where I might not be able to get all my $$$ back if something goes wrong.
The sellers have an option - don't sell on eBay. I finally got fed up enough with their constant fee hikes and told them to take a hike themselves. If more sellers would have the balls to stand up to them, they might actually lower their fees, but as long as the sellers keep selling there, they're going to keep raping them on the fees.

As for the OP, yeah, it sounds like they're trying to avoid the fees. If that's the case, they should be reported to eBay (yeah, I know what I said in the last paragraph, but as long as they're going to use the service, they should pay what they agreed to pay). The potential scam that someone mentioned is also a possibility.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:53 PM

Well, swagger, your viewpoint is the black-and-white of it. I can appreciate that. And I respect you for standing up for what's right and leaving eBay.

But a lot of the world operates in grey areas....not in a legal sense but in an ethical one. If I buy something on eBay and want to buy more later, I contact the seller off-eBay to do so. White-and-black, that's not right because eBay rules prohibit it. Grey, who cares? It saves the seller some fees and eBay isnt about to go under because of it. (Of course, I do it only where I feel I can trust the seller -- and, so far, I havent been burned.)

I wish there were other sites to give eBay a run for its $$$. I've looked at buying on other auction sites and places like bonanza and etsy, but I havent found any place that has the variety and sheer volume of merchandise that eBay offers.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:31 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,495,154 times
Quote:
But a lot of the world operates in grey areas....not in a legal sense but in an ethical one. If I buy something on eBay and want to buy more later, I contact the seller off-eBay to do so. White-and-black, that's not right because eBay rules prohibit it. Grey, who cares? It saves the seller some fees and eBay isnt about to go under because of it. (Of course, I do it only where I feel I can trust the seller -- and, so far, I havent been burned.)
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. If a buyer and seller have an existing business relationship, it's none of eBay's business.

I had a number of customers that bought one product from me on eBay, and later bought more on my own site or over the phone. I also had people buy on eBay and then call or e-mail to add items to the order. There's nothing wrong with that. Ebay got the fees I agreed to pay for the products I listed for sale on their site. The sales that took place completely outside of their site are - literally - none of their business.

Quote:
I wish there were other sites to give eBay a run for its $$$. I've looked at buying on other auction sites and places like bonanza and etsy, but I havent found any place that has the variety and sheer volume of merchandise that eBay offers.
Tell me about it...

I have a business partner that's been wanting to build a site to compete directly with eBay, but he wants to do it on a shoestring budget. He's been bugging me about this for a decade. Every time he brings it up, I have to remind him there are a lot of companies with megabucks - Yahoo!, Amazon, Overstock - that have tried this and failed miserably.

Niche sites are the way to go. eBay certainly has the momentum for an everything-you-can-think-of auction site, and nobody's going to be able to touch them for a while, but niche sites (such as etsy) can offer sellers and buyers an experience that's finely tailored to their specific hobby or craft. eBay can't do this, and from what I've seen, isn't even trying.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:40 PM

eBay's rule is that, if your initial contact is thru eBay, any subsequent transactions must also be thru eBay. How silly is it to have a rule that's not enforceable? I guess eBay could enforce it by NARUing both the seller and the buyer -- but who'd report them and how could it be proven? In any event, though, you agree to that rule when you sign up. At least, I did when I signed up on eBay in 1997.

Edited to add that I didnt mis-interpret this rule. There was a lot of discussion at one time on the eBay boards about it.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:25 AM

20,546 posts, read 20,528,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I don't want to report someone to eBay if they did nothing wrong. An item was listed for $150 or best offer. I offered a $100. The seller contacts me and agrees to my $100 but says they countered with $1 and claimed they would bill the remaining $99 later. This sounds shady. If they agree to my $100 offer, why not just charge me $100. Why the Seller do this.
If you get 'screwed' and need your money back, you'll get $1.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 PM

19,899 posts, read 16,140,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

I have been buying and selling with ebay for over 8 years never had a problem, in this case RUN, i would not trust this seller in any way. Have you read this seller's feedback, that is a good reason for you not to want to buy from this seller, if he is loaded with negative feedback. I sell on ebay, and buy, got me curious to who the seller could be. Personally i would not risk buying from this seller.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,379 times
What if I only wanted to charge $1 for a musical digital download. How could I use pay pal advantageously?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products