U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:59 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,187,410 times

Advertisements

Since everyone seemed to enjoy my last Credit Card tip I thought I would share another.
I am again posting this in "Other Topics" because I feel the information is so important,that I feel it needs the exposure it would get here.

Do not write "SEE ID" on the back of your credit cards unless your signature is also there.
"SEE ID" is one of those "Urban Legends"
A store is supposed to only take credit cards that have a signature, besides the fact that it is against the policy of the Credit Card companies not to sign cards. Using "see ID" does NOT validate a credit card. On the back of every card is says -"Must be signed to be valid"
So a merchant can refuse to take the card if there is no signature.
The reason is that the signature isn't there solely so that store employees can verify who you are. Instead, your signature on the back of the card also demonstrates that you've agreed to the terms of the contract with the credit card company. If the card isn't signed, then technically you're never entered into a legal agreement with Visa, Mastercard, or whomever, and you shouldn't be using the card.
I would not want any of my CD buddies to run into any embarrassing situation with having their card refused.

What prompted this "tip" was our local morning news had a story this morning in their "Neighborhood crime alert" section.
I almost fell out of my chair when the CEO of a small local Credit Union told everyone to use "SEE ID" on their CCs.
I worked for a credit card company and new this was inaccurate information. So I did my research and called the News Station and the Credit Union to advise them if this.
Actually the reporter was unaware and seemed to be pleased this was brought to her attention (well she didn't hang up on me), she claimed she was going to do some more research. The person at the Credit Union I spoke with said she was aware that "SEE ID" was a urban legend and was going to make sure she brought this to the CEO's attention.
ROFL wouldn't you love to be a fly on the wall for that "chat", "Excuse me Ms. CEO but you were wrong"

Karla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 10:30 AM

13,599 posts, read 21,948,579 times
I never sign the back of any credit card. I haven't had any trouble..Guess the people accepting my cards are so greedy they don't care.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:43 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,561,365 times
Most companies in my town dont require signatures either.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:44 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,162,565 times
I have to show ID as well to make sure it matches the sig on my CC.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:18 PM

653 posts, read 3,152,611 times
The BEST Credit Card tip-----DON'T HAVE ONE!!!!!

Old 05-09-2007, 04:50 PM

13,599 posts, read 21,948,579 times
Good advice gregg. We only have one major card. It is always paid in full each month..I just hate to give anyone any interest

Old 05-09-2007, 07:38 PM

653 posts, read 3,152,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Good advice gregg. We only have one major card. It is always paid in full each month..I just hate to give anyone any interest
That's a smart thing to do. And I guess having an 'Active' card, just in case of an emergency--no harm in that either.

Old 05-10-2007, 03:06 PM

531 posts, read 1,875,139 times
I signed all of my cards then in permanent black marker wrote see ID. The very few clerks that actullay check the signature usually ignore the check ID. It is frightening how many times I use my card without anyone checking the signatures at all!

Old 05-10-2007, 03:41 PM

17,835 posts, read 30,187,410 times
I have gotten into the habit of saying "thank you " when they ask for ID.
Hoping that if they get thanked enough it will prompt them to ask.

karla

Old 05-10-2007, 04:52 PM

786 posts, read 4,354,647 times
Default Get as many Chase Credit Cards as you can

I love credit cards! I made about $1500 last year by cashing those credit card convenience checks that Chase sent me and depositing the money in a high yield savings account. I paid the minimum payment each month until the promotional period ended and then paid off the account. I made lots of extra income from the income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products