U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2009, 03:05 PM

1,917 posts, read 6,504,966 times

Advertisements

I remember as a child my mom would use a store's lay-a-way plan to get us clothes. We were very poor, but the anticipation of getting those new clothes was wonderful! I remember proudly handing the last of the layaway payments and my receipt and getting the loot! Ahhh the smell of brand new clothes. So it was no surprise when I saw a commercial for Sears announcing they had layaway, it brought back so many fond memories. Memories of waiting and planning exactly what my outfits were going to be, and how long until I had them. I learned that from my allowances I could go and make a payment towards our purchases and help out my mom pay it off faster (the allowance was from my grandparents). So now I see an online ad for Kmart layaway and I click on the link. They are offering online layaway! How cool is that? Now I've known that Kmart has been offering layaway for the longest, but there are no Kmarts in my area anymore. Ahhhh the old memories of NON instant gratification....the anticipation......and the pure joy of actually waiting for something you really, really want.

I think I'll put something on Layaway, just for the heck of it. Maybe some Christmas gifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 12:01 PM

761 posts, read 3,076,341 times
I think more stores should bring this back, to fend off the credit crisis. Everyone could then work towards it again, instead of buying with a credit card and paying it off after the fact. Good business move if you ask me.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:59 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,071,368 times
There are a lot of people who will be taking advantage of the lay-a-way plan this holiday season. I guess they are doing it since they are now with KMart who offers the same thing. I'm still debating whether to shop early and pay weekly. It is probably a great idea.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 PM

134 posts, read 378,116 times
I think more stores should offer layaway services,especially as we get closer to the Christmas season. I guess with credit cards stores don't feel layaway is needed as much.
As a child, my mom would often put my school clothing and Christmas presents on layaway.

Old 11-09-2009, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,206 times
WalMart would be so smart to bring back layaway. I used to do all my Xmas shopping at WalMart. I don't buy anything from them at Xmas time because they don't have layaway. KMart allows you to keep a layaway in right up until Xmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products