U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 07:14 PM

1,899 posts, read 4,201,079 times

Advertisements

I am so fed-up with eBay. You used to could buy nice things off eBay, and get good deals...but now?

They have TOTALLY changed the search function, which I hate.

They cover-up the NEGATIVE feedback - you have to hunt for it, whereas, before; it was right on the product page.

If someone is a "power-seller," they can get a huge amount of negatives in just a month or 3-month period, and still maintain a decent feedback rating.

That's just absurd.

I won't even order anything now, unless they have 100% feedback.

I think eBay has more going on than just selling products, if you get my drift.........I'm done with eBay. Not buying anything else from that site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 09:58 AM

9,198 posts, read 22,173,709 times
I never got started with eBay. On my first, and only, purchase, the seller screwed up, so I left a negative rating for him. He, in turn, replied with a negative rating of me, claiming I was "harsh." As a result, I have a permanent "-1" buyer rating. The next time I went to buy something, the site said I couldn't given my negative rating, unless I contacted the seller directly.

Really odd that they would set up a system that denies people the opportunity to spend money with them, but whatever ... plenty of other places to buy stuff. I never even think of eBay and haven't been to the site in a couple of years.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:14 AM

15,210 posts, read 18,499,742 times
eBay is just a big flea market. Anyone can buy a booth and sell their stuff. You have to be aware of who you're buying from, just as in a real-world flea market. Caveat emptor, and all that jazz.

I also avoid eBay whenever possible, but for different reasons. As a (former) eBay seller, I got fed up with their constant fee hikes and controlling mindset, so I flipped them the bird and went to selling on my website exclusively. The margin on my products was high enough that I could have absorbed the fee hikes easily, but I didn't really care so much about that - I wanted to send them a message. A lot of other sellers are sending the same message.

A friend of mine sells jewelry online, and he sells on eBay as well as his own site. The vast majority of his business comes from eBay. His margins are so razor thin that between the eBay and PayPal fees, he barely makes anything - eBay makes far more off his sales than he does.

eBay has it's good points and bad. From a seller's standpoint, the only real reason to use them is the traffic. From a buyer's standpoint, there are some good deals to be had, if you're looking, but there are some bad apples there, too, just as in real life.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:10 AM

21,280 posts, read 39,841,904 times
I've often felt ebay was a big flea market or yard sale. It sure has it's share of crummy sellers and buyers. There's plenty of them that want it for free, just like the clowns who show up at yards sales and want you to cut your $1 price to fifty cents on a $30 retail item in great shape. My last yard sale was 4.5 years ago and I'll never do another one. Some morons resent that they have to pay a buck for a $30 item, as if the world owes them something.

I haven't given totally up on ebay, but I buy and sell a lot less stuff there. One thing I gave up on totally is freecycle.org but that's another thread and if you search on that term you'll find my posts in that thread as well as many more from folks who've given up on that method of getting rid of stuff. I look at and try craigslist but that place is a joke all it's own, like people offering ripped up couches "for free" when all they really want is to have their garbage removed by some sucker at no cost to them. Nowadays, for me, it's either Goodwill or the garbage can. Books go to the library auxiliary for their charity book sale.

Bums me that no matter how much effort I put into accurate descriptions, good pix, quick mailing, excellent packing, email updates and feedback that I only get feedback half the time. Half of all ebay'ers are lazy selfish tirds.

As USPS and UPS rates rise for shipping services, it becomes less attractive to sell low cost items. I just sold some 1974-era Christmas tree ornaments; got $12 for them plus $8 for postage. When I got to the post office, the box cost me $10 to mail, plus ebay and paypal fees. End result is that I went to all that trouble for what, and came out maybe $7 to the good. Is this really worth it? The unsold ornaments went straight to the Goodwill drive-thru drop off point.

On the other hand, my wife likes to buy a certain brand of blouse in her size and gets about one per month on ebay, at a third of what she'd spend at Nordstrom for that label. It would cost us $8 for gas to drive the 90-mile round trip to Nordstrom in the south Denver metro area, so it's worth it to pay the $6 postage on a blouse.

If you collect something like a certain line of antiques, in my case items from a certain old railroad, than ebay is a good resource for such hard to find niche items. I've managed to find some good buys on old 12-inch laserdiscs on ebay.

What all this goes to say is that for niche items or some higher value / small package-size items (e.g., jewelry) than ebay is a good place. But if you got low-priced and very common stuff like you'd find at any yard sale (books, baby clothes & toys, etc) then ebay is probably not worth your time. I always check past sales to see what's selling and for how much, then I plan accordingly.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:10 AM

746 posts, read 3,206,597 times
I've done very well on eBay yet it annoys me just as much as anyone. It is a slow, clunky site, and serves up ads along with product listings which slows the whole darned process down. And it has become sort of an online closeout store as more and more retailers seem to unload unpopular merchandise via auction or BIN (Buy it Now) pricing.

But I have found that with some experience (I have been buying on eBay for a decade) you can really do well. I live on a fixed income - Social Security - and if I didn't have eBay I would be really struggling to get a new pair of drapes or printer cartridge. My only choice would be the big box stores, and despite their claims, their prices are really not all that good on most stuff.

I have over a thousand feedbacks, most from buying, and have only left one negative for a seller in all that time. I do look at feedback, and for other subtle cues like whether they use the shipping as a ripoff, or not. And if their TOS (terms of service) are longer than the description, it's on to the next listing. Sellers should be professional, friendly, and clear.

I watch out for sellers who use phrases such as "as is" and "I don't know much about..." and other obvious weasel words that tend to cover questionable item conditions. And photos, not generic ones, but specific ones that are clear and large.

As they say, caveat emptor.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 AM

20,557 posts, read 20,542,056 times
Hi, litlux......since we 'met' on OTWA, you know how long I've dealt with eBay.(I was acryslate and later, BarbNY there)
Since I can't use PayPal, eBay is no longer an option but I had pretty much quit before that.....once Search got so screwed up.
I still look occassionally but only because I can search using backdoors and sidedoors do I realize that a good share of the listings are never even seen anymore if just done the usual ways.

Since so many 'regular' sellers no longer bother and because it takes so much time, it makes it very unappealing

Old 11-05-2009, 10:10 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,179,763 times
I lost interest when Ebay discouraged money orders, which I always used (and NEVER once had a problem with).

However, some sellers will still accept money orders ~ one just needs to ask them in an email. I recently ordered an out-of-print cd and the seller accepted the m.o.

It's definitely become a big pain.

Old 11-07-2009, 02:43 PM

15,261 posts, read 20,204,469 times
I've been buying on eBay for 11+ years (almost since Day One) and, while I agree it's not the same as it was in the "good ole days", I still enjoy it tremendously. I have 3,100+ feedback and have had to give negs to sellers only two times in all those transactions. Of course, you have to be cautious about a seller's history (just as sellers would like to be cautious about a buyer's history), but the majority of people with good selling/buying history really are honest.

And I've been using Paypal since it first came out, as well. I'm glad that more online merchants are offering it.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:54 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,044,452 times
1999 through 2000 I made my living on eBay and did very well (Rare Lp's mostly, pottery, railroad secondly) The place has changed so much and like everyone said, its mostly a hassle now. Meg & Co. made their money so they let it go commercial.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:52 PM

19,899 posts, read 16,145,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
I am so fed-up with eBay. You used to could buy nice things off eBay, and get good deals...but now?

They have TOTALLY changed the search function, which I hate.

They cover-up the NEGATIVE feedback - you have to hunt for it, whereas, before; it was right on the product page.

If someone is a "power-seller," they can get a huge amount of negatives in just a month or 3-month period, and still maintain a decent feedback rating.

That's just absurd.

I won't even order anything now, unless they have 100% feedback.

I think eBay has more going on than just selling products, if you get my drift.........I'm done with eBay. Not buying anything else from that site.
What are you talking about, they do not hide the feedback it is up there on the right side, by the sellers name. There is a feedback number next to the seller's name you click that to see the feedback, i do it all the time.
Over the past 8 years, i have gotten so many fantastic deals,were if it were not for ebay, i would not have these items. I know the sellers i buy from, they all have good reputation, if they have negative feedback, i do read to see why. If the seller is selling an item for $2.00 but charging $20.00 for shipping charges, by by seller, i will not buy from them. You just need to be careful these days no matter where you shop, I have had trouble in macy's. And with overstock.com even though i like them. I have gotten some brand new Electronics from ebay, Printers, keyboards, 37 inch LCD tv, that was a price i could not believe, and the tv is still in my house after 2 years going strong. Brand new in the box. Just have to watch out for the sellers you choose to buy from, and i am always the one in charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products