U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Lowe's 42 77.78%
Home Depot 12 22.22%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 09:24 AM

11,733 posts, read 11,311,179 times

Advertisements

I like Lowe's better, mainly because I know first hand that they will stand behind their products. I had a one year old lawn mower fail, but I had lost the receipt. They replaced the lawn mower; no questions asked; no hassle. I'll go back.

However, Home Depot has lots of neat gadgets in the paint department I like to check out before starting a paint project. Snap seal paint can lids, drip proof pour spouts, etc. Lots of cool plastic stuff you can use when you paint. I use them with the paint I had mixed at Lowe's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 01:25 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,097 times
I like Home Depot because it's only 20 miles away.
Lowe's is 75 miles away.
Ace hardware is just down the street.
I like Ace the best.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:27 PM

19,849 posts, read 17,931,283 times
We have two within a mile of each other. I like Lowes and it puts Home Depot to shame.
I was looking at refrigerators and Lowes appliance section was HUGE. But I'll buy from a local business we've bought from for years. They just did a super job and went the extra mile to give us a good buying experience.
But there are other local businesses I'll pass up in favor of Lowes. I'm loyal to businesses who show me they want my business and who have always been there to meet my needs. If they don't make me feel valued, screw them.

Old 11-20-2009, 05:31 PM

13,483 posts, read 25,864,067 times
I've never found anything that I'm looking for at Lowes, and their garden department sucks. I much prefer Home Depot.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:51 PM

19,899 posts, read 16,140,943 times
Although there are things about both, that i prefer, I do like Home Depot's paints, and some smaller scale items, but overall, for neatness, appearance of store, someone always available to answer my questions, and in my opinion only better selections overall, would be Lowes. They do carry a lot of the same items now, and those items, i check to see who does have the better price. I like the appliance section much better, sales reps there seem to know more about appliances when i ask a question then at home depots. I cannot always find a sales person at our home depot. I do like them both, but overall, for better selection, neatness of store, appearance, some good markdowns, it would have to be lowes.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:34 PM

9 posts, read 40,562 times
Hello
Which store is better to rent their blowing machine for green fiber insulation Home Depot or Lowe's?
Please let me know if you ever rent this machine and your experience: deposit,price, how many days, did you have problems with the machine? etc.
Thank you very much

Old 02-04-2010, 12:22 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,866,173 times
We go to both, but for some reason I just like Lowes better.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 AM

207 posts, read 600,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
I think they are both hitting bottom.

Lowes is generally better, but only in terms of service compared to age, they seem to decompose slower than HD.

They both have problems after they have been around a while, although Lowes seems to have more people out and around to help you uot than HD....

The thnig I really hate is their competition. They seem to clump. Instead of finding a place where there is no hardware store, they plunk themselves down right next to each other to compete, an dthe areas that have none still have to drive 20 minutes to get to one (on Sunday, or whatever).

It would make comparison pricing easier if the two did not carry pretty much the same thing at the same price either.....

But both of their Made in China product lines are cheaper than the Local Mom and Pop (and Bro and Sis, and Cousin, and Cousin-in-law-thrice removed...) hardware shops.

It is awfully hard to visit a local lighting shop (I AM TALKING ABOUT YOU GLOBE LIGHTING!!!) when the prices are 2x to 3x higher than the generic fixtures at these chains....

Ah well, rant over. 1 vote (marginally) for Lowes.
Good post. I feel like I should quit buying 'plastic from China' and support local businesses too. You can always buy it cheaper - but is it made to last?

Where I lived in FL I found Lowes to be awful as far as getting help. I could always tell when mgmt. would get onto them about cust. service - they would trip over each other to help you and then in a few weeks they would ignore you as usual. I like HD better.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 AM

1,297 posts, read 4,187,180 times
I have spent a fortune in Lowes over the yrs but one thing I have noticed in smaller populated areas is they don't carry all the same stuff. For example I needed some hardware that goes on pegboards to hang tools on in Somerset,KY, a town of 25,000. They sold the pegboard but discontinued the hardware. Said they did not sell enough of it. Well I was not going to drive 150 miles roundtrip to Lexington,KY so went without.

They also did not sell insulated 4x8 sheets for walls and said same thing. I now do most shopping at Menards which is basicly still the same as Lowes etc.

Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 AM

8 posts, read 11,288 times
I have 2 lowes and depots about the same distance in both directions from me. I use to shop HD like crazy till lowes showed up. To me Lowes has much cleaner stores. I recently had to stop in a HD and the ground was covered in what look like dust and saw dust mixed. The air was kinda filled with it too. It was kinda hazy inside. Lowes is always clean to me. The draws with nuts and bolts are always organized, at lowes its a complete mess. People opening bags and stealing a couple and now you have junk drawer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products