U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-07-2009, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
22,195 posts, read 22,683,405 times
Reputation: 10921

Advertisements

I am so sick and tired of having to buy a new vacuum every couple of years and not having them work worth a darn. I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for -- at least most of the time -- and maybe I just haven't been willing to fork out enough money for a decent one so far. Some of them are so incredibly expensive, though. I hesitate to plop down six or eight hundred dollars if I can get a good one for less. We have two large dogs that shed heavily. I always try to rake up the excess hair before I vacuum, but I still have a problem with hair and need a vacuum that will pick up dog hair without clogging constantly. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-07-2009, 12:42 PM
 
Location: The end of the road Alaska
860 posts, read 1,774,239 times
Reputation: 1757
I bit the bullit and bought an Orek over 10 years ago. It's still the most amazing vacuum I've ever had. I have a small cabin with a spiral staircase leading to the loft and I can pack that thing up the stairs with one hand. It goes from floors to carpet without any adjusting or loss of efficiency. I have a very sheddy golden lab and white long-haired cat so I'm vacuuming nearly every day and this thing just keeps on truckin. The bags seal themselves as you lift them from the unit so you never have that gunk floating backatcha when you replace the bag. It has a heppa filter so I don't feel like I"m blowing particles back into the room. If you can come up with enough cash I wouldn't buy anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 01:49 PM
 
Location: The Circle City. Sometimes NE of Bagdad.
19,139 posts, read 19,984,056 times
Reputation: 49638
+1 on the Oreck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
22,195 posts, read 22,683,405 times
Reputation: 10921
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I bit the bullit and bought an Orek over 10 years ago. It's still the most amazing vacuum I've ever had. I have a small cabin with a spiral staircase leading to the loft and I can pack that thing up the stairs with one hand. It goes from floors to carpet without any adjusting or loss of efficiency. I have a very sheddy golden lab and white long-haired cat so I'm vacuuming nearly every day and this thing just keeps on truckin. The bags seal themselves as you lift them from the unit so you never have that gunk floating backatcha when you replace the bag. It has a heppa filter so I don't feel like I"m blowing particles back into the room. If you can come up with enough cash I wouldn't buy anything else.
Thank you! I've actually thought about getting an Orek. I'd just never talked to anyone who had one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2009, 05:56 PM
 
Location: LI/VA/IL
2,480 posts, read 4,723,579 times
Reputation: 6657
I have a Hoover upright wind tunnel with a hepa filter. Has to be at least 4 years old. I had an older model at least 7 years old-gave it to my daughter.
No problems with either. The suction is really good especially when you keep the canister empty or really low of debris.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 12:55 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
22,195 posts, read 22,683,405 times
Reputation: 10921
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKVA View Post
I have a Hoover upright wind tunnel with a hepa filter. Has to be at least 4 years old. I had an older model at least 7 years old-gave it to my daughter.
No problems with either. The suction is really good especially when you keep the canister empty or really low of debris.
My mom had a Hoover the entire time I was growing up. She gave it to me when I got married and I used it for years after that. It was an excellent vacuum. But the vacuums I've been having to replace every couple of years are also Hoovers. Right now I'm less then inclined to go out and buy a new one.

Anybody else have a good experience with Oreks? And what about Dysons?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-08-2009, 05:28 PM
 
Location: LI/VA/IL
2,480 posts, read 4,723,579 times
Reputation: 6657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
My mom had a Hoover the entire time I was growing up. She gave it to me when I got married and I used it for years after that. It was an excellent vacuum. But the vacuums I've been having to replace every couple of years are also Hoovers. Right now I'm less then inclined to go out and buy a new one.

Anybody else have a good experience with Oreks? And what about Dysons?
Maybe I just been lucky??? I have never had a problem with a hoover-years ago even had a canister with no problem.

In thinking-I have had problems with beater bar not spinning which created a smoky smell. I fixed it myself by taking it apart and removing hair which became wrapped around a bearing.
I have found that vacuum cleaners are pretty easy to fix even for a novice like me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Moon Over Palmettos
5,975 posts, read 17,758,511 times
Reputation: 5018
I just purchased a refurbished Electrolux canister from Amazon. I have hardwoods and carpet, plus carpeted stairs. I also have a heavy-shedding golden retriever and found that this best satisfies my requirements. It cost me $229 vs brand new at around $350. A two-year warranty from Electrolux is included with the purchase. I also have an Oreck upright and am pretty happy with it. I use that on the second floor which is entirely carpeted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 06:03 PM
 
Location: Utah
5,035 posts, read 14,674,596 times
Reputation: 5069
I have a Dyson Animal DC17 I think is the model number. I think it's about 5 years old. I have an 11 pound Dachshund/Toy Poodle mix. The Dyson does a great job vacuuming up her fur. I like it's performance. Three things I dislike about it are: no light, it puts off a lot of heat, not easy to clean the stairs even with mini turbine head.

My sister-in-law just got a Rainbow vacuum. My brother (not the husband of said SIL) used to sell them many years ago. My SIL can't stop cleaning her house. She loves the air purifier or filter function too. She didn't have to plunk down a couple thousand dollars for the vacuum. Rainbow is letting the buyer "work it off" through future demonstrations referred by the buyer. The buyer accompanies a trailed demonstrator on a minimum of 11 demonstrations. The rule is one person between demos number 1-10 has to buy a vacuum and another sell has to occur after demo number 11. So in order to get a rainbow, the buyer has to sell two, then pay $150 sales tax. No more out of pocket costs. Not trying to suggest this is the vacuum for you. Just stating that my SIL loves hers. She has a 3 year old weimaraner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
 
Location: Denver 'burbs
22,028 posts, read 23,564,460 times
Reputation: 37578
I have a Hoover Windtunnel (bagged)....I also have a golden retriever (ie lots of dog hair)...I have loved it. I will say, I thought it died a few years back, took it in to see about repairing and it turned out I needed a 2 new belts and a new beater bar....it's worked like a charm ever since....My friends all have Dysons (the pet hair ones) and LOVE them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top