U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:16 PM

6,039 posts, read 9,560,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbit View Post
Those sound nice, but i'm set on a real diamond.

anyone got advice?
Yeah, don't do it. The diamond business (and the notion that a man must buy diamonds in order to prove his love for a woman) is a huge rip-off. If you DO buy a diamond, don't ever ever expect to resell it for what you paid for it. I say this as someone who spent years in the business.

If you must buy a gem for your woman, buy something that is actually pretty -- like a good quality sapphire, ruby, tsavorite, or any number of other beautiful precious gems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:29 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,377,794 times
I was a jeweler for 20 years - owned my own store for 17 years before I retired. I am a gemologist (GG) & studied in in residence at GIA.

GIA is THE education of the industry - it's the only lab I would consider sending material to.

All that said, I think the whole certificate chase is 90% marketing. The problem is that today consumers do not have relationships with businesses nor the owners. So, you are kind of stuck with a paper certificate. On the other side, the certificate decreases the businesses responsibility. But that's today's market.

I suggest that you look for a local jeweler who is a GG (Graduate Gemologist) & has studied at GIA (in residence). Ask them for a short session on diamond quality. In the real world - far from the computer screen! - you can see how different each diamond is. Diamond grading is subjective. Many times people are under the impression that it's all about "grade" and that all those of a certain grade are the same - not true at all. Each stone is different - even in the "exact grade". I think you will find a real, hands on information so much more interesting than the text of reading. Diamonds are exciting and interesting.

You might check out stores that are members of American Gem Society - they are required to have GGs on staff.

Good luck in your seach - you are going to love it!!

Old 11-16-2009, 04:38 PM

738 posts, read 2,654,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
You might want to visit a site like PriceScope.com. They have offer a lot of info and have a forum where the members can explain the differences to you.
+1 to this site, I found it very helpful when researching diamonds for my wife's engagement ring. I learned a lot about the 4C's, plus all the other characteristics you have to look at as well. It's important to evaluate the stone away from all the lights in jewelry stores two, everything has a tendency to look good in the store since they have lights shining from every single angle, so try to block out some of the excess light when checking out the stones.

I had my wife's ring independently appraised after I bought it as well, and learned a ton of stuff in person from the appraiser - because there are a lot of other characteristics to consider in addition to the basic 4C's. He showed me two stones that were identical according to the 4C's, but one looked great and the other was a dud. If you can get in touch with a trustworthy independent appraiser ahead of time, they can help you evaluate your stone prior to purchasing it based on the GIA report. Based on what I learned from pricescope, GIA is the industry standard for diamond grading and AGI is also a very strict grading lab; the other labs - EGL, IGI, etc- are generally not worth as much and are usually used to label a stone as a higher grade than it would be on GIA's scale.

I purchased my wife's ring from UnionDiamond and we were quite happy with it. Their customer service rep was really helpful as well in helping me narrow down my choices and come to the right stone. We've also bought several things from BlueNile. They're two of the larger online retailers, it was a little nerve racking at first, but we got pretty high quality stones for a great price.

With something so valuable, don't forget to have the ring insured!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:39 PM

538 posts, read 1,916,528 times
Quote:
You might want to visit a site like PriceScope.com. They have offer a lot of info and have a forum where the members can explain the differences to you.
Yup! I've frequented that site for several years now. The good folks there are very helpful and you will find a much better diamond if you follow their advice than you would otherwise.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:49 PM

6 posts, read 12,946 times
thanks for all the help guys and girls*

Last edited by habbit; 11-16-2009 at 07:23 PM..

Old 12-18-2009, 06:48 AM

5 posts, read 13,029 times
Default GIA & DIamondexotica

GIA means gemological institute of America.Diamondexotica has all its diamonds certified from the GIA.All diamond rings from Diamondexotica are GA certified.The diamond jewelry is affordable.

Old 12-19-2009, 05:40 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,457,131 times
Quote:
All I will say is that some people have very strong opinions on diamonds regarding the 4Cs. I've seen a lot of drama ensue on messageboards over it. LOL You just have to figure out your budget and where you want to put your money.
The CUT of the diamond could make a difference as well. I had an emerald cut diamond, and that's a cut that really requires colorlessness and clarity in order to show well. That one large flat facet on the top gets smudgy easily, and if the diamond has internal flaws, it can look a little murky. If you're doing a different cut, though, something with a lot more facets that catch and reflect the light, you can save yourself some bucks by going down a notch or two in color or clarity.

My biggest advice about buying a diamond, if you're buying it for your lady as an engagment ring or some such, is to try to get an idea of what she wants/likes. I think we DO all have preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products