U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:43 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,475,972 times

Advertisements

The one (ring) you need to concerned about is the one that she will put in your nose after you're married...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,911,481 times
I would do some research to find a better bargain than you'll get at Jared. That store is the biggest ripoff

I would definitely go for a diamond with good clarity and color over a larger stone that may not be as nice.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:39 PM

13,542 posts, read 13,981,823 times
more important than price or cut, is getting a ring that your fiancee really really really likes.
on something like the ring, many women prefer to have input into helping make the choice

so you may want to check with the jeweler to ensure they have an "exchange" policy in case she wants to pick something different. that way you have the fun of surprising her with a ring, and she has the option of helping select something she really likes if she chooses something different. Plus you will have her immense gratitude and appreciation that you are considerate enough and thoughtfull enough to take into consideration her feelings, and include her in the selection.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:48 PM

13,542 posts, read 13,981,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
for the best value, don't buy a brand new ring from a chain jewelry store. Buy one off the secondary market from a reputable independent jeweler.
i gotta go with miu here, new rings are a ripoff

i would much prefer something elegant and classy and individual from a jeweler that deals with antique jewelry and estate jewelry. Ask to see the selection of "estate jewelry" and they bring out the trays of really cool pieces that are one of a kind and beautiful.

and consider going on a shopping expedition with your fiancee. One of the most enjoyable activities to do as an engaged couple, is to go shopping together for the ring, it is a blast, and romantic, and a memory the two of you can cherish for the rest of your marriage

i know so many women who express disappointment with the ring the man selected for them, but can't say anything for fear of "hurting his feelings." No, it is not ungrateful or spoiled. It is realistic and honest. Most women would like to have input on choosing a ring because it IS so significant, it is something they wear and cherish for decades, and it is a sign of respect towards a woman to be included in the decision.

the ring symbolizes the committment of the relationship. i don't think most men would want their wives every time they look at their ring or talk about their ring to have it be with feelings of disappointment. that sort of taints the marriage.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM

7,136 posts, read 11,162,617 times
My DH took me "hypothetical" diamond shopping and told me to pick three that that I loved. I wasn't sure of his budget, etc. so I picked a small, medium, and large. It was a fun and exciting day and I was touched that he wanted my input. He really grasped the significance of the ring, talked about it being a family heirloom someday, and that impressed me. My DH is a sweetheart.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:56 PM

7,346 posts, read 7,234,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnydee View Post

My DH took me "hypothetical" diamond shopping and told me to pick three that that I loved. I wasn't sure of his budget, etc. so I picked a small, medium, and large. It was a fun and exciting day and I was touched that he wanted my input. He really grasped the significance of the ring, talked about it being a family heirloom someday, and that impressed me. My DH is a sweetheart.
Mine took me shopping around to get an idea of the style I liked, but in the end, bought me a beautiful silver and amber ring as a "place holder", then we went together to pick out the "for real" setting later. He, too, rocks.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 PM

3,284 posts, read 2,925,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Mine took me shopping around to get an idea of the style I liked, but in the end, bought me a beautiful silver and amber ring as a "place holder", then we went together to pick out the "for real" setting later. He, too, rocks.
Was it an akward letdown when he surprised you with the ring before he had a chance to explain you would be able to pick one out?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:07 PM

564 posts, read 2,127,000 times
1500 dollars?

GOOD LAWD DAT'S A LOT OF MONEY. HOW BOUT I BUY YOU A LIFE SAVER AND SUCK ON IT TILL IT FITS YO FINGA!

Please tell me my In Living Color references aren't completely lost on you people.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:18 PM

7,346 posts, read 7,234,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays1983 View Post

Was it an akward letdown when he surprised you with the ring before he had a chance to explain you would be able to pick one out?
Actually, the awkward letdown happened when he started out by asking me if I wanted to live together -- something I'd made perfectly clear from the beginning that I was unwilling to do -- but before I could say a word, his mother walked into the room and interrupted! (We were visiting his family in Denmark for the holidays.)

While he went over to ask her to scoot so we could have some privacy, I was desperately trying to figure out how I was going to say no and not hurt his feelings. Then when he came back, he proposed marriage, so at that point I didn't really care what kind of ring he'd given me. He later claimed he was so nervous that he was trying to work his way "up" to the actual marriage proposal and it came out all wrong the first time. I guess I have his mother to thank. Love you, mom!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:22 PM

534 posts, read 1,438,126 times
I'm probably one of the few women that picked out the smallest diamond engagement ring. I think my engagment and wedding band total was 500 bucks. I love them and have received so many compliments on my wrap(it's multi0colored gems). I was never about big and expensive. I have tiny fingers so anything huge would look ridiculous. Oh and our whole wedding was about 3 grand(12 years ago)and I wouldn't change a thing. All of our guests had a blast and told us so. Why rings and weddings need to be so expensive is beyond me. I am simple and have never been about fancy expensive stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products