U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 02:58 PM

3,968 posts, read 7,677,061 times

Advertisements

??

who said i didn't value engagement rings ?
i just thought that a bike was a nice idea.

i can't use a ring to go to work, but every time i rode my engagement bike i'd think of my fiance

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The problem is, a bike won't last forever and a diamond ring will

Obviously there is some symbolism to the engagment ring that some of you don't value - and that's fine, to each his own. But to others the ring is meant to endure the way the marriage is meant to endure - it's a tangible reminder of the important committment a couple has made to one another
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 04:19 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,113,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
??

who said i didn't value engagement rings ?
i just thought that a bike was a nice idea.

i can't use a ring to go to work, but every time i rode my engagement bike i'd think of my fiance
A lot of people don't even bother with engagement rings, they just go for the band. If that is okay with both people, then I'd agree with whomever said to spend it on the honeymoon. If it were possible, that is what I would have opted for instead of a wedding. (hawaii)

Old 11-13-2009, 04:23 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,113,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
hence why i'm not buying a 10k ring.
This is just my two cents, but there are a lot of people that don't care for white gold either (myself included). How do you know she wouldn't prefer a smaller stone in a platinum or 18 carat band? Or even just a band with diamonds in it, or a set that includes a band and an engagement ring? You are talking to us, when you should be doing your secret research on what "she" likes. Does she have a best girlfriend that might know what she likes?

Old 11-13-2009, 05:38 PM

13,540 posts, read 13,970,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
This is just my two cents, but there are a lot of people that don't care for white gold either (myself included). How do you know she wouldn't prefer a smaller stone in a platinum or 18 carat band? Or even just a band with diamonds in it, or a set that includes a band and an engagement ring?
oooooh, florida is on to something for sure

or even have the two of you meet with an artist and design something special based on what is meaningful to both of you. I have known several couples who did that, and the jewelry is stunning, individual, custom-made, created specifically for the two of you. Truly beautiful and a work of art.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:12 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,388,023 times
You need to get a QUALITY ring. None of these sound really great, IMO. They will look nice and shiny of course when you're looking at them, but you also need to take into consideration how they're going to last. A common thing for rings to do is have the loop wear out. If you purchase a cheap but pretty ring, it'll snap right off her finger in a year. You'll also deal with a mis-shapen and faded color ring. You do not want that. Take my advice--I have a family full of jewelers--get a quality ring (a CHAIN is not quality) and fork up a little bit more money. Also, 3/4 carat is average. Take that into consideration, too.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:36 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,847,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The problem is, a bike won't last forever and a diamond ring will

Obviously there is some symbolism to the engagment ring that some of you don't value - and that's fine, to each his own. But to others the ring is meant to endure the way the marriage is meant to endure - it's a tangible reminder of the important committment a couple has made to one another
Actually, I have the bicycle that my great grandmother learned to ride on....

I also have several bikes from the 1970's and my mtb is vintage 1996 and still going strong. Of course most of my bikes cost more that the OP is planning to spend on this ring.....

But I hear you on the symbolism, and I respect that.

I guess that is part of the problem I have with rings purchased at the "big box" retailers of the diamond trade. They are just not personal nor symbolic enough. And don't even get me started on the DeBeers and their marketing campaign, let alone their ethics (I'll save that for the politics forum).

I have friends who have custom-designed bands. They don't have to be fancy, or super $$$, but they have meaning to the people who wear them.

So, if I had to wear a ring, I'd probably like something in titanium or tungsten with special, personal, engraving or an inscription.

Old 11-13-2009, 06:42 PM

45,269 posts, read 89,529,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Actually, I have the bicycle that my great grandmother learned to ride on....

I also have several bikes from the 1970's and my mtb is vintage 1996 and still going strong. Of course most of my bikes cost more that the OP is planning to spend on this ring.....

But I hear you on the symbolism, and I respect that.

I guess that is part of the problem I have with rings purchased at the "big box" retailers of the diamond trade. They are just not personal nor symbolic enough. And don't even get me started on the DeBeers and their marketing campaign, let alone their ethics (I'll save that for the politics forum).

I have friends who have custom-designed bands. They don't have to be fancy, or super $$$, but they have meaning to the people who wear them.

So, if I had to wear a ring, I'd probably like something in titanium or tungsten with special, personal, engraving or an inscription.
How cool that you have your great-grandmothers bike! That's a real antique

I agree with you about custom-designed bands with unique inscriptions - my husband and I did that and it makes the rings so much more valuable to us

Old 11-13-2009, 09:10 PM

13,888 posts, read 14,932,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
Options:

#1 .58 Ct, colorless (F), I(1), round set in white gold $1800 after taxes

#2 .50 Ct, colorless (F), I(1), round set in white gold $1400 after taxes

#3 .48 Ct, nearcolorless (H), I(2), round set in white gold $1000 after taxes

All are certified.

one from Kay, one from Shaws, one from Zeals
I went to either kay or zales, they show you their diamonds under a basic "magnifier" not a true jewelers loop where you can really see what you are getting. that magnifier is a joke. I would not buy a ring from any of the places you list here. figure these ring wholesale are at least 1/2 of what they are charging you. if you are going to buy from a chain at least go to a better quality store. get a smaller ring that may cost the same but the ring is better quality. go for the best of your budget, pick the best color and clarity and cut you can. jewelery is emotional and I think it is great she can return it if she would like something else.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:51 PM

454 posts, read 1,258,826 times
thanks everyone for your help and advice.
i went to Zeals yesterday and bought option #3. :-)
i went to 15 jewelery stores before selecting this one...
it was 1500, then 999 as the sale.....i talked to the manager and got a 10% discount, and then talked to the sales manager and got a 50 dollar card that he let me use towards my purchase.....
so....849.....then i bought the warranty on the ring itself that covers fading, multiple resizing, cleaning, etc for life for 84 dollars....total, with warranty and taxes came to $980. (they were going to charge me 31 dollars for the initial resizing anyway. i paid 84 and got the warranty and that way i don't have to pay the 31)

and i have 100 days for a full refund if she doesn't like it or wants to upgrade. :-)

cheers.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:27 PM

4,270 posts, read 14,069,742 times
How excitiing!! You are going to get varying responses because everyone's taste is different. Remember, the only opinion on the ring that matters is your S.O. so check out her jewelry and if you can ask questions without giving it away then that may be helpful, too. Or, you can ask her good friends and family and see what they think (ask the ones you know you trust).

When my husband asked, it was pretty obvious where we were headed so I flat out told him beforehand that I wanted a princess cut but he ended up getting me a round one and I absolutely loved the ring he picked out.

"Spend as much as you can" is not something I agree with even though I think a nice big rock is pretty awesome. You want to start your marriage off good and being in debt because of the ring is a bad idea, IMO. Maybe some women don't care about that kind of stuff but I'm glad my hubby stayed within his means instead of the outrageous amount that his relatives (the women anyway - absolutely love and adore them though!) tried to get him to spend. Maybe secretly I wish he did spend that kind of money but I'm also a practical person. hehe

Can I also add, if she is close to her father, asking him for permission, I think, will be something she'll really appreciate - at least I did. I was totally awed that he would even think to do that.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products