Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 03:26 PM

454 posts, read 1,407,109 times

Advertisements

so,
as some of you already know, i'm planning on proposing (maybe privately, maybe not) in a couple of weeks.....

I've been shopping around for a ring for a while and have checked out a few of the most famous/well known places on the east coast....i've ended up at JARED

anyway, although i have the cash, i really don't want to spend too much cuase i know that she would much rather us spending the extra money on a nice vacation to an exotic place....(or maybe i'm wrong??)

i've set a budget of 1500 and some may say that's too little....but i honestly can't bring myself to spend too much on a ring! (the ring is just a symbol....there are other things that matter more....right?)

ok, back to the ring.
i've decided on one of these two rings:

1: 5/8 CT, round, H-I, near colorless in a simple white gold setting: $1399

OR

2. 1/2 CT, Princess, H-I, near colorless in the same ring as option 1 : $900

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 04:00 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,345,842 times
Are there any rings that your girlfriend currently wears that you can go by to make a choice?

Does she wear gold or silver? What are the shapes of most of her jewels? Does she prefer larger or smaller jewelry?

Would she rather a larger a larger single diamond or a smaller one with a wrap?

Take notice to the kinds of things she is currently wearing/looks at in stores.

Good luck and congrats!

Old 11-11-2009, 04:19 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,545,163 times
Its not about the deal, women buy things that speak to them.
Choose the ring that best suits her likes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
so,
as some of you already know, i'm planning on proposing (maybe privately, maybe not) in a couple of weeks.....

I've been shopping around for a ring for a while and have checked out a few of the most famous/well known places on the east coast....i've ended up at JARED

anyway, although i have the cash, i really don't want to spend too much cuase i know that she would much rather us spending the extra money on a nice vacation to an exotic place....(or maybe i'm wrong??)

i've set a budget of 1500 and some may say that's too little....but i honestly can't bring myself to spend too much on a ring! (the ring is just a symbol....there are other things that matter more....right?)

ok, back to the ring.
i've decided on one of these two rings:

OR

thoughts?

Old 11-11-2009, 04:43 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Ask her mom what her daughter's taste in engagement rings might be? And what do you think would look best on your girlfriend's hand?

Otherwise, for the best value, don't buy a brand new ring from a chain jewelry store. Even Blue Nile isn't that cheap. Buy one off the secondary market from a reputable independent jeweler.

Old 11-11-2009, 04:44 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,668,915 times
I don't think Jared is giving you the most bang for your buck. Although I'm sure your fiancee will love whatever ring you choose for her, I want to remind you of a few things: First, I would not be so practical/conservative with this purchase. Your dear wife will wear this ring until until the day she dies and then will want it to go to your daughter. Second, you only get one chance with an engagement ring, so consider splurging a bit. Third, most women I've talked to secretly wished for a diamond of close to one carat. I don't know your finances, but this will/should be the best piece of jewelry you ever give to her.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:13 PM

85 posts, read 153,895 times
About used jewelry... In some cultures wearing a ring that belonged to somebody else is a big no-no. Something about that person's problems being passed along, or some such thing.

However, melting down old jewelry to make a new piece is considered all right, as far as I know.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:37 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,523,555 times
I refuse to EVER buy from Jared because of those nauseatingly stupid commercials. They actually make me vomit in my mouth every time I see one.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:49 PM

222 posts, read 500,708 times
From a financial stand point choice #1: 5/8 CT, round, is the better selection. Round diamonds are the preferred diamond as the cut shows the color and sparkle better.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:54 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,435,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post

OR

thoughts?
First of all, MAZEL TOV!

As for the ring, since the settings are identical, and the sizes only differ by 1/8 carat, the primary differences are the cut and the price.

My favorite cut is the princess cut, so I would love that one! But we used my mother's diamond that I inherited when she died, which happens to be round cut, and I still love my ring to pieces.

Is this basically the ring you're talking about?

Classic Solitaire settings for Diamond Engagement Rings (http://design.jared-diamonds.com/engagement-rings/classic-solitaire-settings/ring/item_57-5714.asp - broken link)

You could also buy a loose diamond, princess cut, .58 carats, graded E-VS1 (which is a better grade than the H-I), for $1,070. Link (http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Diamond-Princess-carats-clarity/dp/B0015MV2XG/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&s=jewelry&qid=1257985941&sr=1-21 - broken link). If you can buy the setting and pay for the mounting for less than $300, this would be an even better investment for about the same price.

Good luck!

Old 11-11-2009, 06:31 PM

187 posts, read 636,060 times
first of all good luck to you!
i am a frugal (not to say pretty cheap) person..but in such occasions you should not be cheap!!this is a ring for a life (you will never propose again..we hope)and then it has to be special!!do not look at the money!spend as much as you can!your max!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products