U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which phone do you have? Cellphone or Landline or both.
Cellphone only 22 23.40%
Landline only 11 11.70%
Both a cellphone and landline. 60 63.83%
No cellphone and landline. 1 1.06%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:18 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,594,060 times

Advertisements

Whenever my daughter is not with me, which is not often I can always be reached...I would hate to think of her in trouble or hurt and not be able to get me on the phone.

I have a friend who has Vonage and her phone service SUCKS big time, the sound on the phone is terrible, the calls drop like on a cell phone...its unreal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 01:09 PM

688 posts, read 2,621,123 times
I have a cell phone but I also get unlimited long distance with digital phone service through Time Warner with their all in one package. So I have my road runner, digital cable and phone. If the power goes out my phone is out though, but who cares, I have a cell phone! My TW bill is only around $86 a mo. though because the community I live in comes with basic cable all ready so all I had to do was pay a little more for the upgrade. The internet is 29.95, phone is 39.95 and then the rest is the upgrade on the cable and the taxes/fees. Not too bad I suppose. Cell phone I have through Sprint and I pay 59.99 a mo. with two lines, free nights/weekends starting a 7pm and the phones were free with no activation fees, so I think I got a pretty good deal on that as well.

Old 05-15-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Whenever my daughter is not with me, which is not often I can always be reached...I would hate to think of her in trouble or hurt and not be able to get me on the phone.

I have a friend who has Vonage and her phone service SUCKS big time, the sound on the phone is terrible, the calls drop like on a cell phone...its unreal.
My father in law has Vonage and while it's cheaper (only a little) than TW, it drops calls alot. Sometimes I can't even get through to him the phones will be down. TW, I've had no trouble with I think I've had only one call drop before. We've had lots of thunderstorms and snowstorms and still no problem. I thought about going to Vonage before because it was cheaper, but when he got Vonage and I witnessed how terrible it was, I was happy to pay the extra!

Old 05-15-2007, 02:39 PM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,938,078 times
OK I know you all want to know this so here it is.

I have a cell phone, 2 lines, Cingular, with the media package and IMs and long distance and unlimited nights and weekends and who knows what - $89/mth.

I have a basic landline at home for DSL connection, that comes out to $55/mth. AHA but I also have one of those OLDDDDDD Princess phones with the curly cords so that when my power goes out and my cell phones are dead, we can still talk! Now I have a generator too so we can charge the cell phone and then we can really talk every which way! :-))

I have Comcast cable with that shmansy box for $90/mth.

THEN we have the LCD HDTVs, 15", 20", 27", 32" and 46". I just need one more for a bathroom! :-))

Old 05-15-2007, 07:41 PM

1,406 posts, read 4,712,802 times
Have a landline and cell phone -- I rarely have decent cell service at home so I couldn't depend on it in an emergency. And like VP said, phones are still on usually during storms. I, too, have DSL and need the phone line.

I probably spend less on cell phone calls than anyone else on earth. When I just got a new phone, they averaged out my past 3 months at 6 minutes! I primarily use it when we're away from home for an extended period.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:37 PM

942 posts, read 1,090,487 times
I only have a cellphone, I don't have this landline they like to call the homephone

Old 05-15-2007, 11:13 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,594,060 times
During the hurricanes of 2004 alot of people were finding that because they had the internet based phone, they had no service when the power was out...

I of course had added a regular no frill corded phone to my hurricane supplies because the ones with all the frills don't work when there is no power.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:26 PM

30,586 posts, read 28,259,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
During the hurricanes of 2004 alot of people were finding that because they had the internet based phone, they had no service when the power was out...

I of course had added a regular no frill corded phone to my hurricane supplies because the ones with all the frills don't work when there is no power.
You’re the first one that I’ve seen who has identified a very important problem with using only a cell phone, and even internet or land line phones! People MUST get and have available a simple old phone that doesn’t need any power supplied by the transformer or batteries. Just a phone that can operate off of the teleco provided service in the area. It’s no good if you can’t be called, you need a phone number assigned to you and dial tone to call out whenever there is an emergency.

Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
You’re the first one that I’ve seen who has identified a very important problem with using only a cell phone, and even internet or land line phones! People MUST get and have available a simple old phone that doesn’t need any power supplied by the transformer or batteries. Just a phone that can operate off of the teleco provided service in the area. It’s no good if you can’t be called, you need a phone number assigned to you and dial tone to call out whenever there is an emergency.

Awesome idea, I will do this when we move to Florida! Thanks!

Old 05-16-2007, 10:26 AM

30,586 posts, read 28,259,121 times
Not just for Florida, but any part of the nation that has bad weather problems. I guess now most all of the country has emergency out of service periods of service due to bad weather. Denver has been hit with blizzards, Calif. hit with fires and earthquakes, Okla. and Kan. has been his with tornados, and Tex, Mo, N.J. etc get flooded. Where is a safe place to live?

Internet and phone service via the cable provider can and have failed at many homes because the cable providers have to have commercial power to several of their systems that are located out in the neighborhoods to help get the service to your house. Telco providers just do it with wire only to you via their central offices and they have battery and generator backup to their systems. Thus dial tone is almost 99.9% always there. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products