U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2009, 12:10 PM

12,172 posts, read 15,641,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
Seems like we need to step it up then. they are putting many small stores out of business.
Today you'll see a Dollar Store on one side of the street and a Dollar General open on the other side of the street. We finally have discount stores in rural poor areas where people can get more for their money, and you're actually worried about putting small stores out of business? Sorry, but the last thing I'd like to do is, go back to paying top dollar to the only store in town. The old mom and pop stores had a limited amount of inventory. Due to a low turn over they would keep foods on the shelf beyond expiration date.

Why are these small stores going out of business? Dollar stores are better marketers and merchandisers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 02:17 PM

4,788 posts, read 11,920,353 times
Small, inefficient retail outfits are not something I am worried about losing. Plus most dollar stores are franchises and it is likely owned by a local resident the same as the now out of business store was. Why punish this guy to save the other guy who wasn't as good at delivering his product?

Old 11-29-2009, 02:55 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,052,970 times
Quote:
How in the world can they make a cigarette lighter in china, transport it here, warehouse it, then retail it for a Dollar, and turn a profit. Are American goods really that overpriced?
Yes. It probably cost them 13 cents to make it....with 3 cents going towards the labor.

However, what we consider to be horrible factory jobs in China, apparently is feeding lots of people who are willing to work for these greedy companies who totally exploit them.

I feel guilty sometimes being willing to buy stuff for so cheap knowing full well we are financially supporting this whole concept. It feels wrong, but again, I guess they are glad to have some sort of work.....even if it totally sucks.

Old 11-29-2009, 04:31 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,133,354 times
Dollar Stores are good places to buy plastic flowers and paper holiday decorations.

But I wouldn't buy anything there I really wanted to use.

Or eat.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:18 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,024,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Today you'll see a Dollar Store on one side of the street and a Dollar General open on the other side of the street. We finally have discount stores in rural poor areas where people can get more for their money, and you're actually worried about putting small stores out of business? Sorry, but the last thing I'd like to do is, go back to paying top dollar to the only store in town. The old mom and pop stores had a limited amount of inventory. Due to a low turn over they would keep foods on the shelf beyond expiration date.

Why are these small stores going out of business? Dollar stores are better marketers and merchandisers.
You may think differently, if it were your Mom and Pop store. We don't charge to much, compared to what we have to pay for goods. They just pay less, do to the large volume they are able to purchase. So they are able to charge less. They purchase a whole container full of goods. I buy half a dozen. I don't get the same price they do. If I can't make 12% profit on an item, I can't stay in business. Trying to compete with the cheap stores, has made my profits drop from a fair 20 % profit, to around 12%. which is next to nothing.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:55 AM

Quote:
You may think differently, if it were your Mom and Pop store. We don't charge to much, compared to what we have to pay for goods. They just pay less, do to the large volume they are able to purchase. So they are able to charge less. They purchase a whole container full of goods. I buy half a dozen. I don't get the same price they do. If I can't make 12% profit on an item, I can't stay in business. Trying to compete with the cheap stores, has made my profits drop from a fair 20 % profit, to around 12%. which is next to nothing.
I'm a consumer, the reasons you give do not help my bottom line. Family Dollar stores take Ebit Cards, as a tax payer why would I want food stamp recipients to to pay a 12 to 20 percent mark up? Sorry about your dilemma, but the think Dollar Stores do a world of good for the rural poor.

As another poster mentioned, most of these dollar type stores are owned by a member of the community. They are employing locals outside of their own family and there is less of a chance they are paying anyone under the table.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:20 PM

As I tell my valued costumers, "if you want me to give service to your products, and to warranty what I sell, it would be a good idea if you support me, so that I can". It's works both ways, or should. I sell Service along with my products. People are free of course to shop where they please.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
As I tell my valued costumers, "if you want me to give service to your products, and to warranty what I sell, it would be a good idea if you support me, so that I can". It's works both ways, or should. I sell Service along with my products. People are free of course to shop where they please.
What do you have to offer, that a dollar store lacks? Do you offer free home delivery, can I run up a tab at your store?

Old 12-08-2009, 05:06 PM

7,653 posts, read 15,577,385 times
Quote:
Seems like we need to step it up then. they are putting many small stores out of business.
There are actually locally-owned dollar stores in the Duluth, MN area, I believe.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What do you have to offer, that a dollar store lacks? Do you offer free home delivery, can I run up a tab at your store?
I offer the "Best Roller Skates in the world"--- and then back that up, with a Lifetime warranty. --let's see em beat that for a dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products