U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:12 AM

3,790 posts, read 7,880,604 times

Advertisements

I need to start this rant by saying that my family has been shopping at Sears (not so much Kmart) for many years. My tools are Craftsman and I ride a large Craftsman garden tractor. Hell, two months ago we bought a new Kenmore washer/dryer set. Our son has had three sets of photos done at their portrait studio.

It's all OVER!!!

Here is my story. Yesterday, I did not get up at dawn to go fight in-store crowds. I kept hearing on how certain items will be the same price at online sites. I got up at around 7 or so and went to Sears.com to try and buy some jeans that were on sale for $9.99/pair. When I added them to the cart, it came up with this on the screen; "This item is not available in the Fit/Color/Waist Size/Inseam you have selected."

So I go back to the site today and the same brand, color, etc jeans are now $14.99/pair. For my sanity I added them to the cart to see if they were still "out of stock". NOPE!!! I added them just fine and it took me straight to checkout no problem.

My guess is that they sold ZERO pairs of those jeans for $9.99, in-store or online. They bait and switch. Not ONE person got those jeans on sale. Now here is the kicker. I read online how the front-loading washer/dryer set that was their big doorbuster for $579...many of the stores didn't even have them in stock in the store. When doors opened, people rushed for the washer/dryer set only to be told that they managers of Sears handed out tickets to people (sometimes only 2-3 tickets per store) as early as 2 AM, so if you got there at 4 AM and was first in the line for the washer/dryer...you were SOL!!! I have never seen so much garbage marketing in my life. At least they could have been discreet about it. Now I know why Sears is on their deathbed. I will NEVER spend another dime in Sears or Kmart for the rest of my life. Now I hope my garden tractor dies so I can get the Kubota I want.

BTW...I had no problem shopping online with Target and Amazon yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 AM

5,748 posts, read 8,343,292 times
They were talking about this on the news. It is a problem at all stores not just sears, and it shouldn't have been a shock. If you read the fine print on the door buster ads they all say something like minimum of 2/3 per store. Well that minimum should read only 2/3 per store. It's just a gimmick to get you in the door. I was at Sears yesterday, and they did have jeans for under 10$. Not sure if they were the ones you wanted, but they were there.

Old 11-28-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
They were talking about this on the news. It is a problem at all stores not just sears, and it shouldn't have been a shock. If you read the fine print on the door buster ads they all say something like minimum of 2/3 per store. Well that minimum should read only 2/3 per store. It's just a gimmick to get you in the door. I was at Sears yesterday, and they did have jeans for under 10$. Not sure if they were the ones you wanted, but they were there.
Funny how you couldn't get them online though. I understand the 2-3 per store, but where did it say you needed tickets? Is it a raffle?

At least make it not so obvious.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:38 AM

15,434 posts, read 27,907,749 times
Good grief. Such anger. Life is too short. Stores across the US are pulling stunts like this. If they (Sears and K-Mart) do fail it won't be because of this one thing; it will be for a multitude of other reasons. I enjoyed Black Friday at home in my comfortable surroundings, ordering online and having things delivered right to my doorstep. That way, when I do go out, it will be to enjoy the company of people, the lights and decorations, etc. Also, this isn't just a holiday thing. Ever try to go get the things in the drugstore ads on Sundays? Yea, I don't do that anymore either. The items are never in stock. I don't let that stuff bother me. I am just glad that we live in the US where shopping is still immensely better than other countries.

Old 11-28-2009, 11:48 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,116,437 times
K-mart is famous for not having there sale times in stock ands then not actaully gettting them when you have rain ticket. You usually have to go back;they didn't get it in then say you still want it at which time they order it. Sears has been a scam store for year.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:23 PM

I had no problem ordering online from Target and Amazon. I also looked at Walmart online and had no problems there. I know all stores do limited quantities on big items, but I found it funny with the jeans. Are you trying to tell me they sold out completely yesterday, had more made and shipped in today? Come on!!!

Old 11-28-2009, 01:40 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,473,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I had no problem ordering online from Target and Amazon. I also looked at Walmart online and had no problems there. I know all stores do limited quantities on big items, but I found it funny with the jeans. Are you trying to tell me they sold out completely yesterday, had more made and shipped in today? Come on!!!
It's been in the news for a couple of weeks now that stores have cut way back on their buying this year...Last year they may have had 100 pair of jeans in your size, this year they may have had only 10 pairs.

Old 11-28-2009, 01:44 PM

56,632 posts, read 75,704,617 times
interesting-- internet cheating?? in the stores several stores have had law suits here in town a few years back bek of consistent price differences on the tag vs the register. it was deliberate and never in favor of the client.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
It's been in the news for a couple of weeks now that stores have cut way back on their buying this year...Last year they may have had 100 pair of jeans in your size, this year they may have had only 10 pairs.
So they only had 10 pairs yesterday and today, all of a sudden, they are well stocked?

Old 11-28-2009, 08:50 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,900 times
Who cares how many $10.00 jeans Sears or K-Mart doesn't have?
WalMart has plenty of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products