U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 02:54 PM

11,614 posts, read 20,767,085 times

Advertisements

Maybe try spellcheck and some proofreading, no need to toss out the brand names you buy either. Simply state your problem and how you would like resolution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM

12,413 posts, read 18,370,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I ordered an Alfani leather jacket online on black Friday on Macy's.com. When the leather jacket was shipped to my home, I noticed that the wearhouse made a mistake and shipped me the wrong jacket. So, I visited my local Macy's store to exchange the Alfani leather jacket for another styled Alfani leather jacket that was in stock at the store.

When I tried to exchange the leather jacket, the manager told me that the upc code on the jacket that I was returning did not match the UPC code on the shipment label receipt, and that the jacket I was exchanging was coming up on the computer as not found and was less than price of shipment label's listed price.

So because of this discrepancy. The manager said that I had to return the jacket through the UPS mail, and that I couldn't exchange the leather jacket at her store.

I even asked the manager if she could call the customer service department so that we could resolve this issue faster since I really wanted this leather jacket, and she said that she couldn't call customer service herself because it would be better for me to do it as a customer in order to resolve the matter.

What I am upset about is the fact that, my ID and credit card that I used to purchase the jacket on line all matched. She even asked me if I had the credit card with me when I made the online purchase, and I said yes. She scanned my credit card to see if the leather jacket's upc code would come up as a recent purchase.

Since I came into the store to do an exchange without dealing with the hassle of mailing this jacket back to their wearhouse, I don't understand how overriding the jacket's information (that I was returning) was a problem since the UPC code on the shipment's label also matched the jacket that I wanted in the store, and it would make sense why the leather jacket I was returning would not match simply because the wearhouse just sent me the wrong jacket.

I felt like they were questioning my return as legitimate, an that I was there to get a more expensive jacket for the lesser price of the jacket that I was returning. One of the sales associates even looked at the jacket's label and your store's tickets to see if I were really returning your jacket.

To add insult to injury, the manager kept asking did I return that same jacket before because it was coming up as not found on their computer. I told her it would not come up on her computer if their wearhouse sent me the wrong jacket in the first place. The UPC code doesn't match because the wrong jacket with a different UPC code was shipped to my house.

I called their customer service department very heated and I spoke to a customer service rep, and she was very understanding and listened to my whole ordeal. She told me to leave a comment about my return experience.

I am now afraid to order anything from Macy's.com again especially if the wrong item may be shipped to my home with a different UPC code that's not matching the code on the shipment's label.

Has anyone had an experience like this with a wrong order shipped to your address with a receipt not matching the ticket's number?
Well, I work at Macys and I can tell you this. If you come in and return something and have no proof of purchase, then what do you expect us to do. I understand the warehouse sent you the wrong coat, but then you need to call them and resolve it. They were the one screwing up. I have people coming in and returning stuff like American Rag blue jeans but the ticket say -INC black slacks-.
As far as us working at Macy's we hear all the stories in the book.
Nowhere is there proof that you paid for this jacket. Your CC and your shipping label states you paid for a different jacket so as far a Macy's associate is concerned you are trying to get a free jacket.
I would have thought that you left the jacket on the shipping label at home, while bringing this one in, and exchange it for another one.

However, I believe your story but you need to ship the jacket back and take care of it at the warehouse. And they can refund your shipping too.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:30 AM

3,298 posts, read 5,357,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Well, I work at Macys and I can tell you this. If you come in and return something and have no proof of purchase, then what do you expect us to do. I understand the warehouse sent you the wrong coat, but then you need to call them and resolve it. They were the one screwing up. I have people coming in and returning stuff like American Rag blue jeans but the ticket say -INC black slacks-.
Nowhere is there proof that you paid for this jacket. Your CC and your shipping label states you paid for a different jacket so as far a Macy's associate is concerned you are trying to get a free jacket.
I would have thought that you left the jacket on the shipping label at home, while bringing this one in, and exchange it for another one.

However, I believe your story but you need to ship the jacket back and take care of it at the warehouse. And they can refund your shipping too.
Thank you for replying, and here's the problem though. If your wearhouse messes up, by not sending the correct item that I purchased, then in a sense the buyer, is sort of in a very messed up situation. The wearhouse could have thought the same thing about me just wanting to return a jacket that obviously I didn't get.

How would they know that the wrong jacket was sent to me as well? They would just have to take my word on it right? But if the return policy says that I can take that item, being wrong item, or the right item back to any Macy's,then your store should honor that policy.

What ever happened to just simple customer service? Plus the store manager could have easily resolved this matter by calling the wearhouse for me. I don't think that I should have had to do that. Had I been an employee there, and I have worked retail many many moons ago, I would have done that for my customer. That's all that I am saying. LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ALL ONLINE SHOPPERS. Macy's screwed up and I almost had to keep a jacket that I didn't order in the first place. Talking about low down dirty business.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,785,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloaf View Post
I ordered a blanket from Overstock once and was sent the wrong color. I sent it back and got a refund. Anything you buy online and have shipped has the ability to be returned....so just follow those instructions. If you like the jacket you saw at the store better, get it and just get a refund instead of an exchange from the online system.
You are lucky it was just the wrong color. I had a terrible experience with Overstock the one and only time I bought from them......it was several years ago....seems like I bought a cd or ipod player for my kid or something like that....it arrived broken.....I had a helluva time getting my money back from them.....and mailing it back was such a pain..... Because of this, I will never buy from Overstock again.....online ordering is supposed to save you the stress of getting dressed, going out, adding miles to your engine, burning gas, fighting crowds, yadda, yadda....this lemon experience was quite the opposite.

I do quite a bit of online ordering.....most of the time there is no problem at all..... Zappo's is the best company that I have ever dealt with..(Land's End comes in a close 2nd)...I am in the VIP program and get free shipping....it arrives in a day or two, (not kidding), and if the shoes don't fit, they supply a mailing label online, and I drop it off at any UPS shipping place or post office....no hassles at all.... And both, Zappo's and Land's End have very nice people on the other end of the telephones if you need help.

I feel badly for the op....nobody should have to go through all the stress that he did.... If one has the original box, paperwork that came in the box, the item is still in good shape and can be resold, there should be no hassle..... If the paperwork states that the item can be physically returned at any store, it should be honored...... If it was a Black Friday purchase, then it might have been a special purchase that the store doesn't normally carry, but that should have been taken into consideration and it all could have been handled with the manager calling the warehouse.... (i.e. when Nordstrom's has a yearly or semi-annual sale, they bring in all kinds of stuff that they don't normally carry and I have a feeling that the Black Friday purchase fell into this category)

I recently went to Wells Fargo to make a deposit.....I roll coins for the most part but if I have a couple leftover bucks in change, I put it in a baggie and include it in the deposit..... The teller tried to refuse the loose change.....how ridiculous! (It wasn't like I was handing over 49 pennies or 19 nickels! It was probably 5 quarters and 5 dimes or something along that line!) I said, "This is a bank, I am making a deposit, where is the MANAGER?" I guess I am getting old and don't want to mess around anymore.....the deposit was immediately accepted. After a few minutes of hassle at Macy's, I think I would have demanded to talk to the store manager. Sadly, a few creeps who have tried to return things that weren't purchased at Macy's have spoiled it for everybody.....

Last edited by Wurzig; 12-31-2009 at 02:50 AM.. Reason: corrected a typo

Old 12-31-2009, 02:46 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,785,772 times

Working retail is not easy....you could probably write a book using all your experiences. It used to be that the 'customer is always right'...dishonest people ruin it for everybody.....

Old 12-31-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post

Working retail is not easy....you could probably write a book using all your experiences. It used to be that the 'customer is always right'...dishonest people ruin it for everybody.....
Unfortunately, dishonest people do ruin it for everybody, but people who are honest shouldn't have to suffer at the expense of a wearhouse employee's mistake. That's all that I am saying--especially when it's a higher end store that is supposedly in the business for people who can afford to spend more for their brands.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:41 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,681,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcatheart View Post
U bought it on their online store so I see no problem with having to return it to their online store. If the store had it in stock, why did you even buy it online?

BINGO!

Return it to where you bought it

Many posters brag they buy everything online and don't set foot in a store.
But when things go wrong, they want the store to correct their problems.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:44 PM

19,899 posts, read 16,136,882 times
Bottom Line is that they don't give a hoot about ''CUSTOMER SERVICE" i order things online all the time, and do return back to stores such as WAL-MART J.C. PENNEY'S TARGET K-MART and never have had a problem ever. And KOHL'S. Although KOHL'S will do an excnange, or store credit no problem. I always check fraud online and consumer complaints, to see what is going on in the stores, all stores before i buy fruniture, i also check those sites out. Thank you a lot, because i don't think there prices are that great anyways. I love A J.C. PENNEY'S Sale, they are wonderful, and boy you can get some nice things, i always buy there, they are always having a sale, and take returns back, even if your order online, with your receipt.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:29 PM

614 posts, read 1,062,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
BINGO!

I agree. So many people brag about what a convenience on line shopping is where they don't have to 'leave their house' to buy products. But when there is a problem, they have 'no problem' with 'leaving their house' to go to the brick and mortar store to return or exchange. Well, if they would have done that the first place in their purchase, there wouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

The way I see it is(right or wrong), people want the 'usually' cheaper prices on line but when they don't get what they want or expect, then it's the brick and mortar store's fault.

Well, now was that saving worth the head ache?

Old 01-08-2010, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
BINGO!

In my case, I wanted the store to correct the problem since I purchased the item as a convenience on line, instead of having to deal with the Christmas crowds. So in my case, the store's online receipt said that I could return the item to ANY store FOR ANY REASON. My reason was that they sent me the wrong jacket, that I didn't order in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products