U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 03:02 PM

17 posts, read 98,641 times

Advertisements

Does Macy's have an official policy regarding returning/rebuying? As I understand it, they have a 10-day price adjustment period. I bought a coat a couple weeks ago but I was 4 days over the adjustment period. I happened to be at the mall shopping with a friend and asked a Macy's employee if I would be able to return the coat and rebuy it at the lower price. She said that would be no problem. I went home to pick up the coat and before making the trek back, I called customer service to ask the same question to make sure. I was told the same thing - that I could do that.

When I got back to Macy's, the girl I had spoken with was no longer there. I got to the register and returned the item. Then I asked to rebuy the coat. The associate immediately snapped at me, which caught me off guard, telling me that wasn't allowed. I explained to her that I had asked if this would be okay and was told yes. She again snapped at me saying they were wrong and I couldn't do that. Then she turned her back on me, refused to look at me and began sorting through clothes on the counter. I became infuriated at her lack of professionalism but just grit my teeth b/c I know manners will get you farther than yelling (or so I thought). I asked that if it was against policy to return/rebuy on the same account, could I at least rebuy the item on a non-Macy's credit card? Without looking at me, she said, "No." My friend, who was with me at the register, offered to buy the coat on her charge card (different customer/account entirely) and the associate said curtly that if she wanted the coat, she'd have to wait until it was put back out until she could buy it. Then she walked away, with the returned coat, leaving my friend and I behind angry and bewildered.

Never in all my years of shopping had I ever encountered such rudeness from an employee. Indifference yes, but not quite the hostility this associate showed. I understand if it's against policy but I thought I'd done my homework and was told otherwise prior to the actual transaction. To find out after I returned the coat that it was more up to the whim of the associate was frustrating, resulting in the loss of an item I wanted. But again, I get that there are policies employees must follow. What I found appalling was this associate's behavior. Maybe she was having a bad day, but I don't think a bad day is reason enough to walk away from a customer who is trying to talk with you.

I know there are probably tons of people here who are in retail and know all the heartache employees have to endure. I was just shocked at the way this situation was handled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 PM

32,531 posts, read 31,235,249 times
Whatever happened to Customer Service? I feel for you.

I just put a new filter in our heater/air conditioner. Up in the cieling filter. Didn't fit. Even with a hammer to tap in the edges didn't fit. Had to take off the cardboard on three sides to get it to fit.

I wrote a very nice email to 3M to tell them. They sent me back an email basically telling me I was an idiot because they don't make mistakes.

Sheesh.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:26 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
I know there ois a probelm that has made many stores ebcome tighter on returns. Wal-mart for example use to give you the oeny back on a return where you had a receipt or not. talking to a manager they found that peopelwhere stealig thinsg the returning for cash.That stopped that. They alos have people trying all the time to return things they did npot but at their store he said for convenience.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:26 PM

3,298 posts, read 5,357,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Whatever happened to Customer Service? I feel for you.

I just put a new filter in our heater/air conditioner. Up in the cieling filter. Didn't fit. Even with a hammer to tap in the edges didn't fit. Had to take off the cardboard on three sides to get it to fit.

I wrote a very nice email to 3M to tell them. They sent me back an email basically telling me I was an idiot because they don't make mistakes.

Sheesh.
That happened to me when I ordered some blinds for my house. The company's website clearly said measure the entire length and width of the window, and they would do the exact measurements automatically in order to make the blinds for my window. Well when the blinds came to my house, they were the exact measurement that I gave them, which meant that they were too big to fit inside of the window's frame.

The customer service agent was speaking to me like I was an idiot, and I had to tell her that I have measured and bought blinds before, and her company was the only one who requires customers to give the exact measurement of the entire window without taking into consideration the frame that they blinds need to find in. Any way, I sent those blinds back, and they cut them or resized them to fit my window.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:24 AM

24,326 posts, read 33,567,836 times
I had a good experience returning something at Old Navy the other day; I bought a dress on OldNavy.com and when it arrived I did not care for the way it looked on me; nothing else wrong with it. So I packed it back into the little baggie it came in, stuck the receipt in with it, and took it to an Old Navy store a few days later. They charged it back to my card with no problems and gave me back my receipt in case there was an issue with anything else on the order (there isn't). Then I bought items that totaled the exact same amount, hehe.

It's not all terrible out there. Also, OldNavy.com's return policy clearly states that items can be returned either via mail or to a store.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I had a good experience returning something at Old Navy the other day; I bought a dress on OldNavy.com and when it arrived I did not care for the way it looked on me; nothing else wrong with it. So I packed it back into the little baggie it came in, stuck the receipt in with it, and took it to an Old Navy store a few days later. They charged it back to my card with no problems and gave me back my receipt in case there was an issue with anything else on the order (there isn't). Then I bought items that totaled the exact same amount, hehe.

It's not all terrible out there. Also, OldNavy.com's return policy clearly states that items can be returned either via mail or to a store.
Macy's receipt says the same thing regarding returns.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 PM

24,326 posts, read 33,567,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Macy's receipt says the same thing regarding returns.
That may be but we all know how some stores don't honor their return policies; Old Navy did in this case. Yay for them!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,843 times
I always have bad experienced with macys years to years. I even canel their credit card. They have good sales and nice things but I hate macy's customer service. Walking into Nordstrom is like heaven and Macys is like hell to me Doesn't matter what their policy said in returns of online orders. The store service don't care, people are naughty, rude, disrespect whoever returns stuff, stuck up to those who buy stuff. It's awful. Judge the book by it's covers never stop. I only go in there to look around but hate the environment.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyshopper View Post
I always have bad experienced with macys years to years. I even canel their credit card. They have good sales and nice things but I hate macy's customer service. Walking into Nordstrom is like heaven and Macys is like hell to me Doesn't matter what their policy said in returns of online orders. The store service don't care, people are naughty, rude, disrespect whoever returns stuff, stuck up to those who buy stuff. It's awful. Judge the book by it's covers never stop. I only go in there to look around but hate the environment.
Has Macy's improved on their return policy? I know my wife goes there to buy their Mac makeup. She hasn't told me of any bad experiences buying make up.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:05 PM

804 posts, read 1,407,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Has Macy's improved on their return policy? I know my wife goes there to buy their Mac makeup. She hasn't told me of any bad experiences buying make up.
wow, this thread goes back, so was your issue ever resolved? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products