U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM

19,129 posts, read 19,976,119 times

Advertisements

Sure would like to have some Wal Mart stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,029,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichele View Post
It think it's other stores dropping prices plus the whole hard business practices that I have heard about Wal-mart. Companies were basically paying out of their ears just to have their items sold in Wal-mart.

That's why we now have higher prices and not much stock.
I think you're on to something. That may be why Walmart doesn't stock 'normal' sized products anymore.....the manufacturers may have stopped underselling to Walmart and now only offers the larger sizes at a better price.

Just even buying Dawn dishwashing liquid...Walmart doesn't sell the regular bottle...only the bigger ones that of course, cost more.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:49 AM

3,160 posts, read 8,215,311 times
They don't seem to be having trouble that I've seen- always extremely crowded and they still tend to be lower than the grocery store and Target.

I think the rumors of decline are greatly exaggerated.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:43 AM

19,849 posts, read 17,926,126 times
I've been hearing some really bad Target commercials on the radio. This somewhat hyper and anxious woman is pushing her kids and friends to open their gifts right away because she got such great items at Target and is such a great shopper. I couldn't imagine having to deal with a screwball like that and it totally ignored the true meaning of Christmas. A really bad commerical campaign.
As for Wal Mart declining, I think thats wishful thinking. Their sales are still leading the retail market, they have groceries now and have expanded about as far as they care to, except in urban areas due to labor issues( unions). Any weakness you might see is indicative of an overall weakness in the economy.
I price shop and Wal mart has lower prices than my usual grocery store but not by a whole lot. I buy some things at wal mart if my store doesn't carry them, but I pick and choose. Wal mart has a better bakery, but I won't buy any meat at Wal mart. And I can shop at 3 or 4 grocery stores in my area. Anyway, I'd never buy any clothing at either Wal Mart or Target.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:03 AM

42,837 posts, read 79,840,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Have you heard? Walmart is in the beginning stages of decline. Many will say it's already happened.

After hearing this on the news, I wanted to check for myself...
I made some calls to friends and family scattered across the US.

They've noticed it as well.

Walmart isn't the least expensive on products anymore. We all thought they were as their business model suggests (buying from the manufacturer at a lower cost to be able to sell it for a lower cost)

Besides all the internal problems they are having, it seems now the consumer is discovering it as well.

I went to Walmart w/ my list and then another store and sure enough...Walmart was priced higher than even the regular shelf price. Plus, the stores here are notorious for scanning items higher than the shelf tag. Poor customer service, poor quality of many of their items....
But in all conversations- size is mentioned. It's almost like a warehouse club....get the flu once a year? Can't get your meds at Walmart- they only carry 40 quantity otc meds...who needs 40? 2-3 days worth is all that's needed and then it expires before the next year arrives. (this was said by someone in Maryland)

Anyone else seeing this? It very well could be a regional thing but up and down the east coast and out to AZ- many are starting to switch back to their old grocery stores and Kmart or Target.
I've noticed this quite a few years ago. Before I was going there in order to stretch the dollar, but I no longer think it's worth it and since it's never been an enjoyable trip, I skip it altogether. Same goes for Kmart. For some reason Kmart depresses me even more.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:17 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,249,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
Ninja, my husband and I have been complaining for weeks about the run of ridiculous Wal-Mart commercials. They seem to run over and over again and make up a bulk of the commercials I see. Doesn't matter to me. My family does not shop at Wal-Mart. We go to Target, or grocery stores for groceries, hardware stores for tools, etc. I'd never buy food from Wal-Mart. I don't buy anything knowing that their vendors have no choice but to provide merchandise at no profit in order to keep afloat. And the way Wal-Mart treats their employees is wrong. I also refuse to shop at Walgreens and Sam's Club.
I am SICK of the commercials. Bleh.

I do a lot of my grocery shopping there because many of the same items are more expensive at other grocery stores.
Once I have more disposable income, I'll shop at other stores for my groceries.

I know Wal-Mart doesn't ALWAYS have the lowest prices but I'm not about to drive all over town trying to pick up a few items here and there unless there is a DRASTIC difference in price.

Why do you refuse to shop at Walgreen's? I don't shop there a lot because they seem pretty expensive compared to other places.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:32 AM

418 posts, read 961,048 times
The meat at Wal-Mart is terrible. What is that glaze they put on all their meats? Other than that the " Great Value " stuff is still a bargain.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:21 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,052,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Sure would like to have some Wal Mart stock.
Gosh....me too! I could be retiring WAY early!!

Old 12-19-2009, 05:56 AM

2,480 posts, read 2,910,352 times
Exclamation Save Money Live Better? Liars!

I went grocery shopping at my local stores yesterday.

I live in Elephant Butte New Mexico and my local Walmart is only minutes away in a city named Truth or Consequences. This store is fairly new, it opened in August 2008.

I had their ad which I received when purchasing my local newspaper.

I wonder, since not reading this entire thread if anyone else besides myself is almost completely dissatisfied with the way Walmart does business.

In this ad, they advertised Cook's spiral sliced ham for $ 1.58 a pound, which I think is not too shabby of a deal, since I only have one other grocer to pick from in my area. Other than that, it is a 70+ mile drive to the next nearest Walmart, or other grocery store.

Well, big disappointment. No ham whatsoever of any kind or type, no hams in stock at all. And, ladies and gentlemen of the forum, if you think I'm whining, I am a bit. This is not the first time I've been to this new store and found them to be out of stock on even basic items like coffee filters, certain kinds of dog snacks, and other items which were advertised, but not available or in stock.

Moderator cut: language removed

Another thing that ticks me about Walmart is that they train their employees to ask customers certain question. e.g. did you find everything you were looking for today?

And, if you didn't find what you were looking for, do they really, really care?

Yeap, the rise and fall of Walmart. Is it any wonder why?
Attached Thumbnails
The Rise and Fall of Wal-Mart-ham.jpg  

Last edited by nancy thereader; 12-19-2009 at 11:58 AM..

Old 12-22-2009, 09:43 AM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
My two local wal-marts still are much lowwer priced than the grocery stores and much lower than target for sure.They alos seem to be setting record sales according to local sales tax records. I alos liie how the3y have redone there stores inside now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products