U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:52 PM

15,566 posts, read 36,935,120 times

Advertisements

We have a new store here in the Coachella Valley called "WinCo". My husband and I went a couple of days ago to check it out and the prices are definitely lower than Walmart ... and they have a lot of upscale products and brands that WalMart doesn't have. I just thought it was a regular grocery store, but our friends who've already been there had been telling us we really needed to go check it out. We found a new store to shop and we really like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 09:31 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,787,129 times
I think it's like any other store......you have to know your prices......and you have to look for deals and stock up. Also, if somebody else is offering double coupons, you have to figure that in, too, so sometimes Wally is not the cheapest when all is considered...it's almost like you have to be a professional shopper nowadays in order to figure out the best deal... I don't see our local Wal Mart in Laguna Niguel slowing down at all....it's always busy....it's not a super store though..... California has really fought the super store stores.....too many grocery unions.....

One thing that is annoying is that too many stock clerks barely speak English...Wal Mart is definitely an EOE....this is in Target, too.... They try their best to help you, (when you can find a clerk, that is), but I don't think that it should be my job to be bilingual in order to be a cusomer in a store....any store.....I speak enough Spanish to get by, but sometimes the clerks are not of Latin descent. I've traveled extensively outside of the USA and as frustrating as it might have been, I never felt that a clerk should speak my language.... Aside from using body language, I've brought many a dictionary into foreign stores and restaurants in order to ask for help when I didn't speak the language.... Anyway, maybe customers are put off by not being able to get help from a person that they can understand.... (okay, getting off foreign language soapbox now)....

With free enterprise, Wally World has definitely known what it was doing.....they have driven a lot of little guys out, but maybe if the little guys hadn't been so expensive in the first place they'd still be in business.....

A few years back, I took the Target ad in a couple of times, (because they meet or beat prices), and they were always a few cents cheaper on everything that I wanted...

When Sam Walton was alive, it was different.....they had that commecial, 'everything made in the USA', (or whatever the wording), and it was......now it's made in the USA and everywhere else overseas....

The price of survival has gone up everywhere.....sadly, Wal Mart is no exception to the rule.....

Last edited by Wurzig; 12-22-2009 at 09:40 PM..

Old 12-22-2009, 09:32 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,787,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
We have a new store here in the Coachella Valley called "WinCo". My husband and I went a couple of days ago to check it out and the prices are definitely lower than Walmart ... and they have a lot of upscale products and brands that WalMart doesn't have. I just thought it was a regular grocery store, but our friends who've already been there had been telling us we really needed to go check it out. We found a new store to shop and we really like it.
I wonder if they are a subsidiary of Winn Dixie in the south?

Old 12-23-2009, 08:42 AM

24,337 posts, read 33,586,102 times
I used to live near a Wal-Mart SuperCenter and I found their produce and meat to be almost universally of poor quality. The place was laid out badly, the parking lot was a zoo, and the employees were incredibly rude and surly...if they spoke English at all, which many did not.

I moved this summer to a different part of town and the nearest Wal-Mart that is not a "Neighborhood" Wal-Mart is many miles away. Target, Tom Thumb, Kroger, and Sprouts are all much closer. I read all the sales fliers online before I go shopping and plan my route. Sometimes I hit all four stores on the same day to buy groceries so I get the lowest price on everything on my list. I know in my head how much basics like coffee filters cost at each store so I buy them where they are cheapest.

Sprouts is best overall for produce in terms of price vs quality but the quality of Tom Thumb's produce is a bit higher overall though it is much more expensive, Kroger is cheapest for frozen foods and dairy products, and Kroger sometimes has amazing sales where I stock up on pantry items and frozen foods.

Wal-Mart is sometimes cheaper than all of these places on certain items but I would rather pay a few cents more for a package of coffee filters or a 30lb bag of cat litter than drive miles out of my way just to be treated badly and navigate a parking lot that is half-full of uninsured drivers. I assume they are uninsured since most of them have forged registration stickers.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:22 PM

19,141 posts, read 19,984,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I wonder if they are a subsidiary of Winn Dixie in the south?
I don;t think so.

WinCo Foods - Our History

Old 12-23-2009, 08:04 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,465,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

Walmart isn't the least expensive on products anymore. We all thought they were as their business model suggests (buying from the manufacturer at a lower cost to be able to sell it for a lower cost)

I went to Walmart w/ my list and then another store and sure enough...Walmart was priced higher than even the regular shelf price. .

But I believe this strategy is very much a part of Walmart's business plan? After saturating an area with stores and putting the competition out of business, they raise their prices and reduce the product selection and customer service. But by then you have few other shopping alternatives and Walmart *gocha*. You and your money.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 PM

5,374 posts, read 11,284,151 times
If you shop at Walmart, and you walk past the first 30 feet to buy anything, you are a sucker and a half.

They stock a certain way, and that is how they *get you* .....

Old 12-24-2009, 10:21 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,112,385 times
Here I'm seeing low product selections now with their white lable crap and this sits next to a few of the highest priced products of the same kind. They have stopped carrying the medium priced ranges.
They have also got alot of open shelf space with nothing there.
I have started going to all the food stores again and I just pick up products that I would normally buy at wallyworld as I am at the other stores. It's walmarts loss.
The other posters are right with walmart having mispriced or overpriced ring outs at the register. And all hell breaks out if there is NO bar code lable for the cashier to scan. They sure won't take the customers word for the price.
Their other products are really turning out to be cheap chinese crap, from clothes to household products.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 PM

207 posts, read 600,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
I am SICK of the commercials. Bleh.

I do a lot of my grocery shopping there because many of the same items are more expensive at other grocery stores.
Once I have more disposable income, I'll shop at other stores for my groceries.

I know Wal-Mart doesn't ALWAYS have the lowest prices but I'm not about to drive all over town trying to pick up a few items here and there unless there is a DRASTIC difference in price.

Why do you refuse to shop at Walgreen's? I don't shop there a lot because they seem pretty expensive compared to other places.
I somehow think that there is a theory in the advertising industry that a certain segment of the population are so 'dumbed-down' by either prescription drugs or mass-media that they will subconsciously obey what commercials tell them to do no matter how stupid they are. They have been programmed.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 PM

56,631 posts, read 75,704,617 times
wishful thinking and i wish too it were so.
godzilla will be here as long as we keep quick draw that visa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products