U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 03:23 PM

22,779 posts, read 26,638,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Have you heard? Walmart is in the beginning stages of decline. Many will say it's already happened.

After hearing this on the news, I wanted to check for myself...
I made some calls to friends and family scattered across the US.

They've noticed it as well.

Walmart isn't the least expensive on products anymore. We all thought they were as their business model suggests (buying from the manufacturer at a lower cost to be able to sell it for a lower cost)

Besides all the internal problems they are having, it seems now the consumer is discovering it as well.

I went to Walmart w/ my list and then another store and sure enough...Walmart was priced higher than even the regular shelf price. Plus, the stores here are notorious for scanning items higher than the shelf tag. Poor customer service, poor quality of many of their items....
But in all conversations- size is mentioned. It's almost like a warehouse club....get the flu once a year? Can't get your meds at Walmart- they only carry 40 quantity otc meds...who needs 40? 2-3 days worth is all that's needed and then it expires before the next year arrives. (this was said by someone in Maryland)

Anyone else seeing this? It very well could be a regional thing but up and down the east coast and out to AZ- many are starting to switch back to their old grocery stores and Kmart or Target.

I'm confused. Do your friends and relatives work for Wal-Mart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 06:19 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,798,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Do you know of Walmart building a store and not opening cuz they couldn't find applicants?
I don't remember that being the issue here.

Quote:
And Walmart is located nearly everywhere.
You are saying poor people are only located in certain areas of Tennessee and Alabama?

Old 12-28-2009, 06:21 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,798,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
They do offer benefits and vacations.
For the people they hire over 40 hours a week.

last time I checked, they strongly urged people to work >39.

That was one of the issues. Great to offer benefits, even better to give them to people.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 AM

9,807 posts, read 13,682,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Same said of GM early to mid 2000s....and look at them now.

What fall? I guess some would argue GM didn't fall.

Don't like the GM store, don't shop there. People didn't.
If the store is doing well, they won't notice your absence.

Well, I think GM did notice it.

And since the fall of GM began in the early 2000s and it took them 7 years to hit the pavement, Walmarts fall has begun...so they should hit the pavement around 2017...if they are anything like GM. (which they aren't but hopefully corporations don't fall in a day...they take years)

Let's use the GM analogy.

If Walmart is GM, they would be in trouible when they lost business to a competitor selling goods that people percieved were better at a competitive price.

The competitor would also need to have the following advantages over Walmart ( using the GM analogy)

#1------much llower wages than Walmart
#2------much lower benefits than Walmart
#3------not be saddled with huge obligations of generous retirement obligations

Remember-------#1,2,and 3 are the biggest advantages foreign car companies had over GM

Not gonna happen with Walmart as most posters here are crying about the low wages and non-existant benefits.

So, comparing the fall of GM to the wishfull thinking fall of Walmart is totally absurd !

and yes, VegasGrace is the OP of this thread.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:28 PM

40,554 posts, read 24,887,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
For the people they hire over 40 hours a week.

last time I checked, they strongly urged people to work >39.

That was one of the issues. Great to offer benefits, even better to give them to people.
Wrong.

Profit sharing and employee discounts were always offered to EVERY employee. And some of those >39 cashiers from the 1970's retired as millionaires.

Walmartstores.com: Benefits

Old 12-30-2009, 02:23 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
I thnik in teh end qwal-mart isn't for evryone and target isn't for everyone. To each his own but Wal-mart isn't going anywhere from what I see.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:30 PM

12,636 posts, read 7,035,690 times
I needed a small electric heater, all the giant Walmart had was Sunbeam brand. Boxes and boxes of Sunbeam, nothing else. I wasn't being picky about the brand but would expect some selection at the Superstore. I went elsewhere and looked through the different brands and chose one that I'm familiar with and that Walmart used to carry. I also overheard a clerk telling a customer that they no longer sell a certain brand of plus size clothing that they have sold for years. There is something going on here and I will be shopping less at Walmart.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:31 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,264,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
Ninja, my husband and I have been complaining for weeks about the run of ridiculous Wal-Mart commercials. They seem to run over and over again and make up a bulk of the commercials I see. Doesn't matter to me. My family does not shop at Wal-Mart. We go to Target, or grocery stores for groceries, hardware stores for tools, etc. I'd never buy food from Wal-Mart. I don't buy anything knowing that their vendors have no choice but to provide merchandise at no profit in order to keep afloat. And the way Wal-Mart treats their employees is wrong. I also refuse to shop at Walgreens and Sam's Club.

Makes me wonder... since you go out of your way to let others know you NEVER shop at a Walmart.... why you opened a thread and took time out of your day to post in a thread about the place. If you have nothing to do with Walmart... it IS okay to skip over threads about them, since you really have nothing to add to the conversation except trying to make yourself feel superior because you don't shop at one.

I shop at Walmart all the time and my closest one is 40 miles one-way; 80 mile round trip. We have a Kmart 4 miles away. Kmart is like a ghetto store around here. Not only is their customer service lacking, but they honestly NEVER have what you'd be looking for and when questioned about it, the employees make up elaborate lies as to why they don't have an item.

The Super WalMart we shop at rocks!

Old 12-31-2009, 03:39 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,264,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Wrong.

Profit sharing and employee discounts were always offered to EVERY employee. And some of those >39 cashiers from the 1970's retired as millionaires.

Walmartstores.com: Benefits

You'll never convince people who have bought into the "evilness of Walmart", who then go and simply regurgitate the incorrect info they've heard (instead for finding things out for themselves) and then flap their gums about how evil Walmart is and repeat the false info while at the same time getting up on their high pedestal and proclaiming how they never shop at Walmart.. that what they believe, isn't true. No matter where the source of the truth comes from or not. Surprised Michael Moore hasn't made a movie about the big, bad evil Walmart for these people to start referencing.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:01 PM

8,264 posts, read 18,718,318 times
I recently moved to coastal California and Walmart (and most "big box" stores ) are prohibited here. I really miss shopping there. You cannot beat their prices for cat food and detergents and all. There really are no similiar stores here.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products