Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 08:10 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
...You cannot beat their prices for cat food and detergents and all...
Not always true.
Friskies Cat Food is .50 a can at WalMart.
It's .65 at our local IGA.
But it's .49 a can at our local Swanson's Grocery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 08:51 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
I have noticed that in some places Walmart has become it's own competition. Their big box monstrosities have run off most of the other smaller retailers with their mercenary tactics and they have saturated the area with so many of their units..one every 10 miles or so. Sad thing is, once everyone is shopping at Walmart, like at the proverbial mining company store, a closed Walmart leaves a huge void for consumers and employees alike.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----- 'how badly they treat their workers "--

Many of those workers came to Walmart cuz the wages they now make are better than the wages they were getting.

Yes, some of them even were employees of other stores in that town who didn't want to see Walmart come in.

If Walmart was a factory-yes------I would say their wages to employees are low

Since Walmart is a retail store, many workers came to Walmart cuz it was better than the small retail store they worked at.

Seems, years back, nobody complained about the low wages the small town store owner paid his employees. Nobody complained that the small town store owner had a nice house, new car, put all his kids thru college, yet paid his workers a low salary.

So low, that many headed to Walmart when they started accepting applications.

Why is that ?

Last year, I walked into my local Chicagoland bakery. The lady who has served me for years told me that she was leaving the store and that this was her last day.

Well, where are you working?

"I will be working at the local Walmart Supermarket."

Why there?

Her voice got real quiet and she said, "They offered me the bakery supervisor job at the new store. I will be making $2/ hour MORE than this bakery and for the first time in nearly twenty years, I will be receiving MEDICAL insurance benefits."

Obviously, SHE did not think that the Walmart wages and benefits were all that bad.

Old 01-01-2010, 02:42 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
You'll never convince people who have bought into the "evilness of Walmart", who then go and simply regurgitate the incorrect info they've heard (instead for finding things out for themselves) and then flap their gums about how evil Walmart is and repeat the false info while at the same time getting up on their high pedestal and proclaiming how they never shop at Walmart.. that what they believe, isn't true. No matter where the source of the truth comes from or not. Surprised Michael Moore hasn't made a movie about the big, bad evil Walmart for these people to start referencing.

If you look at about 90% of the anti-WalMart material, it is bought and paid for by the United Food and Commercial Workers Unions which has been trying for years to organize WalMart employees (whether they want it or not).

Their last major attack was in the 90s against Food Lion. That campaign failed and was discredited when two ABC "reporters" filmed themselves relabeling outdated meats "at the direction" of Food Lion management. Food Lios's parent sued ABC and won a settlement in court.

All I know is that Jewel was selling eggs in my town for $1.99 before Aldi and WalMart showed up in town EVEN THOUGH they were selling them down in the next town for $1.19. Now they are usually $1.09. Whether I shop at WalMart or not, they keep the grocery chains honest with tehir pricing.

Old 01-03-2010, 10:37 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I think you're on to something. That may be why Walmart doesn't stock 'normal' sized products anymore.....the manufacturers may have stopped underselling to Walmart and now only offers the larger sizes at a better price.

Just even buying Dawn dishwashing liquid...Walmart doesn't sell the regular bottle...only the bigger ones that of course, cost more.

My California Walmart Super Center carries all regular size bottles, and the larger ones, guess it depends on where you shop and what State Wal-mart is in. They actually have some grocery items, that i don't see at RALPHS OR ALBERTSONS, they have a ground Italian sasuage with peppers and onions, i cannot find only they carry it. I tend to shop where i find a deal, on what i need. Love our new SMART AND FINAL It is huge, love SAMS AND COSTCO. I think that most of the Wal-mart's here in Calif, are doing quite well.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
Not always true.
Friskies Cat Food is .50 a can at WalMart.
It's .65 at our local IGA.
But it's .49 a can at our local Swanson's Grocery.
Friskies cat food is 47 cents a can where I live. And the Wal-Mart brand is 37 cents a can. Every once in a while a local grocery will have a sale, and have a lower price, but generally speaking, Wal-Mart dependably has the lowest prices.

That said, Wal-Mart has been cutting way back on its selection, and a lot of people, including myself, are not thrilled and are shopping elsewhere more and more often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products