Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 03:01 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
----- 'how badly they treat their workers "--

Many of those workers came to Walmart cuz the wages they now make are better than the wages they were getting.

Yes, some of them even were employees of other stores in that town who didn't want to see Walmart come in.

If Walmart was a factory-yes------I would say their wages to employees are low

Since Walmart is a retail store, many workers came to Walmart cuz it was better than the small retail store they worked at.

Seems, years back, nobody complained about the low wages the small town store owner paid his employees. Nobody complained that the small town store owner had a nice house, new car, put all his kids thru college, yet paid his workers a low salary.

So low, that many headed to Walmart when they started accepting applications.

Why is that ?
Because WalMart is a draw store. They find a good, cheap location to start up in, pay their workers squat, and draw buisness away not just from the guy next door.

So just because people got treated badly elsewhere, that gives them the right yto do the same nation wide?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 03:28 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Strange, the Walmart close to me built in a area with no commercial shopping for miles in any direction. Now there are grocery store, drug stores, banks, restaurants and many other stores that serve the folks that had to drive quite a distance to shop.

Walmart in this case drew business around them.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:36 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
For those interested in a little schadenfreude, the story of Wal-Mart's abysmal failure in Germany is worth looking into. Wal-Mart waltzed in with what they thought was a world-beating business model, and they were soundly spanked before selling their stores at a loss. So bad was their failure, it's cited in textbooks as an example of what not to do.

The list is long, but a few highlights:

• The first CEO spoke no German and had no interest in learning the language - instead, he literally adopted a "let them learn English" policy and made English the official management language of Wal-Mart Germany. The senior German managers didn't take this too well. To make matters worse, the CEO also ignored their advice on the complex German laws and German corporate culture.
  • The second CEO - ehm - didn't speak any German, either. He preferred to run things from London.
  • German workers aren't meek about demanding their rights, German worker protection law is very thorough and their unions have teeth. Wal-Mart had no idea on how to handle that and lost any number of cases on worker's rights. Oh, and good luck getting a German to do a workplace cheer routine.
  • Wal-Mart expected widespread concession from its suppliers because, hey, they were Wal-Mart. The European suppliers saw no reason to accomodate them - and didn't.
  • German customers hated Wal-Mart's service model. The over-eager "Can I help you?" store worker is intrusive to the average German. The baggers were disliked, as well - "I just bought that, please don't touch my merchandise!". Besides, Germans bring their own reusable bags.
  • Wal-Mart appeared to be basically ignorant of German laws on opening hours, price setting and other intricacies - and senior management ignored advice from Germans with lower rank, but more experience. Their competitors had a field day reporting transgressions, and their German middle managers ran off as fast as possible.
It was pretty much a shambles, and the losses were in the billions.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:44 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,191,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Because WalMart is a draw store. They find a good, cheap location to start up in, pay their workers squat, and draw buisness away not just from the guy next door.

So just because people got treated badly elsewhere, that gives them the right yto do the same nation wide?

----"pay their workers squat, "---

And other retail stores pay their workers more ?

When a new Walmart Supercenter opened in our area they were flooded with applications.

I doubt those people were quitting better paying jobs to apply at Walmart.

I'll bet everyone of those applicants hoped they would get hired cuz they would be earning more money after they were hired than they were earning when they applied.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:34 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,126,522 times
Quote:
----"pay their workers squat, "---

And other retail stores pay their workers more ?
Shop Rite does.

Quote:
When a new Walmart Supercenter opened in our area they were flooded with applications.
i feel sorry for them.

Quote:
I doubt those people were quitting better paying jobs to apply at Walmart.
I doubt most were quitting any job to take a job at Wal Mart.

Quote:
I'll bet everyone of those applicants hoped they would get hired cuz they would be earning more money after they were hired than they were earning when they applied.
I do not think that is why they did it "cuz" that simply does not make any sense. Do you have any links to the numbers? What city was this in Mar? Who were the primary applicants to the store? What was their salary? (They do not offer benefits or vacation, so your area must be the bottom or starved for work if they jumped at Wal Mart. That is why they chose to open there! Cheap labor banging on the door).

How long have you been working there?

Old 12-27-2009, 10:08 PM

I don't work there.

Do you know of Walmart building a store and not opening cuz they couldn't find applicants?

And Walmart is located nearly everywhere.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:33 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,474 times
Quote:
----the rise and fall of Wal-Mart-----

what fall ?

I agree with a couple other posters that not only is the fall of Walmart only in some people's minds, but also in their wishes.

Many expensive stores I don't shop at, but I am not so vindictive as to be hoping they fail and constantly bashing them.

Don't like a store ?
Don't shop there.

If the store is doing well, they won't notice your absence.
Same said of GM early to mid 2000s....and look at them now.

What fall? I guess some would argue GM didn't fall.

Don't like the GM store, don't shop there. People didn't.
If the store is doing well, they won't notice your absence.

Well, I think GM did notice it.

And since the fall of GM began in the early 2000s and it took them 7 years to hit the pavement, Walmarts fall has begun...so they should hit the pavement around 2017...if they are anything like GM. (which they aren't but hopefully corporations don't fall in a day...they take years)

Old 12-28-2009, 08:57 AM

I doubt Walmart pays their employees the high wages that GM did.

( by the way, Ford didn't accept bail out money)

I see no corelation whatsoever between GM and Walmart.

Old 12-28-2009, 12:09 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
Walmart's falling? Does this mean the lines will get shorter and I'll be able to find a closer parking spot?

Old 12-28-2009, 01:36 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Shop Rite does.

i feel sorry for them.

I doubt most were quitting any job to take a job at Wal Mart.

I do not think that is why they did it "cuz" that simply does not make any sense. Do you have any links to the numbers? What city was this in Mar? Who were the primary applicants to the store? What was their salary? (They do not offer benefits or vacation, so your area must be the bottom or starved for work if they jumped at Wal Mart. That is why they chose to open there! Cheap labor banging on the door).

How long have you been working there?
They do offer benefits and vacations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products