U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2009, 07:45 AM

258 posts, read 604,633 times

Advertisements

I saw a commercial the other day that just made me laugh.

According to the commercial I can get a Home phone, Internet, and Digital Cable for a "bundled" price that will go up after xx months.

It said $124 for 12 months. It obviously goes up after that but they don't say to how much.

I think thats outrageous, and thats not including HD channels, any premium channels or anything else.

I got creative and bundled my own deal

I get local channels and HD channels with an antenna for free

I get all the channels and movies I want free from the internet. Have an older PC hooked to the big Flatscreen in the living room with a wireless keyboard.

I signed up for Netflix for $8 a month and get the new releases by mail, and thousands of free streaming movies.

I don't need to "upgrade" to a DVR cause you can pause/stop/start/rewatch all the streaming shows and movies.

I have 3 cell phones, one for each family member, and get unlimited long distance etc. We have no "home Phone" any longer. unless you count answering the cell phone while I'm home.

So I pay about $49 for the TWC road runner, but use that to also watch my TV instead of paying TWC more money for the same shows.

No $49 Cable Bill (for basic only)
No $49 Home Phone Bill

I also get WAY more choices and channels on the internet than I could even pay for with the most expensive package.

Obviously if you are a big sports show watcher then they got you buy the kahonies and you pay out the *$$. i don't think there is a lot of internet sports but I don't watch so I don't know.

But if you are a show/news/movie watcher you ought to look into it.

I would like to hear from other folks how you got rid of your outrageous bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:56 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,029,563 times
I'm with you!

Time Warner Cable, along with other cable companies- to me are a joke...but the laugh is on the consumer!

I have their basic, minimum cable for 15 bucks a month AND
their internet.

I use MagicJack, just renewed for my 2nd year (20 bucks)....so the phone is Digital thru Time Warner...just not paying them.

So monthly it's averaged to be $61.66 a month for cable, internet, phone.

(I was opting for their digital package...but BIG BROTHER would be watching my every move.)

Old 12-20-2009, 09:48 AM

43,858 posts, read 45,052,970 times
I just pay it because it is available. I have Brighthouse. I pay around $140 a month for the whole package of everything including turbo speed internet.
But before I moved to Orlando, I lived in a more rural area for over a year. I got along just fine with an antenna and using the internet (ovguide.com) for extra shows and movies. I had internet through AT&T there which was pretty good.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:02 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,492,417 times
I spend around $100 to the cable company for basic "plus" (or whatever they call it) and internet. I have their medium tier internet package (6mb/1mb, or something along those lines). The "plus" package for TV includes things like Discovery, History, etc., but no premium channels or super-niche channels like Discovery Wings. The price breaks down as about half for TV, half for Internet. I'm satisfied with the internet price, but I think the TV charge is a bit high - especially when you consider that we don't watch the majority of the 60+ channels we get.

I have the cable going into a dedicated Vista Ultimate PC, which we use as our DVR. It also manages our music, digital photos and movie collection, and everything's accessible via the remote control, just like a regular TV or cable co DVR. I don't even have a keyboard or mouse attached. I also have access to hundreds of internet based TV networks/shows (including Hulu content) via a Media Center plugin for SecondRun.tv.

For telephone, we have another dedicated PC running linux & asterisk. I have over a dozen phone numbers being handled by it, including our "home" phone number, several numbers for our business, a few for a friend and some spares, for future advertising purposes, etc. All of them are VoIP numbers. That PC has it's own dedicated internet connection via a DSL line. I have things setup so that if one internet connection goes down, I can switch over to the other quickly and easily. Since our business phones are internet based, having two internet connections is very important.

I do have a regular POTS phone line from the local phone company, which we use exclusively for outbound faxes. For inbound faxes, we use a 3rd party fax-to-email service.

For everything together - both 'net connections, the POTS line, cable TV and telephone service, we're paying somewhere around $300/mo or so. That includes all the business phone usage and fax costs. That may sound like a lot, but considering that it includes the business phones, it's quite cheap. Most companies with multiple phone lines will spend that much just for their phone service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products