U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:39 AM

12,054 posts, read 20,513,335 times

Advertisements

I do as much of my shopping as possible online. I actually think it is safer than going to the mall when you are using sites that are well known. I don't have to worry about finding a parking place, someone breaking into my car, and even stealing my credit card number. The only place I have ever had my cc number stolen was in a store, so I will stick with online shopping. Most credit card companies are very good about contacting you if they believe there is a problem with your account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 08:20 AM

10,446 posts, read 11,490,978 times
Think of it this way. When you go out to a restaurant and pay with a credit card, your waiter or waitress takes your card away from the table, runs the charge, and returns it to you. For all you know they could have made up six more charge slips to use later, or made a copy of your card number to create their own phony card to use. Yet I would guess that you don't hesitate to pay for your dinner with a credit card.

Assuming you shop with reliable merchants and check your statements I don't think you are facing any undue risk by making purchases online.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:54 PM

15,240 posts, read 20,185,903 times
I've been buying almost solely online for years. As a recovering stroke survivor, I cant just walk into brick-and-mortar stores and shop around. I'm careful about the online merchants I use and I always do searches for complaints for those websites.

In at least 10,000 online purchases (no exaggeration...I even buy most of my food online), I havent had any bad transactions. Yes, I've bought items that werent exactly what I was expecting but that was almost always my fault. I've never been "taken", where I paid and didnt receive my merchandise.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:50 AM

3,857 posts, read 5,383,756 times
For the OP, if you are worried about ID theft, Visa gift cards can be purchased for a small fee. Think of it as insurance. Once that amount is used, that card cannot be accessed again, unless you reload it.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 PM

19,899 posts, read 16,138,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee22 View Post
I dont think its safe to shop online.

what about you?

I disagree , no matter where you shop, you need to be careful. I have been shopping online now for 10 years, with no problems, from Ebay, to Amazon online, from Home Shopping Club and QVC to Online auto shops, to tool shops, and clothing stores galore. Toy shops the list go's on. I only pay with paypal. Check into the stores history, to see what complaints have been filed agains't them if any. I also check with the BBB. If your careful about shopping online, it is great, half my Christmas shopping is done this way, i just sit back, and it is delievered. I also get better deals online, ok i make deals with the management, if you don't ask for favors, you will never know if you can get one. I order furniture sight unseen. It depends on the website also. For me it is a conveience, and i seem to find so many deals online. I am sure some have had there share of problems shopping online, for me i have not.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:31 AM

277 posts, read 831,508 times
Quote:

what about you?

I shop on line, it is safe and secure. The main reason for me is that there are items that I can't get at stores so I have no choice. I have been shopping on line for over 10 years. I do how ever monitor my credit card statements for fraud the same as if I had purchased at a retail store.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:20 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,689,102 times
I had to double-check the date of this thread to make sure it wasn't twenty years old.

Of course it's safe to shop online. As safe as any other kind of shopping anyway.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,251 times
Quote:

what about you?
Well, i am not agree with you as according to my shop experiences online. I have been ordered a lot of items from the ebay.com, amazon.com, or uxsight.com and the payment method is paypal, Sometime, not satisfied with the item's color or shape when i received it, they would be offered the excellent customer service. so i had to say i like the online shop.

Old 02-19-2010, 03:47 PM

32,531 posts, read 31,238,277 times
I do it all the time. I need size "wide" shoes. And I live in a small town. 'Nuff said.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:35 PM

40 posts, read 79,851 times
There are millions are transactions being conducted on a daily basis. Between SSL secure purchasing and the consumer protection of your credit card, it's just as safe as a brick and mortar transaction.

Could be safer when you consider that the cashier can take an imprint of your card or you could simply lose it while shopping.

Use common sense and you'll be fine..no one ever gained anything in life by going the "safe" route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products