U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2010, 03:09 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,796,656 times

Advertisements

I have been trying for the past six months to cancel my XM radio subscription. In each case, I call and the CSR that I talk to tells me that they are going to give me four free months of service and then, if at the end of that time I still wish to cancel to give them a call. Which I do, and then they give me another four free months of service.

I realize that retention is important, but I am really sick of doing this. A few days a go I sent them an email stating that I wished to cancel the service and I did NOT want to talk to a customer service representative to do it. They sent an email back stating that the only way to cancel is via telephone.

I do not listen to XM, I do not like XM. I do not wish to keep a subscription to XM but there seems no way to cancel it.

I though AOL was bad. These people make AOL look like an amateur.

Any advice from someone who has been there? (Or anybody else for that matter).

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 06:36 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,513,335 times
The only advice I have is to keep checking your account. Just because you talk to them to cancel doesn't really mean that they will cancel. Keep a log of who you talked to with the date and time and notes about your conversation. A lot of trouble just to cancel but you will need it. The reps are in Jamaica or at least mine was. If you pay with a credit card, contact the company to see what you can do. I had a similar problem and it was extremely frustrating.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:06 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,397,069 times
I haven't been there but try putting your story out there on The Consumerist or calling your local "On Your Side" TV reporter.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:10 PM

103 posts, read 458,245 times
Just tell them that you don't want the four free months of service and have them cancel it right then.

If you don't like it, don't listen to it, etc...why would you accept four more months when all that does it keep the subscription going?

Old 01-18-2010, 11:47 AM

664 posts, read 1,770,696 times
I feel your pain. We had XM, I only wanted it for the summer since we were going on a long road trip, otherwise I didn't need it. Well come Sept they charge me for 3 more months. I called and they were like we'll give you 3 free months..uuhhh....it took FOREVER on the phone, they keep transferring you to this person and that and they do everything to try and keep you..you need to be really firm and tell them I want to cancel, I want to canel...I felt like I was talking to a toddler because I had to keep saying that over and over..OMG> It was such a bad experience I will never go with them again.
Good luck...just be firm.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
What you said is they offer you 4 monhts and you accept. Now about not accepting;you can blame them when you agree.For the life of me ;I can see why if you don't like it ;you accept the four months.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 PM

2,480 posts, read 2,910,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have been trying for the past six months to cancel my XM radio subscription. In each case, I call and the CSR that I talk to tells me that they are going to give me four free months of service and then, if at the end of that time I still wish to cancel to give them a call. Which I do, and then they give me another four free months of service.

I realize that retention is important, but I am really sick of doing this. A few days a go I sent them an email stating that I wished to cancel the service and I did NOT want to talk to a customer service representative to do it. They sent an email back stating that the only way to cancel is via telephone.

I do not listen to XM, I do not like XM. I do not wish to keep a subscription to XM but there seems no way to cancel it.

I though AOL was bad. These people make AOL look like an amateur.

Any advice from someone who has been there? (Or anybody else for that matter).

20yrsinBranson
Dear Branson,
same here.
Not to pick on you sweetheart, but you have to learn how to say NO.
They pulled the same trick with me, I kept saying No, no not interested, no to the offer, no, I want to cancel, after about 10 minutes, they finally got it. You might have to get testy with them and ask them what part of NO do they not understand? It worked for me.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,650 times
I think it is incredible that a US based company gives such bad customer service. All calls are routed to the Philippines, and the requests are not getting any attention. I believe a class action law suit is the only way to get this company to change the way they are proving service.
If you wish to join me send me an email to [email]bikeman636@hotmail.com[/email] with quick description of you issue and how long you are trying to get what you paid for

Old 07-14-2011, 07:08 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,007,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeman636 View Post
I think it is incredible that a US based company gives such bad customer service. All calls are routed to the Philippines, and the requests are not getting any attention. I believe a class action law suit is the only way to get this company to change the way they are proving service.
If you wish to join me send me an email to [deleted] with quick description of you issue and how long you are trying to get what you paid for
Really? You revive a one year old thread, with a first post no less, and you expect people to email you? If a class action arrises people won't need to email a guy with a hotmail account
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products