U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 PM

8 posts, read 10,432 times
Question Price Chopper - how?

I did a price comparison today at multiple stores in my area using a multitude of items, and I still just do not understand how Price Chopper can price their items so much higher even when they are "on sale" and still manage to stay in business! There's plenty of grocery stores where I live and all of them have a fairly close range in prices. Then there's PC, with prices AT LEAST a dollar more. Their sale price will be the top price for that item in the entire area, whether that item is on sale or not elsewhere. Yet, the place was packed today when I was checking out prices.

And it's not as if it has a better atmosphere or better employees/service. It's dirty, the employees are often rude, and right now they are shifting everything around on their aisles, which confuses and frustrates many of the customers (I heard plenty of them complaining today about no longer knowing where anything is). There are three other stores here that are better on all of those parts of the shopping experience.

Weird!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 08:45 PM

14,702 posts, read 16,737,629 times
Swell, Price Chopper just bought out one of our local stores. I can't wait until it jumps the shark in the manner you describe. My only other alternative is Squall-Mart.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-15-2010, 04:31 PM

6,764 posts, read 13,378,741 times
Unfortunately where I live we only have PriceChopper and Shaws. There is another lame market but I would not shop there because THEY jack things up because of it being in the 'poor side of town' (this is notorious in the supermarket industry...high costs in poorer areas where people have to use a bus or walk.

Anyhow, I just went to PC today and my bill was not too bad but I have been buying more store brands.

We usually go to Super Walmart which is 40 minutes drive each way but with winter and not wanting to waste gas & time we've been going back to PC.

I grew up with four supermarkets in my neighborhood so there was always some price war on. Here you rarely get that.

I have seen prices on some items at PC go up as much as 100% in the last year. Why are they charging 99 cent a bottle for seltzer water, for example? It used to be 3 for 99 cents. It's a damn shame someone can't regulate these places where we have only 1 or 2 choices of grocery stores.

When food costs more in Vermont than Metro NY something is screwed up.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:26 PM

264 posts, read 244,745 times
I actually live an hour from you (Sch'dy) and completely agree. My parents shop at Price Chopper and their grocery bill is so much more than ours, for similar things. We shop Hannaford. We've tried a few times to shop PC and see how it compares and we always, always, always go above our budget when we do.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:11 PM

11,001 posts, read 6,773,247 times
It has a pact with the devil, lol.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:15 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,870,711 times
I'm really fortunate to live in an area where we have a tremendous choice of markets. Within a 10-minute drive we have Price Chopper (3), Redner's (2), Gerrity's (2), WalMart Supercenter, Thomas' (2), Aldi (2) and Wegman's. I'll buy staples and non-perishables at WalMart, but their meat is unappetizing and their produce doesn't appeal to me. If I'm in a hurry and I'm in the mini-mall where Price Chopper is located, I might run in for one or two things (I do like their bagels), but I agree with the OP that they are far more expensive than the others, and that includes Wegman's, which is the ultimate in my book, for everything. From time to time, I'll wander through Aldi, because some of their off-brand stuff is okay, but lately not enough of a price differential to make me a weekly shopper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products