U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 02:40 PM

4,778 posts, read 10,429,001 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new refrigerator at Sears Family and Friends Sale. My old one died at 8 yrs. Two weeks ago and when I went shopping the salesman at Sears told me to wait for the sale as I could save alot so I waited and have been living out of an ice chest for 2 weeks.I can not say enough good things about the Salesman at Sears as he was fantastic and provided outstanding customer service unlike the sales people at Best Buy when I looked there. So I bought it and we set up delivery for the 14th and I went home happy thinking in 5 more days life will be back to normal no more daily trips to the store for ice.

Well 8:30 the next morning I got a call from Sears informing me they have a problem that refrigerator as it is on back order until the 22nd. Now I have 12 days assuming they do get it and get it delivered on the 22nd. My question is how can this happen in this digital computer age? Wouldn't they have known they had a problem the previous night and wouldn't that have showed up on the computer when he entered the product # and the delivery date? Shouldn't the stock have been known before their big sale?

Last time I bought anything from Sears was about 7 yrs ago when I bought an over the range microwave and the installers damaged my kitchen cabinet and Sears refused to do anything about it because they subcontracted the job out to a local appliance store who also refused to fix or pay to fix the damage.

How can Sears have such good instore customer service then drop the ball when it comes to Delivery?

To me customer service is important and yes I will spend more or drive further to give my business to a place that has great customer service verses a place that lacks in that department. When I was shopping for a new couch it was a cold rainy day and there were two stores that have custom built couches that I admired . They were on the same block downtown. Iwalked into the first one cold and wet and they treated me like I was riff raff the cat dragged in so I left went to the next one where they greeted me and asked if I would like some coffee or hot chocolate and when I said yes they said go sit down and try out a couch and we will bring it to you. So I sat on the couch I was interested in sipping hot chocoltae so in a way test driving my future couch style. And the sales person came over and we chatted for awhile it was like sitting with a friend. I don't think I have to tell you which store I bought the couch from and no it was not the cheaper one! Now years later if I am down town and pass the store and the guy that owns it is there and spots me he still remembers even my name and comes out and says hello. The man and his staff know how to make customers feel special and yes they got my repeat busines when I bought a chair a few years later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:26 PM

5,032 posts, read 14,670,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashdog View Post
How can Sears have such good instore customer service then drop the ball when it comes to Delivery?
Not just with Sears but with several businesses in my area, I have experienced this. It's because the sale is one thing. Delivery, is a whole different thing.

I would get so frustrated that my salesman was great and would tell me one thing. But several delivery delays/cancellations later, I experienced a whole different level of customer service. It was a blame game.....sales blamed the warehouse/inventory guys they blamed the delivery guys and the finger pointing continued.

It would be nice if businesses would encourage (or even require) communication between these areas.

My biggest frustration came from the delivery area. There was no phone number to call to check on when your delivery should be made. It was a "don't call us, we'll call you" type of system. Or a "sit home and wait 8 hours for our guys to show up" type of plan.

Like you said in your post earlier, "How can this happen in this digital computer age?" Why don't businesses care about customer satisfaction throughout the whole purchasing process?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:44 PM

4,778 posts, read 10,429,001 times
I hear you there as I have had the sit home and wait 8 hr deal too and in my case I was the last delivery of the day so just before 6PM there they were. Would have been nice to get a call saying your delivery will be after 4PM so that I could have done something with my day. These people do have deliver schedules so they do know within an hour or two when they should be there.

I did have new floors put in a few years ago and I do have to say that company was FANTASTIC. After shopping many stores this one won my business as they had great customer service and listened to what I wanted instead of telling me what I wanted like many tried to do. They were even fantastic in the delivery and installation as if they were going to even be 5 minutes late from the time they gave me they would call and tell me. The guys that did the job were very friendly and helpful and it was an all around great experience. About 6 months later I was walking my dogs in the neighbor hood and the owners son who was the one that had done the measurements at my place and had written up our contract was driving by on his way to another customers home and he spotted me and pulled over just to ask how I was liking the floors. To me that is how a company show be if they want my return business or want me to refer them to my friends. I had several friends that were talking new floors or new carpet so you can bet I sent them to this store and yes they got the business. So to not offer that kind of service blows my mind as alot of business is done via customer referal so good service can make or break a business.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:07 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,327,030 times
It's too bad when the salesman is great and then the delivery service is terrible.

When I moved a couple years ago, my car was still under warranty and I needed a repair. The closest Chevy dealer would barely speak to me on the phone once I mentioned my extended warranty, so I called the next closest place. The service manager was very helpful and explained what the warranty company had to do for their dealer to accept it. Luckily the company did business the way the dealer required, so I had the service performed there. I called a few months later for something else, and when I gave my name, the service manager immediately named the make and model of my car, and what repair had been done. Amazing.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:48 AM

15,240 posts, read 20,185,903 times
I havent stepped foot in a Sears for 20+ years...ever since I was conned in the auto repair department. That's another story, but it gives me reason to ask how you're sure that the "fantastic" salesman wasnt aware that the refrigerator was on back-order all along? Had he told you, upfront, that it was on back-order until the 22nd, would you have bought it? Maybe he didnt think so.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:16 AM
Itz

714 posts, read 1,951,446 times
I worked in a retail distribution warehouse as IT and it still boils down to HUMAN error - even in the digital age.
Inventory gets miscounted, some inventory may be put in the WRONG bin/location by mistake - causing a miscount... etc. etc.. etc...
The salesmans computer may have said that one was in stock, but the warehouse guy/gal that went to "pull" it probably looked at the order number vs the stock location and said... wrong item.. back order. Heck communication between computers still takes time. The systems we ran on to check stock in other locations could take up to 12 hours to refresh when the computers were acting up.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:40 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,612,549 times
It might not be Sears' fault at all. To have a backorder means that the store put in the request from the company that sells the product, but they haven't gotten the merchandise yet. For example, Sears would call Kenmore and tell them they need x amount of their product. Then Kenmore says "sure, we'll get it to you tomorrow morning". Sears is waiting for the truck the next morning, and nothing happens. Sears calls Kenmore to tell them that they didn't receive the merchandise and Kenmore says they sent it out already and that they should be getting the merchandise no later than tomorrow. So Sears waits some more, and nothing happens. Again, Sears calls Kenmore and asks "what happened to the product?" To which Kenmore replies that its not on the computer that Sears ordered anything and that they will send in a new order tomorrow or next week when the new inventory is ready. So Sears has to wait another week after telling its customers that it was going to be available that same week. And so forth. It can go on and on, delay after delay, because of problems with the 'getting the product to its destination' part.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:43 AM

8,778 posts, read 16,984,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
For example, Sears would call Kenmore..........
No, they wouldn't. Kenmore is Sears' private label brand.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:49 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,612,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
No, they wouldn't. Kenmore is Sears' private label brand.

So you're saying they don't talk to each other? Oh geez, no wonder nothing gets done.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:54 AM

8,778 posts, read 16,984,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
So you're saying they don't talk to each other? Oh geez, no wonder nothing gets done.
Kenmore is Sears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products