U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:08 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,103,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
You MUST be delusional. Levittown is the capitol of chain stores and restaurants. There is a Target and a WalMart right there. It's also strip mall central. Levittown doesn't even have a town. If anyone from around the country could see where you live they would be laughing their butts off at the picture you are painting of where you live.

Long Island is general is the ultimate suburb. People here like to think they are so cosmopolitan, but the more you talk like this the more provincial you sound.
Only difference is that they plant PALM TREES around the strip malls. You want "develpment" come to Florida. You don't know the term, reach out and touch someone (as in your neighbor's house), until you see developments in Florida. At least where I lived on LI (Suffolk), the lots were zoned half acre or MORE.

BTW, Kuddos to the residents of Rego Park which rebuffed efforts to put a WalMart there. "Not in MY neighboorhood" was the outcry. Good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 04:19 PM

62 posts, read 160,276 times
Yeah, exactly what we need. . . more government control over the marketplace.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:20 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,443,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
You MUST be delusional. Levittown is the capitol of chain stores and restaurants. There is a Target and a WalMart right there. It's also strip mall central. Levittown doesn't even have a town. If anyone from around the country could see where you live they would be laughing their butts off at the picture you are painting of where you live.

Long Island is general is the ultimate suburb. People here like to think they are so cosmopolitan, but the more you talk like this the more provincial you sound.

I'm laughing at your entire post. I'm guessing you've never been to the suburbs of any other city. Who cares if there's a Walmart and Target. There are only like 7 walmarts on the entire island, which is 118 miles long (whereas there are 12 Walmarts in the city of Houston alone). Look at my list and you'll see only like 10% of the restaurants are chains. I live on the border of Hicksville and often go to the bengali and indian restaurants there.

In just a matter of a mile, you have all this. I've never seen this many mom and pop shops anywhere else in the country, and I've lived in 2 other cities' suburbs and traveled extensively.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 06:07 AM..

Old 01-16-2010, 04:48 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,195,399 times
Ridiculous idea.

Chain stores mass sell items at a fraction of the price of most of these mom-and-pop stores, saving people money. Why are they demonized so much?

It's funny to me because chains like Wal-Mart and K-Mart started out as mom-and-pop stores. They just happened to be extremely successful and that's when people started disliking them.

It seems people support mom-and-pop stores as long as they're small and struggling. Once they're any bit successful to where they can expand, they're demonized.

Until Joe's Hardware or Paul's Grocery Store can offer the same prices and selection as bigger named stores and can stay open for 24 hours/7 days/365 days, I will keep shopping at chains.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:26 PM

5,642 posts, read 8,103,840 times
There are chain stores and then there are chain stores. Walmart treats their employees like dirt. Wear Depends so you don't have to take bathroom breaks? Then there is COSTCO which is rated a top company to work for.

They are not all created equal.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:38 AM

10,996 posts, read 11,612,549 times
Nobody forces anybody to work at Wal-Mart. If they shut down their stores, millions would be out of jobs. Mom and pop stores might work in places like France, but this is the U.S., we expect things fast and affordable. Mom and pop stores might be pricier and you have to go across town for something you might need now. New York has real estate that is sold at gold prices. Unless the people that are renting space to put in a mom and pop shop are great and making quality stuff, they wont last long there. That is why the shops there are worth anything. A mom and pop store can open anywhere else with a much lower real estate value and prosper if they are halfway good, but not in New York. In New York, you are either the best there is, or you won't be able to pay the rent. Go to a small town in America where there are few chain stores and you will notice that most of the residents take trips to bigger cities so they can shop at a chain store, at least for clothing. Americans love chain stores.

Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,133,354 times
Mom and Pop sell the same Chinese junk that WalMart sells, but Mom and Pop charge twice as much for it.

There are an infinite number of business and financial reasons for this and I don't care about any of them.

The only way I will give my money to Mom and Pop is if they get jobs as WalMart cashiers.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:15 PM

4,711 posts, read 11,040,051 times
Truly exceptional mom & pop stores have nothing to fear from the chains. There's a hardware store in my town like that. Within a few mile radius, there's 4 or 5 Home Depots and a couple of Lowe's. But tons of people drive right by them heading to this mom & pop. You can't walk 10 feet into the place without being asked if you need help. Find somebody to help you at HD and Lowe's...heck most of them don't even speak English.

Retired plumbers run the plumbing department, electricians run the electrical dept, and so on. They do everything but go home with you and do the repair for you!

Yeah, the prices are a little higher but WELL worth it. In most cases, they carry better quality parts than the chains...and have stuff you'll never see at the chains. And if they don't have it, they'll get it QUICK.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:52 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
I have to wander if you lived in the days of the so called mom and pop stores. I did and they did everything they could including politics to keepout competition and keep their prices high.So no thank you; I like competition and cheaper prices.I also have worked for them;they required long hours ;little overtime pay and fired people that didn't go along with them.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 PM

188,167 posts, read 77,781,886 times
Free enterprise makes things better in the long run. Competition is in control. Government was supposed to only do for the people what the people can't do best for themselves. Making chain stores illegal would not be an example of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products