U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 09:59 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I have to wander if you lived in the days of the so called mom and pop stores. I did and they did everything they could including politics to keepout competition and keep their prices high.So no thank you; I like competition and cheaper prices.I also have worked for them;they required long hours ;little overtime pay and fired people that didn't go along with them.
My experience also.

And most of those mom and pop places that had high prices and fought competion, mom and pop retired with a nice house, lake cabin, fancy camper for wintering in Florida.

Yup, those high ptices they charged yielded very good profits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 10:23 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,251,216 times
I don't think they should be ILLEGAL but there should be zoning standards that make it hard for them to open up shop.

I'd love to have more mom and pop places where I live but it's pretty much full of big box stores. There aren't a lot of unique shops.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:50 PM

14,419 posts, read 24,449,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
My experience also.

And most of those mom and pop places that had high prices and fought competion, mom and pop retired with a nice house, lake cabin, fancy camper for wintering in Florida.

I remember life in rural Virginia. The clothing store down the street would charge $20 for three pairs of Hanes briefs.

Fifty miles away in Newport News, the same briefs were $6.

After I was married, I would drive my wife down to work in NN on Saturdays and do all the shopping.

I stopped in the local bakery last year in Chicagoland and the store manager let me know that this was her last day at the bakery.

She told me that she was going to be the bakery manager at the local WalMart and she was very excited. She told me that she got $2.50/ hr raise and "for the first time in twenty years, I will have medical insurance."

Old 01-21-2010, 08:33 AM

8,998 posts, read 13,251,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I remember life in rural Virginia. The clothing store down the street would charge $20 for three pairs of Hanes briefs.

Fifty miles away in Newport News, the same briefs were $6.

After I was married, I would drive my wife down to work in NN on Saturdays and do all the shopping.

I stopped in the local bakery last year in Chicagoland and the store manager let me know that this was her last day at the bakery.

She told me that she was going to be the bakery manager at the local WalMart and she was very excited. She told me that she got $2.50/ hr raise and "for the first time in twenty years, I will have medical insurance."
Of course it's easier for Wal-Mart to provide health insurance to their hourly employees. Whether or not it's good health insurance is another thread.

A lot of small businesses can't afford to provide health insurance to their employees. Sometimes they might pay a person more per hour but they don't provide health insurance.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:42 AM

14,419 posts, read 24,449,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Of course it's easier for Wal-Mart to provide health insurance to their hourly employees. Whether or not it's good health insurance is another thread.

A lot of small businesses can't afford to provide health insurance to their employees. Sometimes they might pay a person more per hour but they don't provide health insurance.

I have a lot of small business clients that SAY that. Ask them whether they prefer to keep their country club membership or pay their employee's health care, guess which one THEY prefer?

And their operating profit margins are higher than WalMart's 3-4%.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:08 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have a lot of small business clients that SAY that. Ask them whether they prefer to keep their country club membership or pay their employee's health care, guess which one THEY prefer?

And their operating profit margins are higher than WalMart's 3-4%.
Yup--------a couple ,around,60 owned a grocery store in a small town near me ( 400 pop)

They were not happy the last year of them owning it when Walmart built a Supercenter 12 miles away.

They decided to call it quits and enjoy their new house, and huge new camper pulled by their new 4 door pick up as they winter over in Arizona.

Price gouging the locals was very profitable.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:37 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,565,546 times
Wal Mart seems to be getting more and more aggressive in its quest to knock out competitors. Soon the only places to shop in the U.S. will be at Wal Mart or Amazon.com. Yay for monopoly! Yay for places of actual architectural worth being turned into cheaply built giant sterile warehouses! Way to go America for falling right into corporate hands!

Old 01-23-2010, 04:44 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,851,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
My experience also.

And with those very good profits Mom and Pop went out to dinner, hired a housekeeper. Maybe even hired a constuction crew to add on to the house. They shopped at the local dress shop and bought their paint from the local hardware store. That fancy camper was probably built here in the U.S. of A. by well-paid American workers.

The difference with a big-box chain is that much of the money (((poof))) leaves the local economy, never to return.

Back to the original question: NO, I do not think chain stores should be illegal. It's just not the American Way to restrict commerce like that. I DO however "vote with my dollars" and spend my money with local merchants whenever possible. Sadly, that is becoming more and more difficult.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:40 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post

The difference with a big-box chain is that much of the money leaves the local economy, never to return.
So what.

The only time it makes any difference to me is when it’s in my pocket.

After it leaves there, I don’t care where it goes.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:44 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,851,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
So what.

The only time it makes any difference to me is when it’s in my pocket.

After it leaves there, I don’t care where it goes.
That pretty much explains the current situation in a nutshell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products