U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 08:07 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
And with those very good profits Mom and Pop went out to dinner, hired a housekeeper. Maybe even hired a constuction crew to add on to the house. They shopped at the local dress shop and bought their paint from the local hardware store. That fancy camper was probably built here in the U.S. of A. by well-paid American workers.

The difference with a big-box chain is that much of the money (((poof))) leaves the local economy, never to return.

Back to the original question: NO, I do not think chain stores should be illegal. It's just not the American Way to restrict commerce like that. I DO however "vote with my dollars" and spend my money with local merchants whenever possible. Sadly, that is becoming more and more difficult.
A local contractor was the General Contractor when the new Walmart Super Center was built 24 miles from me.

Local people got hired by that Walmart Supercenter when it opened.
Local charities have benefited by contributions from Walmart.

Our local small town merchants ?
One gave a $1,000 scholorship to our small high school. It was worded with very complex qualifications in order to get it.

The winner was...................................... his daughter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 08:18 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,851,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Local people got hired by that Walmart Supercenter when it opened.
Hopefully they are all making 50K + per year plus benefits and your town will prosper then!

Alas, such is not the case everywhere.

Best wishes.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:21 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,733,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
Wal Mart seems to be getting more and more aggressive in its quest to knock out competitors. Soon the only places to shop in the U.S. will be at Wal Mart or Amazon.com. Yay for monopoly! Yay for places of actual architectural worth being turned into cheaply built giant sterile warehouses! Way to go America for falling right into corporate hands!
Who freaking cares, you don't live in Wal-Mart, as long as the prices are cheap who cares. Geeze, I'd rather go to Home Depot to buy a part for 5 dollars than go to a mom and pop and pay 10 dollars, even if they do say hi to me, I could give a d a m n.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:25 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,733,910 times
Quote:
And with those very good profits Mom and Pop went out to dinner, hired a housekeeper. Maybe even hired a constuction crew to add on to the house. They shopped at the local dress shop and bought their paint from the local hardware store. That fancy camper was probably built here in the U.S. of A. by well-paid American workers.

The difference with a big-box chain is that much of the money (((poof))) leaves the local economy, never to return.

Back to the original question: NO, I do not think chain stores should be illegal. It's just not the American Way to restrict commerce like that. I DO however "vote with my dollars" and spend my money with local merchants whenever possible. Sadly, that is becoming more and more difficult.
Maybe your right, they did go out to dinner and add on to there house, to bad the people shopping there couldn't do those things after paying 50 dollars for a freaking gallon of paint. I'm tired of people wanting to live in the 1950s, move on those days are over where everyone at the hardware store knows eachother. I don't know if it's for the better or not, but the reality is this is a Target,Costco,Wal-Mart country now, get over it. On top of that, mom and pop buisnesses employ a 1/3 of what target or wal mart does, geeze probably more than that, so don't talk about helping locals.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:49 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,851,626 times
Sadly, basic and classic economics appears not to be taught in the local public high school.

Bummer, dudes.

Old 01-23-2010, 10:56 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,686,634 times
Quote:
Hopefully they are all making 50K + per year plus benefits and your town will prosper then!

Alas, such is not the case everywhere.

Best wishes.

I know they are making more working at Walmart than they were making when working at the mom and pop store.

Why should Walmart pay its employees more than the highest paid teacher in our entire school gets ?

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM

31 posts, read 20,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reck345 View Post
I know this is a very far fetched topic but I beilive chain stores should be complety illegal or at least limited to 10 outlets in order to reinstall vibrancy and community in American towns with mom an pop shops.
there is always china if you would like to live there.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:29 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,856,276 times
Chain stores ensure consistency.

And buying in bulk allows a company to keep prices down. I'd rather pay low prices and get bad service than pay high prices and get the same bad service. Because the applicant pool for both companies would be the same--except that the mom and pop stores cannot afford to pay equivalent wages to its employees.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:24 PM

2,787 posts, read 5,399,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reck345 View Post
I know this is a very far fetched topic but I beilive chain stores should be complety illegal or at least limited to 10 outlets in order to reinstall vibrancy and community in American towns with mom an pop shops.

Never..I value the choices and wide variety that chains provide and lower prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products