U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:44 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,210,863 times

Advertisements

I apologize if I posted in the wrong section...a mod can move it if he or she desires if I have done so.

I recently discovered Priceline's bidding section, which is of interest to me because I am going to be flying to Pittsburgh and Boston this year, and I am still trying to get over the sticker shock of Boston's insane hotel prices. I've never tried to bid....if anyone has, could you tell me how easy it is and all that good stuff? I'd appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2010, 11:44 AM

664 posts, read 1,770,696 times
I did this a few yaers ago. I believe they charge $5 for every attemp or bid, but that could be for all your bidding or each time..sorry it's been awhile. I will never use them for flying because I only like direct flights and because your getting a cheaper price flights can sometimes have 2-3 connections, and I don't do connections. But we were able to get a good deal on a hotel room. Just make sure you find out how much they charge when your trying to bid.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10,000Lakes View Post
I did this a few yaers ago. I believe they charge $5 for every attemp or bid, but that could be for all your bidding or each time..sorry it's been awhile. I will never use them for flying because I only like direct flights and because your getting a cheaper price flights can sometimes have 2-3 connections, and I don't do connections. But we were able to get a good deal on a hotel room. Just make sure you find out how much they charge when your trying to bid.
Thanks, Lakes....that was my big worry--being charged per bid. I wish I could do a practice bid just to get the hang of the process. I'll definitely do my research before I make any real bids. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2010, 10:02 PM

14,415 posts, read 24,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBrakeforTailgaters View Post
I apologize if I posted in the wrong section...a mod can move it if he or she desires if I have done so.

I recently discovered Priceline's bidding section, which is of interest to me because I am going to be flying to Pittsburgh and Boston this year, and I am still trying to get over the sticker shock of Boston's insane hotel prices. I've never tried to bid....if anyone has, could you tell me how easy it is and all that good stuff? I'd appreciate it!

Yes, I have bid over 100 times in most major cities including Boston and Philadelphia where I was able to get HIGH QUALITY hotels in the downtown area for approximately $80/ night. NO KIDDING.

Biddingfortravel.com would be the best site to get a good feeling as to how it works. In a few sentences, you tell Priceline 1) what city zone you want, 2) what level of amenities you want, and 3) how much you are willing to pay. YOU DO NOT GET TO CHOOSE THE HOTEL. ALL RESERVATIONS ARE NON-REFUNDABLE AND NON CHANGEABLE. In return, you will generally get a hotel at about half price OR LESS.

For example, here are some of the bids that I have received in the past two years:

DT Philadelphia Embassy Suites $80
Boston Financial District Holiday Inn $84
Detroit - West Suburbs Residence Inn $34
Oakbrook, IL Hyatt Lodge $40
DT Chicago - Marriott $52
Nashville Airport Radisson - $38

Priceline is GREAT for hotels, less so for airlines.

Read over the FAQs in the website above and come back with any questions.

I will be bidding for a hotel this evening in Nashville. I will probably get the Radisson for $35 as opposed to paying their "internet special" rate of $69. There is no guarantee however.

Do read all of the terms and conditions. Priceline gives you exactly what they promise but NOT "what you read into it."

You may also want to look into Hotwire. Similar deal. It is eassier to use but the deals GENERALLY do NOT match up with Priceline.

Old 01-23-2010, 04:46 PM

302 posts, read 542,153 times
A friend of mine just several months ago told me about Priceline.com.
He does quite a bit of travel for his job and recommended that I try the "Name Your Own Price". You can typically save on average of 50% off hotels. I have tried to use it for airfare also, but haven't had much success with it the few times that I "Named my Own Price".

I was successful though with GREAT deals on hotels and car rentals...

Hotels Deals:
Wingate By Wyndham - Bozeman, MT Priceline $45 Regular $149
Courtyard By Marriott - Chattanooga, TN Priceline $45 Regular $189

Car Rental Deals:
Typically $15-$25 Compact or Sedan

Old 01-30-2010, 10:02 PM

jlawrence and angelfish, thanks for the responses. I actually was just kinda forced to use the site as our water pipes burst and the inconvenience of collecting ice/snow/buying a bunch of water is getting to be too much of a hassle. I unsuccessfully tried to bid for a 5-night stay at one of our local hotels last night, but I tried again tonight to get a 2-night stay and won....I got a $34/night deal at a Fairfield Inn by Marriott, which has regular rates around $75. This was great practice for the Boston trips later in the year, and it really wasn't tough. I was impressed at the quick results. I thought it would take several business days to find out what would happen. I highly recommend this service...I'm looking forward to finding a great deal in Boston! Thanks again everyone!

Old 02-01-2010, 04:31 PM

1,044 posts, read 4,068,139 times
I use it for car rentals all the time and have always paid less than $20, when most other sites charge at least $25 or $30. One issue I had at the hotel I work at, is a guy called and said that he bid more money assuming he would get a higher category but was placed in the same category. He bid maybe $160 when other people got the same room for $99. The sites that disclose the sites and wins are very helpful!

Old 02-01-2010, 09:01 PM

14,415 posts, read 24,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I use it for car rentals all the time and have always paid less than $20, when most other sites charge at least $25 or $30. One issue I had at the hotel I work at, is a guy called and said that he bid more money assuming he would get a higher category but was placed in the same category. He bid maybe $160 when other people got the same room for $99. The sites that disclose the sites and wins are very helpful!
People who do NOT research prior to bidding on Priceline are the folks that are always complaining that Priceline is a rip-off.

BEFORE bidding on Priceline, check Orbitz, Expedia, etc. for the best deals. Check the website deals. ALSO, always shop Hotwire. When you get all that done, you will have a good idea of the market price.

Personally, the two things that I use to determine my first bid is 1) previous winning bids and the Hotwire price. IN BOTH CASES, my first bids will be UNDER the last price on Biddingfor Travel. Why lower? Why not? I can usually rebid at a later time of use "free" rebids.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT NOTE. Priceline is NOT ALWAYS the best price for hotels or rental cars. For example, when researching a hotel in DT Omaha, I found a pricing error on Orbitz where a hotel was $9/ night. I booked it and the hotel honored it.

In Las Vegas and Reno, web deals and Tripres are often cheaper than Priceline.

On occasion in smaller markets, Hotwire is lower than Priceline. If that is the case, use Hotwire.

Let's say you do overbid $160 for a hotel and find it for $80 on Orbitz. Contact Priceline customer service as I believe that there is a "best rate guarantee" on Priceline.

Old 12-09-2011, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 5,119 times
Priceline put us in a four star hotel with five reported cases of bedbugs and refused to cancel the reservation. DO NOT USE.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:59 PM

2,497 posts, read 3,721,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sport68 View Post
Priceline put us in a four star hotel with five reported cases of bedbugs and refused to cancel the reservation. DO NOT USE.
You're telling me? I will NEVER use them again. They managed to make my 8hr flight a 3 day ordeal. Horrible service i tell you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or