U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with Best Buy?
Yes 29 41.43%
No 41 58.57%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:13 PM

52,151 posts, read 30,211,231 times

Advertisements

I went to Best Buy not too long ago to see if they could replace the power button on my Gateway 7210 GX laptop, which for some reason broke. It's the same store where I bought it from 4 years ago. When I talked to a guy in their "Geek Squad" to see if they had the part and if they could repair it, he told me that they'd have to send it to their main service center in California...

I took it to Fry's Electronics' service department, and they removed the broken power button, and showed me a way to power it up with a toothpick.. They were also very helpful in giving me a couple of websites I can order the part from, and the best part about this, they didn't charge me anything, even though they had to disassemble it to take the old power button out. I guess for the time being I'll just use the toothpick.. I just haven't had the will to order the part, since I'll probably be getting a new one around the middle of this year.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2009, 05:16 PM

67,065 posts, read 16,507,200 times
Next time I have a problem,I would try them,thanks Mike! There is one close by

Old 01-16-2009, 01:30 PM

19,109 posts, read 19,968,385 times
Cool Mike.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:29 PM

43,858 posts, read 45,042,427 times
I wonder what will happen to all those extended warranties people purchased after Best Buy goes bankrupt. This will relieve them from paying manufacturers and negate any ongoing contracts.

Old 03-08-2009, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 3,773 times
Default big problems with bestbuy

Yes I have had a big problem with bb in Williston VT 2 days ago. I went in to exchange my son's broken cell phone because we have the
replacement policy, thought it would take 5 minutes but it took 3 hrs, 3 cops and many many tears before it was over & I had to pay $150 for a piece of poop loaner phone.

Within 5 minutes at the "customer service" counter I was told by
mike (I think) that he couldn't help me before he even looked up my info.
Then he said he didn't like my attitude and someone else would have to help me. And I hadn't even gotten mad yet!

Stacey started working on my problem but couldn't find me in the computer. After about 15 min she finally printed out something but there was a BIG problem, the receipt said the phone was black, but it was white. That was because we had already exchanged it once and someone
forgot to change a sku # or something so I had to wait for Michael in
the mobile phone dept.

I went there & he was helping a couple with a 3 yr old who had already
been there for 3 hrs, they told me. After a few minutes Ryan came to help me. HE asked Michael some questions, made a few phone calls, worked on the computer for fifteen min then printed out some pages & told me even though it was OBVIOUSLY NO REPAIRABLE they would still
have to send it out & we had to wait 1 month or so unless I wanted to
give them $150 DEPOSIT FOR A LOANER CRUDDY PHONE & then if that
one doesn't break I can get my deposit back when I return it and THEN
THEY WILL GIVE ME THE NEW PHONE.

When I bought the policy they told me it's so great JUST BRING THE BROKEN PHONE IN & GET A NEW ONE! When I started to protest ( I was so mad I got up and walked away & turned my back I just couldn't look at RYAn's face anymore ) so then he asks me DO YOU WANT ME TO CALL THE POLICE? At this point there are a lot of people standing around watching. I said call them if your want but let me talk to the manager and he says I AM THE MANAGER.

While I was waiting for the police I went to sit in their waiting area by the
"customer service" area crying my eyes out & another blue shirt starts talking to me & says
HE IS THE MANAGER. But he can't help me either. I was crying so hard I couldn't read his name tag. So I talk to another guy behind the counter (no name tag) who tells me HE IS THE MANAGER but he can't help me either he says to go back to the phone dept but I can't because Ryan is
there & he just called the police to take me away.

Some employee or manager maybe suggests I call corporate & he takes me to the phone & dials it. I stand at the cs counter with 3 cops & 50 people watching & listening while I talk to corporate & they say they can help! Just get a bb employee on the phone to give or get an RA # or something so everyone watches while I try to get ANY BLUE SHIRTS
attention but I don't want to talk really loud because I don't want to get arrested or thrown out, I just want a PHONE FOR FREE LIKE THEY TOLD ME BACK IN MAY WHEN I BOUGHT THE SEVICE OR INSURNACE whatever
they call it. But no one will come to the phone. I am a late 50's physician, mom and grandma & I am crying my eyes out on the phone & the BLUE SHIRTS ARE TURNING THIEIR BACKS ON ME, SHAKING THEIR HEADS, SAYING IT'S NOT MY DEPT, IDON'T WORK HERE. i ASK THE PERSON ON THE PHONE WHY DID THEY MAKE ME CALL YOU? I am
certain it was for their entertainment & to waste my time & get me mad.
They say only the store manager can help me. I

I hang up & Ryan appears behind the counter, I say I give up can I just pay and get my son's phone & get out of here please, I have been here for 2 hrs so far.;.. He says yes, I'll help you then disappears & goes
behind my back to tell the police to throw me out. The cop says "we've
gone as far as we can here.." All of a sudden BRIAN S. SHOWS UP & NOW SUDDENLY HE IS THE STORE MANAGER & THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN HELP ME. My lawyer, who I have called because I'm afraid I'm going to jail, and
asks
Brain wouldn't it be worth it to make an exception & forego the deposti, it's just a deposit, to keep a lONG TIME CUSTOMER WHO HAS SPENT THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WITH YOU HAPPY. AND BRIAN S SAYS NO.

Then I had to beg the police to let me pay $150 & please just get a phone & leave. The cop lectures me for 5 minutes & says he's better not have to come back. I say please I am 56 yrs old I am not going to hit or hurt anyone I will be good please.

So now after 2.5 hrs I am beaten embarrassed humiliated & sitting again at the phone counter waiting for 45 min while Chase (very very nice)
activates the piece of poop phone & if that one breaks I lose my deposit.
I went on the bb forum yesterday and read about 6000 complaints from
customers who were lied to, sold useless warrantys, and were treated
rudely. They seem to decide YOU ARE THE ENEMY AS SOON AS YOU HAVE A COMPLAINT & ALL THEY WANT TO DO IS GET RID OF YOU,
I don't understand how they stay in business with their bad attitude.

Old 03-08-2009, 10:10 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,521,739 times
They have been VERY notorious for taking back items that were defective for some reason or other, re-packaging them and putting them back on the shelf for the next 'victim' to have to bring back. I know of someone who used to work for them and personally, whether it was me or someone else I went there with a few times, have dealt with that issue a few times at the Best Buy back in Az. He stopeed going there though because it just wasnt worth the trip.

Old 03-08-2009, 12:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,773 times
Default bestbuy is notorious for...

Apparently there is a lot they are notorious for: lying, not backing warrantys, selling used products as new, and being very rude, not honoring their lemon policies, etc.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,645 times
Default Possible Best Buy Scam

Possible Best Buy scam.
Back on Sept 7, 2009, I tried to purchase a refrigerator on-line but the order, for some unknown reason, would not go through. (It was not a credit card issue.)
This was a Labor Day Only special on Samsung refrierator (RFG299AARS SKU:8971525) that included free shipping and a free TV. (I think the TV was 19" Tosheba)
The link on the computer gave a phone number to call which I did and the person agreed to help. I explained I was trying to order on-line but was having problems but wanted to take advantage of the offer which included a discounted price, free shipping, and a free TV. The person agreed to help and we completed the order (order number-BBY01-300482073457).
Later I discovered I was charged $100 shipping and when the refrigerator was delivered, there was no TV.
I contacted Best Buy and talked to Sonya. She listened to my complaint and agreed to send my request to the department "Promotions". I asked her to transfer me to a supervisor. She did this by computer and the supervisor (Stewart)was too busy to talk to a customer. I asked her to leave him a message to call me. I also asked for a way to get back in touch with her in case of problems and she gave me a case ID#66386168.
Later when I hadn't heard from the promotions dept I called again and talked to a Charles. He was nice but could not help me so I asked to talk to a supervisor. Charles contacted supervisor (Stewart) again and again he was too busy to talk to me. At this time I am thinking for some unknown reason he doesn't want to talk to me. So we end the conversation. I wait a few more days and on Thanksgiving day I get a message on my phone saying I didn't earn a TV. The person ends the conversation without a direct number to her of even a number to the promotions department in case I had any questions. At this time I am still out the reimbursement for the $100 in shipping they charged my credit card and getting the TV they promised. When you take into account the lack of communication with the supervisor I am thinking...they know exactly what they are doing...this appears to be very similar to a "bait and switch" scam!
Beware of doing business with BEST BUY! I feel it is very obvious...they are not willing to make good on their promises!

Last edited by mopedal; 12-07-2009 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: correction

Old 12-07-2009, 07:04 AM

25,953 posts, read 27,150,342 times
Yeah, their delivery drivers went speeding down my street and ran over and killed my dog and when I called the manager he put his hand over the mouth piece, but I could still hear him telling someone else why I was calling and they were laughing. I will never, ever set foot in one of their stores. I was so disgusted with them I could have made thousands off of them as a client and passed it off to a collegue instead.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:30 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,417,179 times
I used to shop there every now and then but I can get what I want elsewhere for a lot cheaper.
Plus, the associates were either unfriendly or gave long, drawn-out wishy-washy answers whenever I asked a questions and never got right to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
My latest is Office Depot. Bought a laptop there and was told by the salesmen and the gal that rang us out that if we saw it advertised for a lower price at OD later they would refund the difference. Well we did. I went in to get the difference and they would only refund the difference in their price, not the rebates. When I reminded him that was not what his employees told me (he was a manger) he said I was mistaken. No, I said, your employees both lied to me. He did not like that. Tough. Lying by omission is still lying.

So last week I get a postcard from OD rebate: It's denied because I returned the laptop. The manager decided to get even. Took 5 calls and talking with a few idiots both at the store and at the rebate center before I got it straightened out. If anyone from the Office Depot rebate center reads this: Fire John and give Maria a raise.

Needles to say OD is not getting my business and I'm steering clients away from them. Rip me off for $40 and I'll make sure you lose more than that in the long run.
A very similar thing happened to my mother when she bought my sister a laptop at Office Depot. The price went down practically the next day and my mother went right back to them and they gave her a big song and dance before they let her have any of the money they promised and then didn't want to give her the rebate.

Last edited by Puru; 12-07-2009 at 02:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products